Clubs In Northern Melbourne That Do Flyball And Tracking?

As title says, flailing about in google trying to find somewhere that isn't too far away that ideally do flyball and tracking.

Not interested in a super competitive club, one that is welcoming enough to a keen but inexperienced handler and her big mixed breed ;)

Interesting in tracking but just had flyball suggested to me. Hoping there's a 2 in 1 club nearby, somewhere. damned if i can find them on google though.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As title says, flailing about in google trying to find somewhere that isn't too far away that ideally do flyball and tracking.

Not interested in a super competitive club, one that is welcoming enough to a keen but inexperienced handler and her big mixed breed ;)

Interesting in tracking but just had flyball suggested to me. Hoping there's a 2 in 1 club nearby, somewhere. damned if i can find them on google though.

I was in Sydney but when I looked into flyball I found it a bit of a hard nut to crack. As soon as I said "casual" I hardly got a response - so... um...

It can be quite hard on their bodies too - but that's all based on internet research and observation. Not actual experience so maybe others with 'real' knowledge will correct me?

Yeah, I suspect finding one that isn't super competitive will be difficult. Really not a fan of the super competitive culture, had some bad experiences with comp. obed. people and agility people so looking at....uh...alternative activities that could be fun...and safe and controlled that also teach us new things. some fun structured activity...

Am tentatively interested in RallyO too, but that seems a bit easier to find. But I'm looking for things that get Thistle out away from me and help build up some confidence being at a distance with a job to do. ergo tracking, and flyball (that has just been suggested to me by some ppl)

But are also not 2-3 hours away!

Edited by Thistle the dog

Thanks PK

I did try the GSD place near us because they gave tracking and rallyo. They won't have a mixed breed though.

the malamute club is completely welcoming, but alas thistle won't weightpull in public - the people watching make her too nervous to enjoy it and I won't force her.

And the ess tracking lot said we are welcome to do tracking with them (they clash with my obedience though and are a far distance. But id Like to one day because the appearance difference would look funny)

I've had a place in Keillor suggested and their website looks much more promising. I'll give them a call today to chat about it. They have more activities and training than the GSD available too, I think we could easily meet their lvl 4 standards to attend rallyo classes.

At least I'm getting a collection of different options, but dsys and times are harder to match

Tracking is finished for the year now because now the snakes are coming out. However contact the Tracking club of Vic, they're a friendly lot. They do a tracking workshop in Autumn each year, most people love it as it is overnight and very social and of course then when everyone is all flaked out around the fire all the crazy stories come out. :laugh: Not many of the obedience clubs do "formal" tracking training as it is very difficult and time consuming to do it that way. The GSD club are running a track and search trial at KCC soon if you wanted to go volunteer to help (no such thing as too many volunteers!) you'll meet a lot of tracking people and they will point you in the right direction. Dogs have to be tracking champions to trial in track and search.

Most obedience clubs will do rally o. Don't let people spoil things for you, most obedience people are in it for a fun day out with their dogs but of course everyone is different and you get those who trial for HIT or for 1st place. Really though most of us are just relieved to get a pass card at the end of the day and anything else is a bonus! :D

While I don't do flyball, I know a lot of people who do. From what I can gather it is a lot more competitive than agility, and being a team sport I have heard it gets quite nasty!

There are different grades? levels? based on their time, so the lower levels with slower times are probably less competitive than those at the top.

I personally find it waaaay too manic and too much barking for me, and my current dog is too amped up as it is, don't need anything like flyball to send him any higher :laugh:

I personally find it waaaay too manic and too much barking for me, and my current dog is too amped up as it is, don't need anything like flyball to send him any higher :laugh:

Actually that is a good point. I probably wouldn't recommend it for Thistle. Lots of barking, lots of dogs running all over the place. It is pretty chaotic. If you don't like one dog running through your class than flyball is really going to freak you out.

Actually that is a good point. I probably wouldn't recommend it for Thistle. Lots of barking, lots of dogs running all over the place. It is pretty chaotic. If you don't like one dog running through your class than flyball is really going to freak you out.

Agreed. Barking dogs at agility are bad enough!!!

I guess I was hoping there is some kind of small casual watered down version of it? Where people are in it for fun and learning, testing their own skills without getting overly competitive.

I am hearing many kind things on rallyo and thistle and I have had 2 informal goes at it. But I don't think at any point the dog gets to work away from you?

I guess I was hoping there is some kind of small casual watered down version of it? Where people are in it for fun and learning, testing their own skills without getting overly competitive.

I am hearing many kind things on rallyo and thistle and I have had 2 informal goes at it. But I don't think at any point the dog gets to work away from you?

Honestly anything you do will build confidence...no matter whether they work close or not. I would look at Rally, Noseworks or Tracking...I rarely go to a club now...my learning is online, at 4 week classes (2 hour round trip) or seminars.

Yeah, I wasn't sure whether to mention it as maybe it's more of a future goal, but I completely agree about flyball. :o I've seen a couple of demonstrations and they are hectic. So much barking and dogs flying around everywhere... hence the name I suppose!

Tracking and rally-o sound right up your alley, I bet you two would be great at it. Nosework would also be a great confidence booster for Thistle. It's been amazing seeing dogs come out of their shells in class.

I'm now too petrified to try a working spot at a seminar, did one for the fist time on Wed (all others I have gone to have been auditing spots) and it was a total disaster :( . Don't know if I could face that again!

Something like that :laugh:

It's been described as herding using balls instead of sheep, so the dogs move big balls around, generally going a distance, going around the balls and bringing them back to an area near the handler. Looks like fun!