Clubs In Northern Melbourne That Do Flyball And Tracking?

...Treibball

that video actually demonstrates pretty good why it is - IMO - a bad idea if you would use 'Treibball' as a preparation for herding: the dog gets trained to contact the ball (because he can't move it otherwise); in herding you don't want this contact as it would dramatically increase the risk of uncontrolled nipping. Now try to explain this to a dog that is trained upfront on a ball while is in the paddock with sheep ...

Who said that it was a good preparation for herding.

No one - but I'm pretty sure that based on PK's comment some people would have thought that it could be used to prepare their dog for an envisaged herding workshop.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody said it was preparation for herding! It is something people might want to try if they don't want to do herding.

I have done some herding, I found it a bit stressful for me :o I prefer agility. I think Treibball looks like lots of fun, I am still quite tempted to give it a go sometime.

Em prefers ducks for retrieving :o

Poppy thought herding ducks was dumb. She lives only for sheep! Amber might like ducks judging by how she plays with magpies!

It's funny how the instinct runs deep. The first time Em was faced with a duck retrieve she was a bit horrified - they are very strong smelling and are similar in that way to hares vs rabbits. However, pretty quickly she decided that ducks were second only to rabbits lol

Nobody said it was preparation for herding! It is something people might want to try if they don't want to do herding.

I have done some herding, I found it a bit stressful for me :o I prefer agility. I think Treibball looks like lots of fun, I am still quite tempted to give it a go sometime.

don't be so selfish :D ...ask your dog what he prefers; my dog would gave up treats, runs with other dogs, agility and obedience all together for herding sheep. Because the arousal level is so high and the training is so intense I believe the 'normal' agility and obedience training will benefit from such training too: if your (herding) dog do the stands, drops, left and right turns and recalls while with sheep in the paddock he will follow your cues anywhere else.

ETA: sorry, we getting off topic - maybe time for a new herding thread.

Edited by Willem

don't be so selfish :D ...ask your dog what he prefers; my dog would gave up treats, runs with other dogs, agility and obedience all together for herding sheep. Because the arousal level is so high and the training is so intense I believe the 'normal' agility and obedience training will benefit from such training too: if your (herding) dog do the stands, drops, left and right turns and recalls while with sheep in the paddock he will follow your cues anywhere else.

Luckily, the dog doesn't know what he is missing out on :laugh: and as long as we are doing something, he is happy. I am having overarousal issues with him, so really not keen on putting him on sheep :laugh: Someone has suggested this may help, but I don't know if my stress levels can handle it :laugh:

Luckily, the dog doesn't know what he is missing out on :laugh: and as long as we are doing something, he is happy. I am having overarousal issues with him, so really not keen on putting him on sheep :laugh: Someone has suggested this may help, but I don't know if my stress levels can handle it :laugh:

ha, ha ...when the trainer asked me to let her off the leash for the first time while in the paddock with 3 sheep, I had to ask him 3 times what he meant as I thought that I understood him wrong and I feared for a bloodshed :D ...but then one of the most amazing things I ever experienced with my dog happened: she suddenly behaved like a trained herding dog and I could keep her quite easily from the sheep respectively from nipping...never underestimate your dog / Kelpie!

Edited by Willem

deep in your Kelpie's brain there is this one inbred instinct that will hold him back from making the final kill ...he might try to nip to make them move, but that is not so difficult to control if there are only 3 sheep in the paddock (the next day with 30 (?) sheep that couldn't move so freely in a small paddock it was pretty challenging so)...so even in such a high arousal state you can let him more or less just follow his instincts - if it is an experienced trainer he/she knows whether the dog is good to go off-leash or not. For the dog it is a game, you just have to explain him that there are still a few rules that need to be followed :D .

you know you want to do it one day!

Thistle have you looked at private places that offer agility? Underdog Training popped up on my FB this morning with an agility course. Underdog Training is run by a DOL member. Fairly sure their agility is more a fun thing.