Purchased Dog But Previous Owner Wants Back?

Remidog

It's up to the old owner to transfer the microchip details, and there should have been a transfer of ownership done, even if it was just written on a piece of paper and signed by both the old owner and yourself, so there's a bit of a grey area there.

When I moved from 5 acres to a town block many years ago, I worried that it would have been too small an area for my large dog at the time, and had the offer to rehome her to a friend's larger property. I did think about it, but couldn't part with her and she lived with me very happily for another 7 years, until she died at 17. We made it work, so I do understand the old owner's change of heart in your situation.

I would have a big talk to him, and would give him his dog back.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would return the dog for full refund.

Tho the people who were rehoming him - might find they're in trouble after living in the smaller place and the children forget all the promises they made about helping look after and clean up after the dog. And then they might try to rehome again.

I think that's why a lot of rescues - have trial periods because people don't understand what they're doing until they do it.

I would also suggest to this guy - when (if) you give the dog back that - if it's not working out in the next (two weeks / set a time limit) can he call you with first option.

And when he comes to get the dog - write down his licence plate - just in case.

I would definitely keep the dog. I don't know why, but something just doesn't sound right to me. Who is to say that the previous owners will not change their mind again? And who knows, they might have even got a higher offer from someone else?

If you really love the dog, feel committed to it and prepared to look after it for its whole life, you sound like the perfect owners to me! What matters should be the best interest of the dog. Sorry, but the previous owners had their chance.

Edited by Guest

I also say keep the dog but would be worried the old owners will just steal her back when you are not home. So send her back and cease all dialogue with them. Put your name down with several breeders about wanting an older dog and wait.

I did wonder about them just taking her if you don't return her too.

Small yards are not really an issue, unless you have a dog who does big zoomies, mine is tiny, however its the fact they already admit they dont have time to walk her, that is where i see the problem.

I don't know what i would do, although i reckon i probably would feel really guilty keeping her.

If you can hold off looking till they are sure they can make it work give her back ,if they find they cant cope you get her back? Wether they then feel too embarrassed later to admit that and contact you is a risk.

Edited by juice

I also say keep the dog but would be worried the old owners will just steal her back when you are not home. So send her back and cease all dialogue with them. Put your name down with several breeders about wanting an older dog and wait.

Yes I'm afraid this is going through my mind too :(

It's up to the old owner to transfer the microchip details, and there should have been a transfer of ownership done, even if it was just written on a piece of paper and signed by both the old owner and yourself, so there's a bit of a grey area there.

When I moved from 5 acres to a town block many years ago, I worried that it would have been too small an area for my large dog at the time, and had the offer to rehome her to a friend's larger property. I did think about it, but couldn't part with her and she lived with me very happily for another 7 years, until she died at 17. We made it work, so I do understand the old owner's change of heart in your situation.

I would have a big talk to him, and would give him his dog back.

When we got our rescue dog we had to change the microchip details. She was still registered in the state she was born in.

Yes I'm afraid this is going through my mind too :(

Me three...

Having recently had a similar experience....all I can say is I feel for you. Horrible position to be in with little chance of a happy outcome for all.

Our situation was a bit different in that we adopted our guy from the pound rather than purchasing him directly from the owner. We opted to return the dog....absolutely heartbreaking for us & still not sure I have done the right thing :(

I wonder if they told the kids that they were rehoming the dog? It is possible that they didn't and then had a rather dramatic reaction from the kids when their pet was gone. The kids may get over it by Sunday. If they still want her back by then I would return her.

I wonder if they told the kids that they were rehoming the dog? It is possible that they didn't and then had a rather dramatic reaction from the kids when their pet was gone. The kids may get over it by Sunday. If they still want her back by then I would return her.

That may possibly be the case? I'm not entirely sure. But yes, we will see how Sunday goes and hopefully we can get the situation resolved, whichever way it goes!

How old are the children and are they the couples children or grandchildren ?

I think it is bad form on their part to not involve the children in the re home process to let the children meet you and let them see that the dog has a good home with you.

My parents gave away 2 of my dogs when i was not home and i came back to find them gone.

It would have been easier to deal with if i 'd had a say about where they went and given time to accept the situation.

We re homed a dog to a relative when my kids were small on advise from trainer and vet as the dog was not suited to children and the kids became scared of her and stopped wanting to play in the yard.

We all went together to take the dog to her new Adult home with no kids and the children cried and wailed all the way home in the car that she was the best dog ever;but once home they ran outside to play and hardly mentioned her again.They did get to visit her again a few months later but showed little interest past an initial pat.

The following year we adopted a dog from a shelter who truly was the best dog ever for our family;was wonderful with the kids and we had her for 9 wonderful years.

At first i thought you should give her back but i wonder if the dog would be happier and get more attention with you .

You could suggest that the children visit the dog once and see that you are taking good care of the dog or wait a couple of weeks and see if the old owners have adjusted to him being gone or still want him back.Your 2 year old will take to another dog if you decide to return the dog but i am leaning towards you should keep this one.

I think it is bad form on their part to not involve the children in the re home process to let the children meet you and let them see that the dog has a good home with you.

My parents gave away 2 of my dogs when i was not home and i came back to find them gone.

It would have been easier to deal with if i 'd had a say about where they went and given time to accept the situation.

We re homed a dog to a relative when my kids were small on advise from trainer and vet as the dog was not suited to children and the kids became scared of her and stopped wanting to play in the yard.

We all went together to take the dog to her new Adult home with no kids and the children cried and wailed all the way home in the car that she was the best dog ever;but once home they ran outside to play and hardly mentioned her again.They did get to visit her again a few months later but showed little interest past an initial pat.

The following year we adopted a dog from a shelter who truly was the best dog ever for our family;was wonderful with the kids and we had her for 9 wonderful years.

At first i thought you should give her back but i wonder if the dog would be happier and get more attention with you .

You could suggest that the children visit the dog once and see that you are taking good care of the dog or wait a couple of weeks and see if the old owners have adjusted to him being gone or still want him back.Your 2 year old will take to another dog if you decide to return the dog but i am leaning towards you should keep this one.

Thank you for the reply. I believe they are teenage girl/girls. From the conversation we had I believed that they knew about the rehoming as one of the reasons she was getting rehomed was that they weren't spending very much time with the dog. I think they did know and it's more of a case of they missed her once she was gone. Which makes me feel terrible of course!

The owner is coming to visit on Sunday but I'm not sure if he plans on bringing the children or not. Will confirm today. We will see how it goes. He did say he does feel she is in a better home with us, but just that they miss the dog terribly.

I'm still so torn! I was hoping to get a lot of replies that all leaned one way on here, but it seems everyone helping is torn too! Lol.

With all the info posted here so far, I'd be inclined to keep the dog... you could offer the possibility of occasional play dates at a park somewhere between you and them, and the old owner's daughters can see him every now and then until they are used to not having to clean up his poo and all the other non-glamorous tasks dog ownership requires... and lose interest...

T.

Its a tricky one, but both sides need to take the children out of the equation.

Yes, their kids might be upset but the dog will still have a tiny yard and no walks,not fair on a young GSD to make a call just to please the kids.

Same with your side, your child is young, a week down the track it might not even notice the dog, right now its a new thing to have around.

I wouldnt base my decision on how any of the kids feel, although it sounds harsh, who can give the dog the best outcome?

Legally, has the old owner signed transfer of owner papers?

My immediate reaction was give it back, but will they offload her agin a few months down the track when all the reasons they have now for rehoming her are still there?

Brilliant post Jules - my thoughts exactly. And I suspect they will unload again when you have a dog like a GSD going stir crazy in a courtyard. In my view their initial decision to re-home was probably right and in the dogs best interests. IMO this is not about the children concerned.

Some years ago I had a call from someone who wanted to rehome her westie (for good reasons). But after talking to her I just felt that this was going to be trouble with her letting the dog go. So I said give it six weeks and think hard and long about this as its for good - from my perspective with a surrender there is no turning back and I make people sign a surrender form stating this precisely to avoid this situation.

I asked her to ring me back in six weeks if she still wanted to surrender. She did - but my instincts were right. I would still get the odd calls or email from her three years later enquiring about the dog. :( So yes its fraught with difficulty.

Legally as money and papers have changed hands (a clear transaction) and I assume any microchip has been changed or in the process of being changed I suspect the dog is legally yours. But the question becomes not what is best for the children but what is best for the dog. And I think you need to work that out and talk it through with the previous owners and reach an agreement. I'm going to guess that your family is whats best for the dog. Hope that helps.

Edited by westiemum

With all the info posted here so far, I'd be inclined to keep the dog... you could offer the possibility of occasional play dates at a park somewhere between you and them, and the old owner's daughters can see him every now and then until they are used to not having to clean up his poo and all the other non-glamorous tasks dog ownership requires... and lose interest...

T.

Hi T,

I normally agree with you- but not this time. I wouldn't offer play dates. I think it just prolongs the hurt for the relinquishing family. A clean final 'break' I think is kinder for them and the dog.

Thank you for the reply. I believe they are teenage girl/girls. From the conversation we had I believed that they knew about the rehoming as one of the reasons she was getting rehomed was that they weren't spending very much time with the dog. I think they did know and it's more of a case of they missed her once she was gone. Which makes me feel terrible of course!

The owner is coming to visit on Sunday but I'm not sure if he plans on bringing the children or not. Will confirm today. We will see how it goes. He did say he does feel she is in a better home with us, but just that they miss the dog terribly.

I'm still so torn! I was hoping to get a lot of replies that all leaned one way on here, but it seems everyone helping is torn too! Lol.

Well while i understand that they all miss her and sad she is going;if they'' didn't spend much time with the dog'' then i don't see that changing for long if she goes back.

Keep her,cancel Sunday and send them a few pictures and an update and leave it at that ;the longer it 's up in the air the harder it will be for them to adjust and it's not fair to you to have this worry on you.You should be relaxing and enjoying the time with your dog.