Another Puppy Scam - Course Of Action?

Scottsmum

Hi all,

Posting on behalf of a facebook acquaintance. Will (try to) keep it short... but it's a bit convoluted and ... um... a good reminder to really do your homework before buying a pup.

This person organised to buy a puppy (bitch, full register) from breeder in Aus & have it shipped to NZ. Paid full amount, finds out it's a scam - someone has been using this breeders paperwork (or a variation of) and name and selling non-existent pups. This person aka [the buyer] has now lost their money & does not have a pup.

[the buyer] has a copy of the ANKC certificate of kennel registration with three names on it (looks photoshopped to me) and has a link to the breeders DOL page & a photo of the membership card showing membership to a state body showing current membership & number.

I noted that the DOL listing is for a different state for the membership card for the state body. As well as in a different name (same surname) *I learnt while typing this up that the money went to a bank account in a third state. LOL - helps to know your geography!

Apparently when [the buyer] contacted the breeder through DOL [the buyer] was told by the person who owns the DOL listing (the stud name being ripped off) that they don't "want to know about, and told me I was stupid and don't contact [breeder] again"

[the buyer] is speaking to NZ police tomorrow and also their bank to try and get the funds returned. I also suggested calling the two state membership bodies to alert them to the scam as well as the website [the buyer] made original contact with the fake seller.

What else can [the buyer] do?

I know you mentioned the buyer ringing bank tomorrow

but have they tried to ring today and "might" be able to stop the transaction or at least alert the bank of what has happened , some banks have numbers can contact AH

Buyer says they've contacted their bank already ... and it's gone from their account. AU and NZ banks have some oddly strange differences so ... I dunno

I'm pretty sure that Oz and NZ would have some trade agreement that prevents each country's citizens scamming the other.

But it might get hard to persuade the law enforcement to follow up fraud on the amount a puppy would cost.

But given the customer has the bank account details in Australia - it should be do-able.

The Australian bank ought to co-operate or they run the risk of being accused of supporting international fraud. ie the press would love that right now given the banks are in trouble in front of a Senate enquiry right now.

I suspect that it was a lot of money Mrs RB. Popular breed, bitch, full register & *shudder* one of those colours ... if you know what I mean.. I did also suggest that but i think the buyer is a bit overwhelmed & feeling sheepish..

What doggy based things can be done? I assume contcting all three (2 state bodies) and ANKC Is about all?

Her bank here in aus , should be able to tell her what name and or some info for the one in NZ ( I had to contact mine years ago over something , cant remember what it was but I was given details ) and then the NZ bank might be able to give some info if explains the whole thing

alert the police in her state so they can note this scam ( SAPOL in SA do alert people to scams )

I would say quite a bit of money involved

some friend I know also got caught a year or so ago with a dog they got online :(

I would contact the dog associations in the states to alert them

more that know the more can save someone else getting caught out

I suspect that it was a lot of money Mrs RB. Popular breed, bitch, full register & *shudder* one of those colours

A lot of money to you and me - but people are being (romance or property) scammed for hundreds of thousands - I don't even know of winning greyhounds worth that much. And the fraud people also have to deal with corporate fraud which can be millions of dollars. So asking one of those guys to drop the million dollar case for something less than $10,000 - it might be hard.

Tho someone in NSW did puppy scams that was getting towards six figures - I think the cops did eventually follow up on that one.

If it was this person - NSW police would be interested.

http://www.cootamundraherald.com.au/story/3253329/puppy-fraud-ends-in-bond/

25-year-old Cootamundra woman Monica Jones was arrested after advertising the puppies online and collecting $4000 and $5500 from two prospective purchasers.

When the buyers did not receive the puppies, which Miss Jones never had in the first place, police were contacted and Miss Jones arrested.