Heeling Tips And Tricks?

Thinking about heeling ???? Been slacking on it.

The current challenge for us :

1. Staying in heel after receiving a reward

2. Crabbing behind me

3. Crabbing in front of me!

No idea for 1 beyond repetition, but for 2 and 3 I will throw the reward out and to the side left. She likes to anticipate things so she drops back so head level reward but because going to the side it encourages the behind crabbing so sometimes I throw to the right in front of me. Balancing towards a happy straight medium!

What tweaks and tips and small adjustments does everyone else do?

Edited by Thistle the dog

Thinking about heeling ???? Been slacking on it.

The current challenge for us :

1. Staying in heel after receiving a reward

2. Crabbing behind me

3. Crabbing in front of me!

No idea for 1 beyond repetition, but for 2 and 3 I will throw the reward out and to the side left. She likes to anticipate things so she drops back so head level reward but because going to the side it encourages the behind crabbing so sometimes I throw to the right in front of me. Balancing towards a happy straight medium!

What tweaks and tips and small adjustments does everyone else do?

Experience taught me teach it well in the first place..............most dogs seem to think it means walkies, we aren't teaching it as a position to maintain.......I often suggest changing the command and going back to square one

I found it helpful to exercise it on staircases (also a good exercise for the own fitness level :) ) - when going up and down, the stairs dictate a certain rhythm and force the dog into the right position. If the staircase is interrupted by rest platforms: even better as these provide holding points. Find some public places with a lot of stairs and off you go....

Eta disclaimer: obviously exercising it on stairs is not suitable for all sizes of dogs - smaller dogs might struggle.

Edited by Willem

When you say staying in heel after receiving a reward, wouldn't the reward terminate the exercise? Wondering if you mean getting the dog back into heel position after rewarding them?

Assuming you are talking about competition heel work, if the dog is lagging behind and forging in front it sounds like they don't have a solid understanding of heel position. I don't add forward motion until my dogs can execute heel position precisely and consistently. That may be one area where you are going wrong.

My rewards don't usually mean we are done working on something but in this case, she seems to think it does? I probably taught her it that way or something I don't rightly recall, but it is a pain to undo!

Not competition levels, but the aim is it to be similar enough. For getting through crowds or tricky situations or anytime I fancy that extra focus where ignore all distraction and close up to me. Eventually.

She doesn't need to be perfectly straight and even, but the understanding enough that I'm not knocking into her and she's not too wobbly on moving back and forwards.

The position is good for stationary or when only going one or two steps. Seems to wobbly in and out when going more than a few metres (and sometimes so excited she offers sound ???????????????? the more excited the more the crookeds)

What about getting a wooden spoon and coating it with peanut butter? She'd continually have to be in position to get the reward?

I haven't used this technique so it may be inappropriate for what you're doing, but I know some people use it for loose leash walking and conditioning exercises.

Some people also freeze the peanut butter on the spoon so it lasts longer.

Edited by Papillon Kisses

My rewards don't usually mean we are done working on something but in this case, she seems to think it does? I probably taught her it that way or something I don't rightly recall, but it is a pain to undo!

If you aren't sure, the dog has zero chance of getting it either ;)

The position is good for stationary or when only going one or two steps

Can she maintain the position if you step side ways? or backwards? or turn left or right? This clip of young puppy Blaze a few month ago might give you some insight into what I mean when I ask for a really solid understanding of position;

Oh yes if we are stationary or moving one or two steps is okay. But the longer the heeling duration the more wonky it gets. Some of it I think is extreme excitement over getting a reward too so I probably just need to dial the criteria back a bit. And use less exciting rewards.

We were doing a bit last night with the rewsrd being fetch and she was a bit better. Did keep crabbing around and creeping forward st the start but smoothed out. I'll take a video tonight if not too dark!