Bicycle Attachments

BlaznHotAussies

Hi all,

So my favourite way to exercise is to take the dogs on a bike ride. With the weather warming up & snakes getting around more active I find myself less able to relax when the dogs are running alongside me closer to the bush or when they dash off quickly after a scent. I tried having the main instigator on a lead that I held but when he got tired I ended up pulling him up the hill AND trying to steer straight. Not as easy as it sounds laugh.gif

I'm looking at this which seems really good & lightweight. Has anyone had any experiences with it? Or good experiences with another system?

It's the "Springer Dog Bike Jogger". Just found it on Ebay.

post-44475-0-82142500-1477021287_thumb.jpg

post-44475-0-45578400-1477021298_thumb.jpg

I bought the Sprenger, but it didnt mention it fits on the post under your saddle, and as mine is at its lowest height there was no where to attach it to.

So i got a Walkydog with the low rider attachment, and it was great.

I bought the Sprenger, but it didnt mention it fits on the post under your saddle, and as mine is at its lowest height there was no where to attach it to.

So i got a Walkydog with the low rider attachment, and it was great.

Ah good point, How high up does your bike seat need to be? I have my seat up about a hands' width... Will look up Walkydog :) Reviews look really good on that too!!! Do you think it would work with two dogs? I have three & usually take them all but my older bitch stays right near me anyway & prefers to conserve her energy not run off in every direction.

Edited by Scootaloo

I found the walkdiog much easier to fit , the low rider just screws onto the wheel middle . I needed it as my cattle dog was too short for the springer too . You could fit one each side of the bike . He used to trot alongside most of the time on his own , but I would clip him on on roads etc

I looooove my springer and use it most days during the mild weather. I bought a new one this year after having the previous one for over 10 years (and it was second hand when I got it) Never been pulled off the bike and trained 4 dogs for the ET with us, as well as keeping the show dogs fit

Mine is attached under the seat but I do secure it with a screw through into the bike.

2210BA2B-C93C-49C4-9623-86502197FB16_zpst4fpwuvk.jpg

I looooove my springer and use it most days during the mild weather. I bought a new one this year after having the previous one for over 10 years (and it was second hand when I got it) Never been pulled off the bike and trained 4 dogs for the ET with us, as well as keeping the show dogs fit

Mine is attached under the seat but I do secure it with a screw through into the bike.

2210BA2B-C93C-49C4-9623-86502197FB16_zpst4fpwuvk.jpg

Oh that's so good to see in action!!! And well done on the 4 dogs getting their ET!! I'm actually hoping to title mine in ET (especially my 2yo bitch, she runs along with me for the 10km and I'm sure if I turned around to ride home she'd do that too. embarrass.gif ) but no idea how to go about it!

Ah and you've got your own lead set up. That's a good idea, is the lead a bungee type?

We have a bit of modifying to do, but this is what we came up with yesterday afternoon thumbsup1.gif

Tried it out this morning. The only problem I encountered with using an ocky strap was that it came off Willow a couple of times embarrass.gif Now to get some harnesses as I don't think the collar would be super comfortable (though it is a nice padded Ezydog one). She seemed to enjoy our run/ride today & I had peace of mind that she wasn't going to accidentally disturb a snake (we did almost disturb a pair of bobtails...).

So besides modifying the clips & getting harnesses, I reckon it's a great success biggrin.gif and Willow does too. Also please excuse her shocking appearance - SIL's dog came over the road so they were all playing & rolled in the mud & played some more.

post-44475-0-96139100-1477103285_thumb.jpg

Glad I saw this, I just bought a Springer for my return to civilization. My dogs follow me fine out bush and will even heel next to the bike but there is no one or other dogs around out there and there are too many opportunities to find a bait on our road trip

I'd suggest changing the occy strap ASAP. If something goes wrong and she pulls and the end slips, she can lose an eye from the recoil.......

A better option would be a double ended dog lead. You can get the clips from hardware stores. I've got some leads, one end circle the other a clip, you thread the clip through the circle and can clip onto something. Or you could use a clip to attach the circle end to the bike.

Scoot, the walkydog end has a spring in it, allows for the dog to pull a little without you coming off,so why dont you buy a short lead with a clip one end and stick another onto the other end.There are leads that are springy , cant think who does them which would be perfect.

Thanks guys, I did say I'm changing the strap so don't freak out!! The only thing that went wrong this morning was the hook came off Willow's collar a few times & ended up dragging on the ground until I realised. My job today is to look for a clip & maybe a ring to replace the hooks with. Looking at buying a "Zero Shock Extension" from Ezydog for the shock absorption.

The Springer takes care of the shock absorption really well so I just use a double ended lead. I had the pink one made by Elite greyhound out of Apollo strapping and it's been perfect - though I now use a custom made thick leather strap with brass clips so I don't have to worry my girl will snap it when she takes off after a kangaroo! She need to be on a short lead right at the side of the bike for that reason but other dogs on the past have been fine on longer length leads.

The harness we use is the Ruffwear webmaster, never rubs and very adjustable. It's a great secure harness for lots of different uses

The Springer takes care of the shock absorption really well so I just use a double ended lead. I had the pink one made by Elite greyhound out of Apollo strapping and it's been perfect - though I now use a custom made thick leather strap with brass clips so I don't have to worry my girl will snap it when she takes off after a kangaroo! She need to be on a short lead right at the side of the bike for that reason but other dogs on the past have been fine on longer length leads.

The harness we use is the Ruffwear webmaster, never rubs and very adjustable. It's a great secure harness for lots of different uses

Thanks for the tip!! Wow so it doesn't affect you when she takes off after a roo!? That's so impressive. I think our homemade job is like the WalkyDog, but if it snaps off or something (most likely to happen when we're putting it on and off the ute) and I get sick of getting Dwayne to make a new one I'm still keen on the Springer.

Have you had any experience with Ezydog Harnesses? I like the idea of the dogs having harnesses that match their collars embarrass.gif and really like the thick neoprene & tough buckles.

A tip for harnesses like the Julius K9 type. I went to Supercheap and bought sheepskin seat belt protectors and put them on the chest and belly straps

That is a really good idea!! The only thing that might be a problem would be burrs & seeds getting stuck in it but if they're cheap then easily replaceable :)

Thanks for the tip!! Wow so it doesn't affect you when she takes off after a roo!? That's so impressive. I think our homemade job is like the WalkyDog, but if it snaps off or something (most likely to happen when we're putting it on and off the ute) and I get sick of getting Dwayne to make a new one I'm still keen on the Springer.

Have you had any experience with Ezydog Harnesses? I like the idea of the dogs having harnesses that match their collars embarrass.gif and really like the thick neoprene & tough buckles.

I do really like their chest plate harnesses- my previous dogs all wore one of these and had them for YEARS.

Unfortunately my dogs are all too awkwardly shaped now to wear one of these :laugh:

Not a fan of their quick fit and convert harnesses at all.

A tip for harnesses like the Julius K9 type. I went to Supercheap and bought sheepskin seat belt protectors and put them on the chest and belly straps

That is a really good idea!! The only thing that might be a problem would be burrs & seeds getting stuck in it but if they're cheap then easily replaceable :)

I am pretty sure they were under $10

The Springer arrived and I tried it out this morning. There are a few issues with it hitting the back of my thigh and my foot unless I move it all the way in on the pedal. Otherwise it worked pretty well I have it on the left side so i can be between the dogs and any traffic which means a rethink fo ghetting on and off the bike. Jesse want to run faster than whatever speed I am at so there is a bit of tuning up needed there and Jonah wants to run further away from everything but it started settling down and he had a loose leash on the way back.

All in all a fairly positive experience