What's This?

Khai1993

Just purchased this purebred Rottweiler and have owned him for 3 days and while he lays down on his back there is a 10 cent size bulge in his belly. Can anyone tell me what it is wether it's a umbilical hernia or something else. And is it something to get fixed strait away? Thankyoupost-55191-0-53652900-1477036877_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Khai1993

Im not sure but what did your vet say when you took him for his check up? If you haven't yet, I strongly recommend you do in case they find a health issue with him you weren't aware of. Good luck with him :)

Edited by Roova

Check back with the breeders as well as a vet check :) if it's a hernia, it's odd the breeder or their vet didn't notice/tell you .

make sure the vet does a thorough check .. of all things puppy - teeth/jaw , eyes/ears/testicles/ joints/ skin/feet .. That way you will have a benchmark :)

Edited by persephone

I did ring the breeders and they were happy to give my money back or pay for the surgery as well. It did have its vet checked and they had said he was all healthy when he was checked and hernia can be something that happen in a matter of days. Thanks guys

It's good your breeder is being supportive. Did you have your own vet check him as well?

Assuming its an umbilical hernia they can be complicated if any intestine is entrapped and do need an operation to put things back where they should be. I was reading most hernias are hereditary and pets with them shouldn't be bred. Hopefully breeding wasn't in your boys' future.

If it's a reducible umbilical hernia, it has not just appeared. The muscle has yet to grow together.

This should have been on your vet report and the breeder should have advised you.

Pop in for a vet check and ask your vet if this hernia is a reducible or non reducible (incarcerated) hernia.

In the mean time, with your finger, try gently manipulating it back in. If it feels like a squishy bit of fat going in and takes a while to pop back out again it is reducible and just keep doing this regularly and it may improve as the stomach muscles develop. Reducible hernias are rarely in need of surgery, though this one does look quite significant.

But definitely get your vet's advice and instruction.