Food Storage

Bushriver

I only feed kibble once or twice a week, except for fosters.

I have a 15kg plastic drum with a lid, plus a 20 kg tin with a lid. The tin came from a pet food manufacturer about 20 years ago and has been great. I don't care that it advertises a brand I no longer use!laugh.gif The plastic drum came from a department store about 15 years ago.

I have also a heavy plastic 20 kg drum with a lid that came as a bonus when you bought two 20kg bags of food - unfortunately the lid of that one is not as heavy and field rats nibbled right through it so it currently is serving as a temporary poop holder instead!

Tin garbage cans (about 50lt) are terrific for large kibble storage if you don't have dogs that can knock off the lid and help themselves, or can put them where the dogs can't access them. Check out homeware and hardware stores for these.

I don't use much kibble so break the bag in to four lidded containers and these all sit inside a larger tub. Each container isn't exposed to air until Im ready to use it so I just hope the kibble is still freshish by then.

maybe buy a second-hand chest freezer,...one of those smaller ones. You can pick them up on Scumtree cheaply (or at the re-cycle dump-shop) They are ideal to store the bags of dog food and the cold will also kill any weevil eggs that happen to be lurking in the kibble.

metal 44 gallon drum. Have had mine for years. I got ones that had had olives in, but I suspect they are imported in plastic now.

Unlike the plastic ones, they are mouse, rat and inquisitive dog proof!

We have an XL sized Dingo Food Storage Bin. Had it for a few years now. It keeps the food fresh, never had any mice or cockroaches get in and certainly no dog break ins either. Also really easy to wipe out. Stores a 20kg bag of kibble with space on top for measuring cups and any open bags of dog treats. Because of the shape it takes up less room in our laundry than a round container.

http://www.petshopdirect.com.au/shop/item/dingo-food-storage-bin-large

We have an XL sized Dingo Food Storage Bin. Had it for a few years now. It keeps the food fresh, never had any mice or cockroaches get in and certainly no dog break ins either. Also really easy to wipe out. Stores a 20kg bag of kibble with space on top for measuring cups and any open bags of dog treats. Because of the shape it takes up less room in our laundry than a round container.

http://www.petshopdirect.com.au/shop/item/dingo-food-storage-bin-large

A persistent dog can get the lid off and/or knock the Dingo bin over... I had a foster puppy do it to mine just the other week... granted, the bin was only about 1/3 full at the time... *grin*

T.

I have several of the ProPlan large tins that hold a large bag. Not even the cat can get the lid off.

Same. Although I noticed at a local store stocking the new proplan bags they had new promotional tins that only fitted tiny 2kg bags!

I have several of the ProPlan large tins that hold a large bag. Not even the cat can get the lid off.

Same. Although I noticed at a local store stocking the new proplan bags they had new promotional tins that only fitted tiny 2kg bags!

Nooo. I love the tins I use one for a bin lol.