Transferring The Value Of Rewards

I agree with Tassie, thank you both Simply Grand and corvus :) great explanations! Loved the article too

Thanks for breaking it down for me, I had thought I was taking it very slowly, but now i see what you mean!

Started implementing it already, getting lots of eye contact outside and recalls from a very close by (step or two)! :) I think i'm going to like this game

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to give a quick update! All the things worked :D Getting great recall even in a park with children playing, balls being thrown and birds on the ground, even from 10m distance (I use a long line as the park is not fenced but in a quiet street)

Sometimes I can’t get her to stop staring at me when we are walking for ages (which makes me uncomfortable so trying to get a little less of that!) great for heeling but I just want loose leash walking without running ahead - guess it just works too well :)

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions :)

Great update!! :thumbsup:

I've forgotten how old she is ... but just a heads up that when she hits that teenage time, she may completely forget all she ever knew, and think the rules don't apply ... if that happens .. just go back and teach her again .. as if she were a baby puppy .. but it comes back a lot faster.

She is almost six months at the moment so not sure if we were just in the start of the teenage phase a few weeks ago? or if its yet to come?

but happy to back track for her, even now I am starting slow each day/so i dont let her run loose as soon as i get to the park, i do a few practice recalls from 1m, 3m, 5m before building up to 10m and then letting of of the long line and sometimes if its not working, we just stay on that level for the day but the park we are going to is not busy, normally pretty empty apart from a couple of kids/birds

Its a fun place to play tug in and run around with her though :)

She is almost six months at the moment so not sure if we were just in the start of the teenage phase a few weeks ago? or if its yet to come?

but happy to back track for her, even now I am starting slow each day/so i dont let her run loose as soon as i get to the park, i do a few practice recalls from 1m, 3m, 5m before building up to 10m and then letting of of the long line and sometimes if its not working, we just stay on that level for the day but the park we are going to is not busy, normally pretty empty apart from a couple of kids/birds

Its a fun place to play tug in and run around with her though :)

:thumbsup: that's perfect, well done. Those easier, "reminder" recalls each time are great because each time you're reinforcing for her that you are stull offering lots of opportunities for reward, plus you're showing her that coming to you doesn't mean the fun is over coz she gets to go off again and keep playing :) I think a lot of people make the mistake of only calling their dog over when it's time to leave (or when they are going to be in trouble) so of course the dog quickly realises that avoiding being caught is much more fun!

Edited by Simply Grand

Thank you Simply Grand! :)

I am amazed and how well its going! Wouldn't have been able to do it without all the advice from this forum!

this isn't a park with dogs though, so she is not really playing as much as sniffing things and coming back to me...

but we play together (some tug/fetch), run around and do some training (other than recall) too, and then we just chill out in the shade together (her idea not mine!)

we will probably go to a busier park down the track and do the same thing there too

in the last week or so she is actually less interested in sniffing and more in just following me around seeing what we'll do next/what treats she can get