Dogs And Asthma

BarbedWire

Sars, you can get quite smalll spacers these days. Good handbag size. My original one is a huge, bulbous shape, which is too bulky to cart around.

Yes, the brochure I was given at the hospital emergency showed smaller spacers, too. Far more convenient for out-and-about use.

Sars, try and organise allergy testing so you know what you are dealing with. If it is dust, a vacuum with a bag is much better than a bagless one that you have to shake the dust out of. Also, clean the filter often - filters are the source of a lot of allergens, and are not looked at regularly. OH fixes vacuums and sees filters in the worst conditions!

I didn't know spacers came in small sizes - this thread has some good information.

Hope you can get some answers and some relief.

Thank you all for your advice. I have seen my doctor and I will be having allergy testing done but my doctor thinks it is unlikely to be my dogs because it would have been bad earlier. It is more likely to be seasonal. :thumbsup: The dogs will stay in my room with me but never on my bed. (Funny how sometimes when you wake up in the morning one of them has snuck up on to the bed so I hope they are listening!!) and I will wash one of them once a week and the other the following week. I will also try to vacuum more often although I do find it very tiring. I will also be getting a smaller spacer. Thanks everyone.

Guest crazydoglady99

There is every chance you'll all think I'm crazy..

If you Google 'Asthma Fedup' you will find Sue Dengates website (fedup.com.au) and some info on things you might not have previously considered.

She has a book about Asthma specifically - can probably find it at the library.

Thanks animallover for that. There is little doubt in my mind but that cold, especially a sudden change in temperature, is a major cause of my asthma. I have just done my shopping and when I opened a freezer door to get my broccoli the gust of cold air when straight to my lungs and my chest tightened and I started coughing.

JayGee I am now on prednisilone and I feel a little high. Does it have that effect on you?

(Yes Jules, I have been making a fool of myself elsewhere. :) Such is life :) )

Thanks animallover for that. There is little doubt in my mind but that cold, especially a sudden change in temperature, is a major cause of my asthma. I have just done my shopping and when I opened a freezer door to get my broccoli the gust of cold air when straight to my lungs and my chest tightened and I started coughing.

JayGee I am now on prednisilone and I feel a little high. Does it have that effect on you?

(Yes Jules, I have been making a fool of myself elsewhere. :) Such is life :) )

Sars, the old cold air trick, gets me all the time! It's a real bugger! I've been on pred for over 30 years sars, I can't remember any early side effects other than being more hungry than usual. I don't experience any side effects these days, but it works really well on me, so hopefully you'll see a difference soon. Don't struggle with your breathing, use your Ventolin.

Yes, best advice ever was given to me by the emergency doctor. Nip struggling to breathe & coughing in the bud.... because that further inflames your lungs setting up a worsening cycle. I learned if asthma symptoms break thro' my preventative measures (flixotide), then I have to hit them immediately with ventolin to stop that cycling. Fortunately, the preventive measures have pretty much covered me, but I know what to do if there's a break thro'.

• 5 weeks later...