Registering Puppy--Desexing Requirements

KLB

Hi all,

In my area of Victoria, I'm supposed to register my puppy at 3 months. She's only 1.8kg and has not been desexed yet. She will be, but once we find the right vet and the time is right; I don't know when the ideal time is, but at barely 3 months and 1.8kg, it seems a little early yet. But to register her with the council, we need proof she has been desexed. I don't want to avoid registering her, but I don't want to rush such a big medical procedure for the sake of bureaucracy. Have others dealt with this? How should I proceed? TIA!

You can get a letter from your vet to say she can't be desexed yet because she is too small.

Vet's letter has to describe a medical condition now, so depends on who you see, no longer acceptable just to say because I don't believe in it, etc.....I know of a pet owner who was harassed by a ranger for months because they had a small dog their vet considered needed to be more mature before desexing

No council requires a dog to be desexed before registration, (except for certain declared dangerous dogs) but state laws require that they offer a considerable discount for desexed animals. Edited to add - I am behind the times it seems and a few councils do have mandatory desexing requirements. icon_smile_mad.gif State law also requires dogs and cats to be registered with council by twelve weeks of age, so you a risking a hefty fine if you do not register her. The fine is a lot more than the difference between the entire and the desexed registration fee.

The law plus her small size probably means that you will need to register before she is desexed and pay the higher fee for the first year.Some councils are reasonable and will refund the difference between registration fees after proof of desexing is received, if it happens within a certain time frame of the original registration This won't apply if your council does have mandatory desexing. Perhaps ask if council will accept veterinary proof of chemical contraception until she is large enough for a general anaesthetic? .

Being too small for safe general anaesthetic IS a medical reason and the council should accept a vet's letter as reason to defer desexing - but they don't have to charge you the lower desexed rate before desexing has actually occurred.

Edited by RuralPug

You can join up to be a member of Dogs Victoria which will waive the mandatory desexing requirement. I believe membership is a little over a hundred.

The other alternative is if you have any close friends or relatives that live within a different council( that don't require mandatory desexing) and register your pup under that address. You can still keep your contact details associated with you pup so this is a viable option. :) good luck!

Edited by Camel

Have you contacted the council directly and asked them about rulings on puppies? Our recognised the puppy pre school certificate for a discount and just noted to send through the certificate from the vet when she is desexed and while it cost more this year the rate would drop next year.

As for the training discount for adults you have to generally pass grade 3 here for adult dogs but for puppies they recognise puppy kindy certificates as 3 month old puppies arent going to be grade 3 trained but starting with puppy training shows you are planning to have a trained dog

• 2 weeks later...

Our council have free registration up to a certain age. I can't remember the exact age, but when I rang up to register she was slightly older and the woman at the Council said, just put her down at that age anyway and its free and next year she will get the cheaper registration because she will be desexed by then. Very nice of her!

I am in a council where you can't register your dogs until they are desexed, not even at the higher rate and I have little dogs, I have always just kept them unregistered and hoped I didn't get a fine, so far I have been lucky.

Personally I think it is ridiculous a council can enforce such a rule.

Edited to add: I register my dogs once they are desexed.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow

I'd have thought that as a rescuer/former rescuer you wouldn't think it funny to shirk your responsibilities, Tdx. :confused:

The money taken in through registrations helps councils emfroce the companion animals act, provide leash free areas and other companion animal programs and activities.

I'd have thought that as a rescuer/former rescuer you wouldn't think it funny to shirk your responsibilities, Tdx. :confused:

The money taken in through registrations helps councils emfroce the companion animals act, provide leash free areas and other companion animal programs and activities.

Fair enough Anne... I never got around to it... my bad...

T.