Water Container For Crazy Dogs

shekhina

We have big water bowl problems with our young Rottweiler. He tips everything up, digs around in them, has very loud arguments with them and throws them around the yard. Coming into summer I'm getting worried we wont be able to find something suitable to make sure he has enough water unless it's bolted to the concrete :eek:

Does anyone have any tried and true bowls/containers/whatever! that he just wont be able to tip over and empty. Playing in water is fun and all, but we wont be home 24/7 during summer and I want to know he's safe!

An old friend of mine took the top off a heavy birdbath and filled that for her Rotti, I think it was glazed on the inside so easy to clean.

That might be an idea. Although we'd probably come home to him trying to sleep in it.

Horse trough?

Just having a look through some now... can't do any kind of plastic, instantly destroyed. Can't have it too big either because young kids in the backyard... can drown in less of course, but just less safe the bigger it is.

Horse trough?

Just having a look through some now... can't do any kind of plastic, instantly destroyed. Can't have it too big either because young kids in the backyard... can drown in less of course, but just less safe the bigger it is.

It's all good - just think...He'll settle down in 4 or 5 years time :rofl:

My father made concrete water dishes for our dogs, using two containers as moulds - a large container as the outer mould, and a smaller container as the mould for the inside of the dish. The best I saw had the outer surface sloping in, with the thickness of the concrete at the base being about three inches, and at the top being about an inch. This version lasted for decades. A little extra lime in the concrete helps to water-proof it, but it would be adviseable to "age" the concrete before use, by filling it with water and letting it sit for a while, then repeating until the pH is neutral.

Edited by DogsAndTheMob

What about something like this galvanised horse feeder, which you can attach to a fence or wall? Might be better in a heavy plastic, you can buy those as well.

I have basically found that securing water dishes in place by chaining them to a fence discourages most dish tossers. Or if you are handy you could build a wall bracket.

I have several large ice buckets chained to pen fences, those that are not enamelled inside have a slightly smaller plastic bucket inside them.

I've a couple of ponies that are water babies and wreck most standard (heavy duty) stock waterers. Met their match with an old (really really old) cement/concrete laundry tub. Keeps water cool, contained etc. Dogs drink from it also.

Yes this. The old double sided concrete laundry troughs are ace for heavy duty water babies. The kennel I worked at years ago had more than a dozen Newfoundlands to cater to. Everyone had a double concrete trough of their own and they'd sit in one side(in the water) while drinking and paddling in the other side. Sometimes they'd just straddle with their front in one side and their butt in the other side. They worked so well for these large strong water oriented dogs!

If you don't care about aesthetics, you can probably make the equivalent of a concrete sink by making up a bag or two of concrete and forming it around a plastic bowl or dish pan . . .or even a 4 L milk jug. Dig a hole in wet sand to form the outside. Nearly fill it with wet concrete. Push your mold down in the middle to yield something weighing 20 or more kg with walls a couple inches thick . . .you will probably need to dig as well as push. A trowel helps for this. Flat bottom is highly desirable, so you might want to make a wood or plywood form instead of sand. You can buy stuff to paint on to make concrete release from boards...or just line with plastic sheeting. You might want to put plastic sheeting around the thing you use to form the interior mold as well.

If you don't care about aesthetics, you can probably make the equivalent of a concrete sink by making up a bag or two of concrete and forming it around a plastic bowl or dish pan . . .or even a 4 L milk jug. Dig a hole in wet sand to form the outside. Nearly fill it with wet concrete. Push your mold down in the middle to yield something weighing 20 or more kg with walls a couple inches thick . . .you will probably need to dig as well as push. A trowel helps for this. Flat bottom is highly desirable, so you might want to make a wood or plywood form instead of sand. You can buy stuff to paint on to make concrete release from boards...or just line with plastic sheeting. You might want to put plastic sheeting around the thing you use to form the interior mold as well.

The Newfoundland kennel I worked at also had their own version of this idea! They had a square wooden mold fill it a bit with wet cement mix then shove a cheap plastic bucket into it and fill around to top up if necessary. Wait until dry and take the plastic bucket out. You now have a block of concrete with a bucket shaped hole in it. They uses metal buckets in them. They would put them next to a fence and attach the bucket handle to the fence with a metal hook. So they couldn't tip it or pull the bucket out..

Thanks for all the suggestions, looks like a concrete something is the way to go :)

Hi Shekhina

Here's one on ebay that might suit? :)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AVF-903-Ceramic-Feed-Water-Bowl-24cm-Dog-Cat-Reptile-Bird-Pet-Animal-Blue-Heavy-/190966586082?hash=item2c767edae2:g:Pp8AAOxyyjpRuwY0

Or these?

http://www.petshopdirect.com.au/shop/category/concrete-dog-bowls

Edited by staffy13