Bowed Pasterns - Adult Dog

Alyosha

I'm after any advice or experience in dealing with bowed pasterns/front legs in adult dogs.

Subject is a 4 year old rescue/rehome Borzoi. Has come from a background of little to no exercise and unusual ideas on diet, plus is overweight - so I don't really doubt that those factors are major contributors/ causes.

Despite the cause, I am now after ways to improve them. He is not really sound/comfortable on them, and until his vet appointment next week I'm wondering if anyone has experience with strapping or supporting these sort of legs? I would strap/support any weakness in a horse's legs as they have to weight bear. But other dog people are saying don't strap these legs?

He has some compulsive behaviours too, mostly foot licking/chewing so I'm not 100% sure I can even keep strapping on - although I haven't seen him foot chewing since he came home so maybe....

Pics attached (please excuse milk crate in the way - it's to try and block a puppy's favourite digging spot!)

post-26096-0-88890200-1477629549_thumb.jpg

post-26096-0-84794900-1477629560_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't be strapping them - horse musculature is very different to dog. I would be concentrating on good diet plus walking him on gravelled surfaces, which does aid foot placement and can correct bowed pasterns in puppies.

Sometimes a powdered Vitamin C supplement plus correct exercise will assist pups with weak pasterns, but assuming that his pasterns developed like this in puppyhood I'm not really sure if they can be corrected this late in his life. frown.gif

I would be interested in following this case and would appreciate it very much if you kept us updated.

Edited by RuralPug

Will do. We'll keep these pics as day two of his foster care, and see how he progresses!

He has some weight to lose and exercise will no doubt help. And yes I think he has been on slick surfaces. I just hate seeing him either in pain or discomfort. But don't want to give painkillers so he feels better and does too much.

I too worry that it might not reverse given his age. Fingers all crossed! He's missed out on enough fun and running - hopefully he can get some joy in his life!

I think you need to work out what is going on- is it a boney alignment issue or is it damage to the ligaments on the carpus. The treatments are different.

If it is ligaments I will often try some level of immobilisation to give the ligaments time to scar. Then do rehab to build the muscles back up to support the carpus. Note that return to function takes 2-3 times the length that the immobilisation has occurred. But in some cases it is a necessary evil.

If the ligaments are solid and it is a boney problem then I do LOTS of strengthening rehab. Considering the breed I might be tempted to do some very light support during high intensity exercise purely to protect the ligaments, but have no support at other times because we want the muscles to be providing active support.

There are then the very rare and occasional dog that is so unstable that surgical stabilisation is necessary.

If he is significantly painful then strapping may be ok for very temporary make the dog comfortable treatment until a full assessment can be done but unless it is unstable it is unlikely to assist. You can also use cool packs to reduce conduction of pain signals up to the brain and reduce pain perception.

Edited by Jumabaar

• 8 months later...

Presumably by this time the Borzoi has been adopted into a new home. :)

I am just curious whether there was any luck reversing those bowed pasterns or minimising them?

I haven't noticed @Alyosha posting in DOL since this thread does anyone still contact her outside of this forum who might be able to get the info??