Vote To Amend The Bill

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm staggered that this is not more of a hot topic here.

Maybe because there isn't anything to debate? Everyone realises it is just dumb. There is a lot of activity on my FB page.

Maybe it is just dumb but so are the politicians voting on it so sitting back doing nothing is only going to see this bill introduced. Then who is dumb?

Maybe because there isn't anything to debate? Everyone realises it is just dumb. There is a lot of activity on my FB page.

I think people view it as so flawed that it couldn't possibly pass. But they have the numbers in the Lower House and could get them in the Upper House.

People need to realise that it's only the phoning and emailing to MPs by regular members that has stopped this so far.

I cant believe this has even been written and is enough of a bill to be passed!

honestly the government amazes me.

but also know a few people who support it wholeheartedly because they think it will stop puppy farmers.

Obviously they dont care about any other breeder either.

Its not just the bill its the general attitude even to a point where it is stated in hansard that breeders should not have the same human rights as everyone else in the community.

Have a good look at this and how they justify how anyone owning a fertile dog or three fertile cats should not be included under the charter for human rights!

My link

Edited by Steve

Maybe it is just dumb but so are the politicians voting on it so sitting back doing nothing is only going to see this bill introduced. Then who is dumb?

I don't think people are sitting back, I was simply giving an explanation of why it isn't a mega hot topic on here. Which is what you asked. Although there have been at least 3 threads on it. No one is arguing for it and therefore the thread isn't 'hot'.

Agreed jules. I've posted about it on fb, emailed friends and family the link TSD put up, signed it myself and emailed my local member about it.

Just because people aren't on here congratulating themselves for what they have tried to do it doesn't mean they don't care, are sitting back and spectating. If we are all in heated agreement the threads fizzle out somewhat but that doesn't mean people don't care.

Wait what? How does not feeding offal work?!?

That would mean HUMANS can't eat offal...?? Because how can they sell it for humans but not for pets? Pets need it in any raw diet and it is incorporated into any dry kibble/tin food too....

how are they supposed to regulate that? Just completely discourage raw feeding?

I just got a phone call from my local member - not his secretary just him. He thanked me for my detailed email and mentioned that he was already very concerned with the current legislation draft that the Vic government has proposed. He said that liberals are talking to stakeholder groups already and are gathering information about exactly how far reaching the current draft is and how to amend it/re write it/examine it so that it actually hits the intended targets.

They are listening. He knew the information already and was across it.

Email the liberals guys - they're the ones with the ability to stop this getting through the Legislative Council and my local member seemed to actually care.

I just got a phone call from my local member - not his secretary just him. He thanked me for my detailed email and mentioned that he was already very concerned with the current legislation draft that the Vic government has proposed. He said that liberals are talking to stakeholder groups already and are gathering information about exactly how far reaching the current draft is and how to amend it/re write it/examine it so that it actually hits the intended targets.

They are listening. He knew the information already and was across it.

Email the liberals guys - they're the ones with the ability to stop this getting through the Legislative Council and my local member seemed to actually care.

Absolutely. Well done!

I believe its not a hot topic because people see the word "puppy farms" going & support it.

Very few joe public understand its more than just that & that pet owners should consider themselves are target .

We all agree changes should be made in areas but this is so arse about without any thought .

Lets face it the vets have one of the highest suicide rates as a profession.

One can only imagine the mental health status of such people if they are forced to put down healthy much loved pets .

This also affects owners who may be forced to PTS pets .

For your information

A Letter From DOGS Victoria President, Mr Wayne Fleming (dated 10/11/2016)

I wanted to take a moment to write to you to provide an update on some of the latest developments on the Domestic Animals Amendment (Puppy Farm and Pet Shops) Bill 2016.

DOGS Victoria have been in several high level negotiations, the latest of those meetings on 8th November 2016, where DOGS Victoria were verbally advised by the Minister’s office that the Government was considering a number of changes to the Bill in response to concerns raised by DOGS Victoria and other stakeholders.

DOGS Victoria representatives were informed that instead of DABs, the changes would see all breeders be required to obtain a breeding permit, which will be made available through the local Councils. DOGS Victoria was informed that the Planning Minister would be consulted with a view to putting out Planning Guidelines that would "encourage" councils to grant “Recreational Breeder Permits” to people that had existing rights, i.e. people that had already been breeding without incident in any particular property. However, how ‘existing use’ will be defined, and what will happen to new breeders, is not clear.

Leaving aside the fact that the guidelines for Councils on how to administer the breeding permits are not written as yet, and will be linked to a central database, which has not yet been designed, our information is that breeders with permits will need to adhere to the Code that applies to DABs (or similar), noting this is being reviewed by the Department, albeit without stakeholder consultation and as such we are not aware of what it will contain.

As the permit framework will still be issued and managed by Councils, our concerns regarding transparency, consistency and equity in the approach taken by Councils in granting and management of the breeding permits remain.

While we have been told there are plans for the Code to be revised there is no information as yet on what the changes may be. Importantly, nothing has yet been tabled and, in terms of the parliamentary process, the current Bill is unchanged.

We will update DOGS Victoria members as soon as we are made aware of any developments, but both the current Bill and the proposed changes are addressed in DOGS Victoria’s submission to the Parliamentary Review of the Bill scheduled for 15 November 2016.

I want to extend my personal thanks to each and every DOGS Victoria member who has been active in raising awareness of this Bill. This show of public strength continues to put pressure on the government, and DOGS Victoria will continue to negotiate for a framework that will safeguard the future of pedigree dogs.

With regards,

Wayne Fleming

They just want to change the name of the DAB to a permit administerd by the local councils. The MAV (representing all 79 councils) spoke at the hearing and said it was pretty much unworkable, they weren't consulted and the whole bill should be scrapped and they need to start again. With proper consultation, The only thing that has got us this far is the incredible response from Dogs Vic members and other concerned individuals - signing the petition, sharing on social media, writing to and meeting with MPs, calling local councils and educating the general public. So keep it up everyone..

The government could have saved themselves a lot of trouble if they had consulted with ALL the key stakeholders. I have had two legal opinions that this is some of the most poorly written legislation they have ever seen. Doesn't mean it won't get passed though.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Done.

While I'm not a breeder or in Victoria thanks to TSD, RP et al I now understand much better the stupidity of this bill and the template for other states that it provides. First rule of policy or legislation drafting - beware of the unintended consequences and who gets caught up but shouldn't - whoever drafted this bill is a rank amateur.

They just want to change the name of the DAB to a permit administerd by the local councils. The MAV (representing all 79 councils) spoke at the hearing and said it was pretty much unworkable, they weren't consulted and the whole bill should be scrapped and they need to start again. With proper consultation, The only thing that has got us this far is the incredible response from Dogs Vic members and other concerned individuals - signing the petition, sharing on social media, writing to and meeting with MPs, calling local councils and educating the general public. So keep it up everyone..

The government could have saved themselves a lot of trouble if they had consulted with ALL the key stakeholders. I have had two legal opinions that this is some of the most poorly written legislation they have ever seen. Doesn't mean it won't get passed though.

SnapTSD.

Couldn't agree more.