Dog Harnesses - Best For Jogging?

Guest crazydoglady99

Guest crazydoglady99

I decided to go with the ruffwear front harness. I figured I can always buy different ones if I'm not happy with them.

We'll see how they go when they arrive!!

On a side note - we've been changing direction & practising recall when he pulls. It's going well. He spends probably 80% of the walk either trotting beside me getting treats, or walking towards the end of the leash not pulling. It's the other 20% that he pulls hard. He's definitely improving, so we'll keep at it :)

Thanks everyone for the input :) :) ????????

Edited by crazydoglady99

Guest crazydoglady99

Oh really?

It's for both Ella & Buddy. I have always jogged with Ella - not as yet with Buddy, but I wanted to a) lessen his pulling, and b) not put any pressure on their necks while jogging.

Well see how they go :)

Guest crazydoglady99

So our Ruffwear harnesses arrived last week. They are excellent! I'm really happy with the fit and the softness of them.

With Ella I use the back clip - no worries with pulling.

With Buddy I tried the back clip - OMG, he pretty much just dragged me! But on the front clip - I can hold the lead with 1 finger! Amazing difference!! I'm hoping over time, with practise, we can use the back clip. For now - front clip is great!

Now I just have to find some motivation to jog!!!

Have you run with your dog yet? You may find, as I did, that pulling stops being an issue.

In any case, the following harnesses may be suitable if you're looking for a front attachment point:

Ruffwear Front Range

Perfect Fit Harness

Alpine Outfitters Urban Trail Harness

Lori Stevens Balance Harness (not the Black Dog one)

I'm pretty sure that the Sensible Harness restricts proper movement.

I would go canicross gear - a waist belt and a bungee line - rather than a front attach harness, and just embrace the pulling for now. Weird gaits are how runners get injured. I would assume the same for dogs, so if the equipment changes the way the dog would normally move, then I'd be worried they are heading for injury.

Excellent point. :)

This reminds me animallover, that you may find that your boy pulls less in a harness than he does in a collar, even without it being a 'no pull' one. It goes completely against what everyone says about harnesses but it works that way with my anxious dog. He is a strange little creature though so your mileage may vary.

HI AL

Not sure if you have purchased your harnesses yet or not, but a front attached harness is definitely not designed for jogging and will adjust their natural gait and may cause injuries down the track.

I agree with these recommended here although I'm also quite interested in the Hurtta Y harness (version 2, I didn't like V 1 at all). I like where this sits to allow full range of motion and V2 seems to not be so high up on the shoulder blades.

I use the original fleece lined harness and this seems to work really well for my dogs, but unless you can try one, I find their sizing can be a little 'off'. My girls measured a 5 (Aussie Shepherds), but in reality they were a size 4. I wish I could adjust the front section, which you can with the 'perfect' fit.

The one that wins out for me for jogging with my dog is the ruff wear front range. So cosy for the dogs and I really love the fit of them :)

Guest crazydoglady99

Hi Leo, thanks for the info.

You might have missed my update.. I did buy the ruffwear front range harnesses, and so far we love them!

My girl's new running harness from Indidog. I wasn't sure how the second strap would work out. I was a little worried it would affect her collecting, but decided to risk it because she's such a slippery thing and tends to twist and jam on the brakes sometimes. I think in the end the extra strap isn't necessary, but it does help her balance better if there's pressure on the leash. It is loose enough that it doesn't seem to affect her flexion and she'll curl into a tight little ball with it on no worries. I'm very happy with the harness. It is well made, fits her great, and the padding is minimal. Nothing to rub anywhere. It was pretty cheap, too!

post-23839-0-33234000-1479160469_thumb.jpg