Bosley - My Beloved Idiot Dog

Maddy

Maddy I'm so sorry. crying.gif We've just lost one of our westies from our westie and rescue group to this insidious disease - she lasted 10 months but believe me while she was well managed it was no real life. RIP beautiful man,crainbowbridge.gif say hi to Mac, he'll show you the ropes.hug.gif

From what I've read, that sounds about right :( More of a prolonging time until death, than really giving them more life. In some ways, I'm sort of glad we didn't have to make that call because, to be honest, I don't think I could have done the right thing by him. It would have been too tempting to leave it "just a bit longer" because a little bit more time would never have been enough.

On a slightly different subject, the entire thing has made me wonder how many dogs are being misdiagnosed as just pancreatitis or side effects of medications. Bosley's xrays came back perfectly normal, the ultrasound showed just a slight kink at the start of his small intestine (from where cancer had spread to them) and all blood results pointed to pancreatitis. One of the younger vets at our regular clinic picked up an abnormal BGL/insulin ratio on one of the days but all subsequent BGL/insulin ratios after that were normal- apparently it waxes and wanes, so dogs tested during a wane in insulin levels will have normal BGL and it's just luck to pick up a spike. That, and the symptoms themselves are a bit vague, especially for dogs on certain medications.

Up until five days before his death, Bosley was still gobbling down food with much enthusiasm and looking to be in good (if slightly overindulged) health. I suppose that was part of the shock of it, that one day he was galloping around like an idiot, full of energy and life, and then a few days later, virtually at death's door. I asked the vet about why he deteriorated so quickly and got a bit of a vague answer about Bosley being in good condition. I know that dogs can be good at hiding pain but I guess I'd never realised to what incredible extent they can do it. The cancer had been there for many months (his first "pancreatitis" event was actually last year) but never any hint from him :( (the same dog who would get growly and upset if you wiped his feet with a damp facewasher, of course)