Warning - Aussie Dogfood Company

Dave-o

Just a word of warning about "Aussie Dogfood" you can buy online...

I really think it's a scam, in fact I'm pretty sure of it. I have reason to believe the same people were behind Yoghurt Plus dog food which used to be available, but this is inconclusive.

I had a lot of people ask me to review the food, and I think they have a strong Facebook presence. They also have a very professional looking website, which is actually much better than most legit pet food websites. That's not hard in this day and age though. They sell 20kg bags, and also have membership schemes.

I reviewed the food which looked awful considering they were selling it for a very premium price.

Last week I had an email from a person who allegedly worked for the company who said I had the ingredients wrong. I checked the new ingredients on their website which were very bizarre, as it was a formula which couldn't be processed into a kibble. It didn't add up, it was made up.

Then I searched for information on the person who emailed me. They didn't show up in Google, which is odd. I found two Facebook accounts using the name, both were fake.

I believe you can buy the food and they'll send it to you, but you won't be getting what you pay for. I imagine it's kibble they've had cheaply manufactured, or it may even be another manufacturer's kibble re-branded. In any case they're not adhering to legal standards.

If you have any info let me know.

Their Facebook page is - https://www.facebook.com/Aussiedogfood/?fref=ts

This was my review - http://www.petfoodreviews.com.au/dry-dog-food/australian-dog-food-company/

Not sure what you are talking about. These are the ingredients on the website:

Meat and meat by products (derived from beef), fats and oils (derived from beef), pre and probiotic formulation, salt, vitamins and minerals, preservatives and antioxidants, wholegrain cereals and cereal by-products.

The inventor has done a load of research it seems - http://www.standard.net.au/story/740028/more-to-dog-food-than-cans/

He even applied for patents.

But if salt content is only 1%, and grains are listed after salt, that means they're saying that the product contains less than 1% grains. Which sounds like all sorts of bullshit when there are no other filler ingredients at all.

Also, if you take a look at the nutritional composition, it doesn't match the ingredient list at all. If your product was almost entirely meat, it'd be more than 23% protein. In fact, 23% sounds pretty unimpressive. As an example, ToTW is 32% protein and contains plenty of fillers.

The inventor has done a load of research it seems - http://www.standard.net.au/story/740028/more-to-dog-food-than-cans/

He even applied for patents.

But if salt content is only 1%, and grains are listed after salt, that means they're saying that the product contains less than 1% grains. Which sounds like all sorts of bullshit when there are no other filler ingredients at all.

Also, if you take a look at the nutritional composition, it doesn't match the ingredient list at all. If your product was almost entirely meat, it'd be more than 23% protein. In fact, 23% sounds pretty unimpressive. As an example, ToTW is 32% protein and contains plenty of fillers.

That is a list form their website not from a bag. I have no idea what the law is with listing ingredients on a website.

Meat and meat by products (derived from beef), fats and oils (derived from beef), pre and probiotic formulation, salt, vitamins and minerals, preservatives and antioxidants, wholegrain cereals and cereal by-products.

I'd love to know how they cook meats, fats, and oils into a solid kibble. It's just not possible :laugh:

They originally had the cereals first, then emailed me to tell me my review was incorrect and the cereals were now last. They know they're falsely advertising it.

I suppose what they write on their website isn't governed by pet food labeling standards, but it's still false advertising and fraud.

Thanks Dave-o, good to see you around again.

Thanks Taliecat! I've had a manic few months so haven't been on the internet much!

I'd love to know how they cook meats, fats, and oils into a solid kibble. It's just not possible :laugh:

:confused:

From what I can see of the listed ingredients, there's not much there to keep the mixture together as it goes through the extruder to form the kibble.

I'm pretty sure it would just crumble into dust with the ratios given..

Doesn't Australia follow the convention of listing ingredients in the order of quantity? I don't see how you could formulate (or feed) a kibble that had more salt than wholegrain cereals and cereal by-products.

:confused:

From what I can see of the listed ingredients, there's not much there to keep the mixture together as it goes through the extruder to form the kibble.

I'm pretty sure it would just crumble into dust with the ratios given..

Doesn't Australia follow the convention of listing ingredients in the order of quantity? I don't see how you could formulate (or feed) a kibble that had more salt than wholegrain cereals and cereal by-products.

Yes on the bag. This info is all from their website.

The complete ingredients list for anyone interested:

Beef meal, ground wholegrain wheat, natural yoghurt, fats and oils (derived from beef), salt, vitamins and minerals (including vitamins A, B1, B2, B3 B5, B6, B9, B12, D3, E, H, K3), natural preservatives (including citric acid, buffered white distilled vinegar, white distilled vinegar) and herbal antioxidants (including amorphous silicon dioxide, tetrasodium pyrophosphate, vegetable oil, natural mixed tocopherols, rosemary extract, green tea extract and spearmint extract).