Large Doggy Doors

MadWoofter

George has never been an inside dog, and so he is not real great with 'hanging on' to toilet overnight (or while I'm out). He's great when I'm home and goes out but if the back door is shut... well.....

Apart from trying to train an adult dog, I think a doggy door would be a great solution. I've sent out for some quotes for supply & installation, but thought I'd ask here if there is anyone that DOLers recommend. I'm in the Sydney metro area.

Alternatively, how difficult would it be to install one (in a timber door) myself? I'm fairly handy and probably have all the tools I'd need.

It kind of depends on the door whether installation will be easy. Hollow core doors are quite messy - leave it to the experts! If you have a solid wooden door though, it should be fairly straightforward, most commercial doors usually come with installation instructions. If you have sliding glass doors to the back yard, then those Pig In Mud type dog doors are excellent.

What I used for my darling Mastiff girl, was one of those old fashioned half wooden, half-fly screen doors in the laundry. I simply removed the bottom panel and added heavy plastic strips to deter insects. When I want the dogs kept out of the laundry, I simply close the solid door, which normally stands open and they enter and exit through the screen door. I do have to replace the fly strips occasionally when I am fostering a particularly naughty pup!laugh.gif

Oh - I think we had this conversation a while ago for Thistle & Westie Mum gave some good advice in that thread too about buying a cheap solid door & having it installed so as not to damaage the existing door.

I'll see if I can find the thread - it was a good one from memory.

Edit: here it is :) http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/265762-dog-door-types-discussion/page__p__6785786__hl__%2Bthistle+%2Bdoor__fromsearch__1#entry6785786

I only mention it as Thistle is a big girl - as for how easy are they to install - I have no idea but think a lot depends on the kind you install and where. As for teaching him - I'm sure he'll clue in - Scottie picked up using a doggy door within hours when we stayed at a friends place who had one :)

Edited by Scottsmum

I put in one from bunnings myself and had one installed again recently. Very easy if you have a hole drill piece and jigsaw.

I brought the nicer aluminium one from bunnings again as the heavy duty soft flap withstands the Kelpie flying thru. The plastic flap hardens and cracks eventually thou you can get replacements.

Had to put a hole in my security screen with no door in place as WL but works OK as just the screen shut or both.

I managed with a med for a Kelpie thou.

• 2 weeks later...

We've just gone though this and we ended up getting one from Pet Doors Australia. Our door was glass though so we had limited options on what would work in the size we wanted.

http://www.petdoorsaust.com.au/Products/For-Dogs/For-Glass-Doors/

At our old house we had a timer door and had one of the extra large Staywell doors. It worked well enough and my Dad installed it (so it can be a DIY job).