Dog Whining After Move

Hey all,

Long story short, i moved from my parents place about 2 years ago and left our GSD behind.

We just brought her to Canberra over the weekend, so she is no longer living with my parents. Now when left alone for any short amount of time (a shower), she whines when in her run.

This is very unlike her, when inside she sleeps in her crate and no other issues. My wife and i are both going back to work tomorrow, and this behavior has got me worried.

She never used to do this at my parents place, i was the one who trained her as well, she was also in a run in Sydney.

We walk her, train her, and are teaching her the new house rules. She is responding really well to all of that, but seems she has developed separation anxiety.

Any tips or recommendations?

Cheers

Guest crazydoglady99

Great Dane Rescue have some good (free) info sheets on Separation Anxiety (amongst other things).

Have you heard of adaptil collars/spray/diffusers? A collar might be really helpful for her, you can get them from petbarn and some vet's.

Good luck!!

Adaptil collars contain a pheromone which we can't smell, but which calms dogs when activated by their body heat.

Adaptil collars are the complete opposite of the shock or citronella collars that you are thinking of. Those types of collars increase anxiety levels and/or cause depression in dogs, even if they suppress problem barking. Kind of like being terrified but having your mouth taped up so you can't scream.

My advice would be to try an Adaptil collar and/or plug-in and to speak to your vet. If you haven't yet chosen a vet, perhaps see one who has an interest in behaviour. The vet may recommend behaviour medicine and/or that you see a veterinary behaviourist.

Here's a handout from the Australian Veterinary Association that you may like to read:

http://www.ava.com.au/sites/default/files/AVA_website/Separation%20anxiety%20in%20dogs.pdf :)

ETA: here's the Adaptil website for further info: http://www.adaptil.com/au/

Edited by Papillon Kisses

Guest crazydoglady99

Sorry my post was probably a little too vague. I'm a huge fan of adaptil, I've seen some great results.

Hope you figure something out to settle your girl.

She is doing awesome!

Thanks for following up :)

We are just working on getting her used to the new house rules, with lots of praise, rewards and drive training, also with the occasional NO! :p

Really keen to get her out there and used to other dogs, as she has never been great with them, but slowly getting there. She can be peaceful around dogs now, i wish i new more people in ACT!

There are some good fenced dog parks in Canberra, to start with I would work outside the fence with your girl and do distance work initial with rewarding her for keeping focus on you instead of the other dogs, then gradually work up to greeting dogs through the fence.

Do lots of observing of the other dogs and owners as well so you learn who behaves appropriately and who would be a good match for your girl to interact with inside the park eventually.

My rules for dog parks are: keep walking around with your dog/s, don't just let them wander, keep up lots of recalls and rewards so your dog is always paying attention to you, if you're unsure at all about a situation call your dog away asap - better safe than sorry, don't let your dog get in the middle of groups of dogs, even if they're playing it can turn ugly fast, and don't let your dog be a pain to others.

A lot of people don't like dog parks at all, which is totally understandable, things can definitely go wrong but Canberra is a tough place to meet people but I always found a good regular community would build up at the dog park :)