Preparing For Puppy With Young Child In The House Tips Please

Cavoodled

Hi

I'm welcoming home a cavoodle puppy in a few weeks and getting things in place to make life with a puppy that little bit easier, I'm aware a puppy is a lot of work. I have a two year old child and I'm needing suggestions particularly from those with young children on what to do with puppy during the day, especially while I''m out of the house which isn't all that often. I plan to crate train of a night, but not sure if I should leave the crate in laundry or attach it to a playpen and leave in lounge room or put in laundry of a night and during the day attach to playpen. Also not sure about using puppy pads or fake grass in the play pen during the day or will using either of those be going backwards as far as house training goes. Although I don't see a way around it. I will take puppy outside often, but I'm sure there's times that I'll be "too late". Puppy will need a safe place away from the reach of my two year old during the day when she's not in her crate, I've seen online the lighter looking wire pens that the crate can attach to using clips and others that are similar, but described as heavy duty. Would the lighter pens be ok inside on tiles with a young child? I need to be able to leave puppy in the pen with peace of mind that neither puppy or my daughter will get hurt, as I do things around the house. Links to playpen sand crates would be great, if you've brought yours online. Those of you who work what do you do with puppy while you're not home? We have a huge backyard and a doggy door isn't an option at the moment.

Edited by Cavoodled

And for when you ARE at home...baby gates are truly your friend, sometimes you will want toddler and puppy on opposite sides of a gate. Get two or three.

If you have an open plan house ,just buy a couple of extra panels (really not expensive) when you buy your vebo pen and it can double as a indoor fence, keeping toddlers and puppies away from fireplaces, audio visual equipment etc.etc.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I still train puppies that if they must go indoors, to use newspaper. I have for small puppies, a puppy pad holder that I line thickly with newspaper. For bigger puppies, an underbed storage plastic tub, which L line with a couple of large puppy pads (the cheap ones from Spoils) and then cover those thickly with newspaper. The one time I tried puppy pads in the puppy pad holder they were ripped to shreds... newspaper is much less attractive to play with!

To give puppy the idea, you wipe a tissue over where they have just weed, and place the tissue under the newspaper. It is best to wipe over any accidents that are in the wrong spot with vinegar and water and then spray with an enzyme cleaner such as Urine Off or similar.

The light puppy pen will suit your puppy when a baby and would be fine on tiles, or even on carpet with a large bit of floor vinyl offcut underneath.

While your puppy is very small, in the pen indoors when you are out. By the time puppy is a few months older, you might have wired off a sections of the huge yard to be his/hers alone, complete with a shelter of some sort and a plastic clamshell sandpit....laugh.gif

Of course, we are all hanging out for pictures of puppy once arrived!!!

If your plan is to have your dog toilet outside as an adult then set it up for success now ,you will have to dedicate a lot of time to the pup at this crucial age so you need to p,an for that.

I would not over use the crate ,it's not what there designed for.

A puppy pen will be more use but again not for over use

You need to set your puppies routine now for success,Cavoodles can be very needy so teaching it independence is very important.

If you over use the pen your teaching your puppy to be very human reliant and needy,you say the doggy door isn't an option so you will need to train your pup to a method that you want now for the long term,if outside then pup needs to learn to head to the door to be let out,if you want it to use an indoor loo then start early BUT it's far easier to train your puppy to the future than always be retraining especially as your toddler will become more demanding and the pup as well .

The right balance for your pup is very important for it to enjoy your toddler,hopefully the person your getting it from will carefully select the right pup for you or ideally get to meet the pup before it comes home to see how it mixes with your youngster

We got a puppy pen and fake grass and put that in the laundry when we were not home (OK two lots of fake grass so could be changed over and cleaned as needed). We also put puppy training pads in there too which she sometimes used (and later just chewed up). And as soon as someone was home puppy went straight outside.

But start as you plan to continue - ours was in her crate on the first night - with puppy pad which she used then had a meltdown but didnt take long to get through the night (though seems a thing now to wake up through the night)