Fungal Infection

Gretel

OH has had some odd skin problems for many years but is getting more lesions than he's ever had. He saw the doctor today who asked if he had a dog. Doctor reckons it's a fungal problem he's caught from the dogs. I only know of ringworm and it's nothing like ringworm to look at. Doctor didn't take a scraping or anything though he's sending him for blood tests. He's put him on anti fungal meds for three months. None of the dogs have any skin disease. Anyone have any experience or ideas?

It COULD be possible ..although in my many years working closely with dogs, I never contracted anything . it's strange there was no skin scraping done .How did GP work out that it's fungal then? Hopefully the blood tests will show you in which direction to go . Skin symptoms can be frustrating :(

It COULD be possible ..although in my many years working closely with dogs, I never contracted anything . it's strange there was no skin scraping done .How did GP work out that it's fungal then? Hopefully the blood tests will show you in which direction to go . Skin symptoms can be frustrating :(

Apparently he just looked and said fungal.

Can only talk on experience here - but Sarah (15 year old westie) was finally, properly diagnosed with malassezia some months ago. I've also had bad itchies for a long time.

Then in DOL discussion Gruf suggested Selsum Blue Shampoo. So I bought some, threw Sarah under the shower with me each morning for a week (much her to disgust! What a morning circus!), bathed her with the Selsun, washed my hair and used it as a body wash for me and I think its helped get us both under control.

So while I have no truth the her fungal disease and my itchies were connected, I suspect its possible and might have been.

Can only talk on experience here - but Sarah (15 year old westie) was finally, properly diagnosed with malassezia some months ago. I've also had bad itchies for a long time.

Then in DOL discussion Gruf suggested Selsum Blue Shampoo. So I bought some, threw Sarah under the shower with me each morning for a week (much her to disgust! What a morning circus!), bathed her with the Selsun, washed my hair and used it as a body wash for me and I think its helped get us both under control.

So while I have no truth the her fungal disease and my itchies were connected, I suspect its possible and might have been.

Well that's interesting. Thanks. None of ours have any skin issues though. Off to google malassezia!

Yes just looked at some sites and this may be it. Kind of freaked me out when he came home and told me and he's also being tested for allergy to dogs. Though mostly this seems to be on trunk and head. OH it's legs and just started on arms.

Edited by Gretel

Well that's interesting. Thanks. None of ours have any skin issues though. Off to google malassezia!

Yes just looked at some sites and this may be it. Kind of freaked me out when he came home and told me and he's also being tested for allergy to dogs. Though mostly this seems to be on trunk and head. OH it's legs and just started on arms.

Gretel google Malassezia images and info - strange name but is a human fungal disease I had as a teenager - mine was a 'butterfly rash' on my back from memory. It has the same name as the dog one - and I think there are different types - and yes you can get it on your arms and legs. Best to get your OH's GP to take it seriously and do some swabs and diagnose properly - sooner rather than later - and go from there.

ETA - I forgot to mention that your OH's rashes (Malassezia?) may have nothing to do with the dogs - we didn't have dogs when I had my butterfly rash as a teenager - but we did live in Darwin and humidity can be a pre-disposing factor.

Edited by westiemum

Gretel google Malassezia images and info - strange name but is a human fungal disease I had as a teenager - mine was a 'butterfly rash' on my back from memory. It has the same name as the dog one - and I think there are different types - and yes you can get it on your arms and legs. Best to get your OH's GP to take it seriously and do some swabs and diagnose properly - sooner rather than later - and go from there.

ETA - I forgot to mention that your OH's rashes (Malassezia?) may have nothing to do with the dogs - we didn't have dogs when I had my butterfly rash as a teenager - but we did live in Darwin and humidity can be a pre-disposing factor.

Hi! It sounds like Malassezia, the best thing for your OH is to go see a nutrionalist, he most likely has a weakened immune system that's why he has skin issues. You'll find that the skin issues will subside when he changes what he puts in his mouth????