New Puppy When Adults Are Working?

Lillynix

Hey everyone, just a question!

We are thinking about introducing a new (whippet) puppy to our family, we also have a roughly 8yo grey x whippet (pound puppy), she adores other dogs and is still playful and full of energy, so she's not an issue. However, my question is, I'm just about to transition into (part-time) work after being at home raising our human children, is it irresponsible to introduce a new puppy when there isn't always going to be someone home during the day? Naturally we'd still go for walks like we do with our current dog, and training is a must. But my Husband is unsure about getting a puppy when there will be days where no one is home during working hours.

What is the general consensus on this issue?

Absolutely, showdog, chances are we'd crate train the pup until we felt comfortable letting them roam the house, just like we did our current dog. I was just unsure how it would all unfold with toilet training really, if we're out all day, but I suppose it all just works out in the end...right? laugh.gif

Are you able to set up an exercise area as opposed to crating for hours? It gives the pup more options to move around, do things and expend the energy a growing pup has.

Not sure of your setup but as an example, I put together a pen with chicken wire, cable ties and star pickets which let pup go down one side of the house then half way under our verandah. I had as much as I could think for a pup to keep busy in there. A large meaty bone regularly (nothing she could chew off), tub of balls which I'd throw treats in,a small cardboard box taped up with treats inside, a tub of damp sand for digging or lying in, a container of dry leaves, a plank on bricks, a container near it she could jump on to and then off again, a kids pool with an inch of water and floating balls, a tug toy tied off the clothes line, a kids tunnel with a tarp across the top, a small kong stuffed with dry food and another frozen with stock, vegies and dry food in it etc.

This meant she was separate from my other dog but had access to sunshine, grass and shelter which I think is important to a young animal. At times she would run completely mental through everything including throwing herself at the side of the tunnel and bouncing off which was hilarious. I increased her time alone from day one but separation anxiety was never an issue because she had so much to do I doubt she realised I was gone!

When I was happy letting both dogs stay together through the day she came and went from the house with our other dog via our sliding door bolted open just wide enough to let them through (lucky we have two small dogs). The older Frenchie has to suck her gut in a little to get through but it doesn't stop her doing it at a run lol . Toilet training was never an issue as she could always access outside and I took her out through the night too.

Anyway, food for though and good luck with your new pup!

Edited by Roova

Don't start me on the Orvis bed's Westiemum!! :laugh:

Mine still look like new!! And as Sarah gets older I bless their waterproof zip off covers over the foam inserts. The only problem is they both prefer the lounger - might have to buy another one eventually... laugh.gifbiggrin.gif

I keep an eye on the site for sales because I'd love to buy another! Even just to look at something different to the current bed which just keeps going and going lol.

(Sorry for going off topic Lillynix).

Agree on setting up somewhere not in a crate for 8 hours during the day.

We started from day one (well close to) set up an area on the laundry inside the puppy play pen (which fills most of laundry) she had toys, water, small food ball blanket and fake grass. Early on the puppy pads but they turned into a chew toy within a few weeks so we didnt even finish one pack and have another unopened! Two piece of fake grass so they can be changed over and washed and laundry can be washed too.

As soon as we are home puppy is out with other dog (not that the other dog would even acknowledge her for a month) and puppy play pen is great while they cant be trusted given greater freedom or if you have to answer the front door etc.

Mind you there was one day where she not only pushed the puppy playpen into the corridor but made a right hand turn and headed off down the corridor a little way. DIdnt even touch or mark the walls (so had to push forward to wal thenpush the other playpen panels to move down the corridor). OLder dog as far as we know ignores her and stays elsewhere in house during the day

• 2 weeks later...

I've used two play pens set up in the family room joined together. It has a donut bed, a crate with door open and bed inside, a really solid water bowl the puppy can't spill easily, and a grass tray with real grass from potty plant.

I also got a NetCam from JB HiFi and I can open an app I. My iPhone and see my puppy any time I want - it's peace of mind that they are safe, sleeping, playing. My puppy was home alone only two half days a week but this set up works well.

I did gave puppy pads in there but they ended up messy and totally shredded.

Proving a goood solid none to chew, or treat toys that take a while to get through are good. Dogs need mental stimulation.

You can also buy automatic feeders that open a section of food at preset times.

Edited by Isabel964