Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SeeEmArgh

New Dog In Newcastle

22 posts in this topic

It has been 9 years since our Bullmastiff passed and we have finally decided to add a new dog to our family. In those 9 years we have moved from Auckland to Melbourne to Sydney and now Newcastle, and are finally settling. The wife works from home as do I for 3 days a week with no more of the interstate travel that I was doing for 2 weeks in a month which prevented us from being able to get a dog earlier. We are very much dog people so it has been very hard over 9 years not having one, but we had managed to supplement our dog loving tendencies through volunteering with the RSPCA and with local council initiatives assisting elderly with walking and caring of their dogs. Over the last 9 years my wife has had to put up with me pointing out every dog we see. She was starting to tire of it. I don't have to do that anymore cause I'll have one of my own.

I have been looking at all of the things I would like to do with this new addition and the first stop will be training. We are located not too far from the Hillsborough Dog Showground in Warners Bay so will be making enquiries there. If any Newcastle people have any tips regarding where to by the right food plus everything else owning a new large breed dog entails please let me know. I totally forgot to say we decided on a Cane Corso.

Thanks.

Edited by SeeEmArgh
Scrappi&Monty likes this

Thank you. Yes very exciting. We don't have pics yet but will put some up as soon as we have him in a couple of weeks.

*Sigh* One more week to go. The slowest three weeks ever.

Edited by SeeEmArgh

Awwwww congratulations!

Thank you. We are very happy to have him.

Another one because why not :D

post-55239-0-60206400-1481179300_thumb.jpg

He's beautiful, what is his name?

Thank you. His name is Prince, but he thinks he's a King.

Zena's mum likes this

Just a small update. It's been four weeks now and he has settled in well. He has had a couple of obedience training sessions with more to come. He has a great nature and loves walking on and off lead. We have been trying to get around to as many of the dog friendly parks and beaches as possible. Here's a shot from Ham's Beach

Edited by SeeEmArgh

Wow he's stunning !

He is a stunning boy. What a pity that his breeders docked his tail. :( Unless it was done before the laws changed? That would be awesome, because in that case he is looking fantastic for his age!

Edited by RuralPug

Wow he's stunning !

He is a beautiful boy. Some times he looks like a pup and is so clumsy, other times like in this pic I think he looks regal.

Edited by SeeEmArgh

He is a stunning boy. What a pity that his breeders docked his tail. :( Unless it was done before the laws changed? That would be awesome, because in that case he is looking fantastic for his age!

I did ask regarding his tail but didn't get an answer. I don't think his previous owners really knew what happened. I have seen pics of others in his litter and they did not have docked tails so I'm not sure why he was different. Maybe something happened to it.

Stunning boy. How old is he?

Thank you. We think so too. He is almost 2 years old. Still very much acts like a puppy except for when he turns on guard dog mode.

I did ask regarding his tail but didn't get an answer. I don't think his previous owners really knew what happened. I have seen pics of others in his litter and they did not have docked tails so I'm not sure why he was different. Maybe something happened to it.

If the others in his litter have full tails, then the breeder did not dock. You are probably correct in that he must have injured his tail at some point so that it needed to be amputated.

He really is a stunner!

Well its been a little over 4 months now and everything has been going well. He has had a month of in home obedience training followed by another month of group obedience training and we'll be attending ongoing group training sessions on the monthly basis to keep getting him around other people and their dogs. He has never shown any major aggression issues towards people or dogs but it can't hurt to get him out there. He does not like motorbikes at all and it has proven hard to try and have him not react so much to them. He can spot one a mile away and gets very aggressive when they are close by. I try to avoid them as much as possible. He had issues with skateboards and bicycles as well but we have been able to manage this and he walks past with out any issues now. He had some food aggression when we first got him this has now completely gone with twice daily feeding. Next step is a behaviourist to see what more we can do to improve his well being. Its been amazing having a dog back in our house after so long and I can't imagine going back to not having one. I'm already working on trying to convince the wife to get another at some point, but that may be further down the line. Here's a pic with his favourite toy.

hARWP4Il.jpg?1

Scrappi&Monty, RuralPug and harley like this

It certainly sounds as you are going full bore to give Prince a wonderful dog's life.  He is looking gorgeous.  

SeeEmArgh likes this

2 hours ago, Dame Danny's Darling said:

It certainly sounds as you are going full bore to give Prince a wonderful dog's life.  He is looking gorgeous.  

We are trying to provide everything he needs. It was a little difficult while he settled in and my wife thought we had made a huge mistake. Managed to convince her that we would be able to provide him the best future possible and that I was committed to making it work. She loves him now but is not comfortable walking him because of his size and his issue with motorbikes. We'll get there.