Ok, Ok, I Know .....but Stranger Things Have Happened .

persephone

CLICK HERE

excerpts :

In the kitchen we hung three half-filled zip lock bags of water, with four pennies in each bag. There. We had our natural fly killer up and were waiting for the flies to land — somewhere but on the dog waiting patiently below the zip lock bag to see what would happen next.

We had tied the closed bags with a twine and hung them (with most of the air removed) in varied corners in the kitchen, porch and outside patio. Within one hour, over 3/4 of the flies were gone. How it happened, we do not know.

and

May 16th, 2009

Regarding the science behind zip log bags of water? My research found that each of the millions of molecules of water presents its own prism effect and given that flies have a lot of eyes, to them it’s like a zillion disco balls reflecting light, colors and movement in a dizzying manner.

• Like 1

CLICK HERE

excerpts :

In the kitchen we hung three half-filled zip lock bags of water, with four pennies in each bag. There. We had our natural fly killer up and were waiting for the flies to land — somewhere but on the dog waiting patiently below the zip lock bag to see what would happen next.

We had tied the closed bags with a twine and hung them (with most of the air removed) in varied corners in the kitchen, porch and outside patio. Within one hour, over 3/4 of the flies were gone. How it happened, we do not know.

and

May 16th, 2009

Regarding the science behind zip log bags of water? My research found that each of the millions of molecules of water presents its own prism effect and given that flies have a lot of eyes, to them it's like a zillion disco balls reflecting light, colors and movement in a dizzying manner.

Guess what I'm going to try tomorrow - Thanks Perse

• 9 months later...
28 minutes ago, JenL said:

Just wondering if anyone has tried this method. Now summer is coming I'm going to give it a try and I will put some cent coins in 

Found this : 

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/zip-lock-water-bags-fly-repellent.shtml

And today , I have started to assemble what's needed to make a few DIY traps .Damn Blowies have come out in FORCE!!

http://www.elitepestcontrol.net.au/tips/diy-fly-trap/

fly-trap-205x300.gif

Edited by persephone

I made those last year, useless, flew in and flew out.  But I see in the small print on Persephone's diagram I should have partly covered the entry to only allow one fly - okay, will try again this year with a tab of duct tape over half the entry point. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PossumCorner said:

I made those last year, useless, flew in and flew out.  But I see in the small print on Persephone's diagram I should have partly covered the entry to only allow one fly - okay, will try again this year with a tab of duct tape over half the entry point. 

oh ! I've never had too many escapees . The best one ever was one of those 10 ltr spring water bottles !! I put in a couple inches of water with bits of putrid meat . left the opening as it was  and caught heaps.
I think the trick is to have the actual circular opening only about  2 .5 cm from the bottom/floor/water  . Flies will instinctively fly UP ..and can't work out how to get back down & thru hole . 
I always use water ...