Simply Grand

How Cautious To Be?

138 posts in this topic

It's good to see she has been removed from adoption and placed on hold. 

33 minutes ago, Powerlegs said:

It's good to see she has been removed from adoption and placed on hold. 

Nope, they've still got her up for adoption. Not that I would let it happen. And fortunately in this instance she doesn't get any enquiry.

If she's the one in Santa gear she is marked as on hold meaning she won't show up in a search ( on PetRescue not sure about anywhere else).  

11 minutes ago, Powerlegs said:

If she's the one in Santa gear she is marked as on hold meaning she won't show up in a search ( on PetRescue not sure about anywhere else).  

Ooohh excellent! I didn't see the on hold, just assumed if the listing was still there she was still available. That is good news.

5 hours ago, tdierikx said:

This is why some call for regulation of the Rescue industry... and quite frankly I'm starting to lean that way myself...

T.

Me too. There really isn't anything anyone can do legally to stop Molly from going wherever they want to put her and they can do it without disclosing her past behaviour if they want. There would only be the possibility of consequences if/when something went horribly wrong AND if the connection was then made that they had been made aware she was dangerous.

On 16/02/2017 at 8:27 AM, Pet Dr said:

This was bound to happen.  It is highly doubtful that a knoweldgeable VB would prescribe this medication in isolation in such a case, not without a strict safety management plan, but rarely wihout counselling the owner about the legal ramifications because medication WILL LIKELY lead to disinhibition.

I just wanted to highlight the above, that you are talking about this specific case.

My dog is on Prozac for GAD and he has not become disinhibited. :)

It's the "in isolation" that's the issue PK, I've been given meds for her without a behaviour mod, dosage or weaning plan or a warning that this could happen and what I should look out for. Thankfully Pet Dr warned me, although I would have been super cautious anyway.

But you're right, she is indeed talking about a case like Molly's where there a pretty clear underlying aggression issues.

Papillon Kisses likes this

I'd be doing what's needed and sending the rescue group the bill... *sigh*

Rescues like this one are why the public become leery of ALL rescues and believe that ALL rescue dogs have issues... grrr!

T.

Unfortunately here in Qld the recent proliferation of rescue groups has not been an entirely good thing.  There is an ‘every dog must be saved’ mentality and countless dogs are ‘rescued’ and placed in foster homes with hardly any temperament information and without any real assessment. 

Off topic here, but the concept of quarantine is regularly blatantly disregarded, even from known high risk (parvo) areas.  Dogs are released from pounds one day, and put on transport the next.  I have been in rescue forums where the issue has been discussed.  Sadly the overwhelming view was that the need to get a dog released from a pound overrides the risk to other dogs by not quarantining. 

That is not to say there are not ethical, responsible rescuers up here.  But there are too many who aren’t. 

I am very sorry SG that you have been put in this situation.  It is wrong, plain and simple. 

Simply Grand and RuralPug like this

This situation has become somewhat more complex now, which I won't go into here. All I can update is that at the moment Molly is still here with me and we all continue to cope.

Everything in this thread, even the vents, have been my first hand experience that can be backed up with written evidence or my personal emotional responses, but i just have to vent about one thing that is hearsay (tho I believe it)...

Allegedly someone involved who presumably has seen the videos I sent through as part of my assessment has said that one of the reasons that Molly should be moved to kennels is that I 'keep her chained to the stove all day'

Now on the occasions when I have brought Saxon into the room with Molly for training and assessment I have leashed Molly to the stove, being a solid object, because there are no other humans here and in order to manage two dogs in a volatile situation I cannot have Molly (30kg vs Saxon's 5kg) loose, the risk is too great. One such assessment of Molly's reaction was in the videos I sent and somehow that apparently translates to I keep her chained to the stove all day.

What a crock.

ETA prior to doing this I worked on teaching Molly to relax when tethered, she learnt to do it by being given food rewards and having me close by at first then gradually spending some (short) time on her own etc etc. This is something I've done with all my dogs because sometimes dogs may need to be tethered and I want them to relax when they are and guess what, all of them, including Molly have learnt to chill out, knowing that I'll come back for them

Edited by Simply Grand

Thanks PK :) Actually in the last couple of days I feel less stressed than I had been, I have had some wonderful advice and support, not least from this thread but also from some other incredibly helpful people, and feel like it is no longer just me and Molly against the world. 

I just don't know what will happen still but I do feel more like I have/am genuinely doing as much as I possibly can for the right thing.

I also want to reiterate that I don't think this is something any foster carer should have to go through. The ONLY reason I am still in this is that this stuff is my passion and hopefully my career for the rest of my life, I have done this kind of stuff full time and professionally for RSPCA and whilst I have my dogs I don't have children or a partner or a full time job limiting  my time to factor in. I would NEVER ask, expect or let someone in a different situation go though this

Edited by Simply Grand
Papillon Kisses and RuralPug like this

Oh man, I feel like the rescue have really let you both down here!  :mad.  No one should have to go through this no matter how experienced they are!

Surely the rescue should have a plan for training and rehab of their dogs including regular progress assessments/reports, behavioural training outlines and discussions with the carers?   What's the point of their organisation otherwise? 

No foster carer with any rescue should be left holding the can with a dog that has serious issues... regardless of experience.

Rescues like this are banking on the carer developing an emotional tie to the dog in question and "hanging in there" for an inderterminate amount of time... meanwhile the dog is causing all sorts of emotional stresses (and physical sometimes) which is really messing with the carer's lifestyle.

It's time for an ultimatum... stop capitulating and just tell them outright that the dog needs to go - be it to another carer or kennels, or to god - and it needs to be by a specific date, or you will euthanaise her yourself and send them the bill.

Your own dogs will thank you for it - this is affecting them too!

T.

Roova likes this

10 hours ago, Simply Grand said:

Allegedly someone involved who presumably has seen the videos I sent through as part of my assessment has said that one of the reasons that Molly should be moved to kennels is that I 'keep her chained to the stove all day'

This made me  so sad and ANGRY  .. what an abuse of your care, skill and time. 

:( :(

LDH likes this

9 hours ago, tdierikx said:

No foster carer with any rescue should be left holding the can with a dog that has serious issues... regardless of experience.

Rescues like this are banking on the carer developing an emotional tie to the dog in question and "hanging in there" for an inderterminate amount of time... meanwhile the dog is causing all sorts of emotional stresses (and physical sometimes) which is really messing with the carer's lifestyle.

It's time for an ultimatum... stop capitulating and just tell them outright that the dog needs to go - be it to another carer or kennels, or to god - and it needs to be by a specific date, or you will euthanaise her yourself and send them the bill.

Your own dogs will thank you for it - this is affecting them too!

T.

It's close to an outcome now T, one way or another :)

persephone, Roova, tdierikx and 1 other like this

Good to hear SG... you have gone way above and beyond for this rescue and Molly, but you and your own dogs need some downtime now...

T.