Unusual Cross-Breds

PossumCorner

There are some cross-breds that seem rational even though we don't condone them. But I just saw a local ad for puppies - Daschund crossed with a Deerhound/Staghound cross. Poor little things. I guess they could mature as lovely-to-own family dogs, but gee it just doesn't seem right.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One would sincerely hope that (a) it was NOT a planned mating and that (b) the stag X was the dam.

I really believe that accidents like that should NOT be permitted to be sold entire, or even given away entire. Pass the litter to rescue for desexing before rehoming and take precautions (recommend desexing of parents) to avoid a repeat.

Agree there is a lot of sad out there with careless breeding. frown.gif

Lurcher cross Labradoodle (Lab/Poodle)...

18-03-2012-Fern_Willow038.jpg

Frenchie/Pug/Maltese...

2012-05-27-fbx-pups116.jpg

We saw a lot of Corgi/Kelpie crosses when I was with rescue...

The strangest I ever saw was a Staffy/Maltese... she was the size and shape of a staffy, but had whispy white hair... it actually looked not too bad, and she was a lovely dog who ended up in the best home ever.

T.

Best I ever saw was a whippet x basset hound. I met "Trident" near the end of his life, the fellow lifting his grey little face from his resident position in his basket on the front of the porch at a hunting lodge belonging to a friend of a friend in the middle of nowhere. He had the head and colouring of a whippet and the body of a basset, more or less. Bizarre looking thing, but he was 17 when he died so he wasn't a disaster at least. If I am remembering correctly it was an accidental mating and they gave the pups away. To this day I wish I had gotten a photo of him.

Edited by kiwihounds

Has anyone come across a cross that turned out exactly like one breed in the cross?

I saw a gorgeous tibetan spaniel at the local markets. With every feature of the breed, so I had no doubt it was a purebred...until!!! I walked over & congratulated the owner on their lovely p/b tibbie.

Owner said he wasn't p/b, he was a cross, and she knew the parent dogs (both owned by family friends). Chihuahua and Tibetan Spaniel. Even after being told, I still couldn't see anything that didn't look full tibbie.

The owner said I was not the first person to come up to her in public, with the belief he was p/b tibbie.

Has anyone come across a cross that turned out exactly like one breed in the cross?

I saw a gorgeous tibetan spaniel at the local markets. With every feature of the breed, so I had no doubt it was a purebred...until!!! I walked over & congratulated the owner on their lovely p/b tibbie.

Owner said he wasn't p/b, he was a cross, and she knew the parent dogs (both owned by family friends). Chihuahua and Tibetan Spaniel. Even after being told, I still couldn't see anything that didn't look full tibbie.

The owner said I was not the first person to come up to her in public, with the belief he was p/b tibbie.

I had a chihuahua that I thought was in pup to a chihuahua, but when she was due the "pup" was so big both I and vet thought she had 3 pups all in a tangle. so Ceaser done and it was one ginormous pup.

She grew to look like a purebred Tibetan and not surprisingly her name was Tibbie. No one picked she was an accident, finally tracked it down to the neighbours Cavalier King charles had nicked in for a visit after digging a hole under the fence, they spotted him when they came home and filled in the hole n forgot all about it n didn't tell me well not until I was saying my girl had produced one seriously weird pup, cute as paint though

I've seen a litter of 10 pups where it was obvious that there were multiple fathers... like almost all of the pups were very different from each other.

T.

a friend sent her australian cattledog off for a mating. except unknown to her, her darling son had been letting her out for a "run" each afternoon when he came home from work.

she did have 4 purebred ACD puppies, the other 7 passed for purebred rotties, at least they sold like hot cakes, wonder what they looked like as adults?

the purebred cattle pups grew up awesome so had no setbacks from their other littermates.

Edited by asal

One of the best dogs I had as a foster was a kelpie X corgi. My neighbour had a poodle X kelpie , farm dog got to wife's poodle .

I see certain X breeds and just wonder what they were thinking !

My mum briefly had this idea of seeing if she could get a Papillon x Poodle until I told her in no uncertain terms that this would NOT be happening!!! :eek:

Oh and the ugliest dog I ever clapped eyes on was from an oops litter between pedigree Chinese crested and Pekingese!! Imagine a Peke like build with a hairy hairless coat and crooked bite with buck teeth and bulgy eyes. OMG it was baaad!

one of the oddest was an ACD X corgi!

All ACD markings & shape - with 3 inch legs!!

A friend had a corgi x red when i was a kid. Awesome dog. :)

He looked like a red with his legs cut off.

The first time I met this dog was hilarious .

Was watching her sitting up proud in the driver's seat of her boss's car .. admiring her boofy head, and colour ... so her boss opened the car door ..and I burst out laughing when her chest was almost on teh ground!

Litter of Border Collie x JRT. They all looked like miniature BCs. JRT never got a look in.

These 'borderjacks are very popular 'sport mixes' overseas. These and bordercollie x staffies and border x whippets.

The new thing i believe is papillon x border collie...