Unusual Cross-Breds

PossumCorner

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one of the oddest was an ACD X corgi!

All ACD markings & shape - with 3 inch legs!!

Our neighbour has a little dog who has ACD markings and fur, but has little legs and a long body like my corgi x terrier rescue :-) He'a a funny little thing, he can't actually bark properly, he sounds hilarious!

Stormwey is/was a prefix for a Pembroke Corgi kennel.

Yeah, I've been trying to track them down and see if they are still breeding. :-) He was called "Stormwey Dark n Handsome" so they called him Stormy. I can't find his pedigree online or anything but I can find his sire and dam. I think Revelmere Cockahoops or something? Such cool names hehe :-)

The strangest I ever saw was a Staffy/Maltese... she was the size and shape of a staffy, but had whispy white hair... it actually looked not too bad, and she was a lovely dog who ended up in the best home ever.

T.

My friend has a Staffy/Maltese. She's the size of a Maltese with the Maltese coat texture but she's brindle and has the exuberant Staffy temperament. Awesome little dog.

With a brief look on the NZKC pedigree lookup Stormwey did have at least one litter this year, so yep still breeding :)

Oh my goodness!! Thanks so much! I'll go have a look :happydance2: :D

Maybe one day we can get one of Stormy's little relatives. Don't think another dog will happen for a while, but when we do, if we want a corgi we'll have a look. That made my day finding that out. I'll have to tell my Grandfather, who owned our Stormy! He doesn't want another dog though, he would love one but he feels he would be way too heartbroken when the dog goes over the rainbow bridge. Stormy was at a kennel while they were on holiday one day and when they got home he was dead! They were too mortified and upset to ask so no-one actually knows what happened to the poor little fella! :(

(Sorry for kind of ruining this feed btw! oops.)

Stormwey is, if I remember correctly, is a NZ Kennel, you could contact the NZ kennel club or the Welsh Corgi Kennel club, they would be able to let you know if they are still breeding. Longstanding prefix.

Thanks so much! Yes he was imported from NZ, they got him in the 80s I think from a lady in the Hunter Valley/Newcastle area. Maybe Morpeth but I can't remember, near me anyway. I might contact them just for fun. Thanks again! :)

I read about a "Frug" today?? Any clues what that would be??

Yep.

It's a cross bred dog. Probably bred without any health testing of sire and dam and sold for more than a pure bred. frown.gif

Yeah, probably people who like pugs & frenchies (very fashionable at the moment) and can't decide. Also puppy millers who are breeding both and had an oops? Or on purpose. Makes me angry though. Puppy farms/mass breeding without major health consideration is bad enough for any other breed. But then throw in unhealthy breeds like pugs and frenchies, who often need c-sections, and have the brachy face and breathing problems. Not a good idea to breed them like rabbits in my opinion! Really bad for the breeds. :(

What's getting me at the moment, is if you go and look, most of the cross-breds and pure without papers pups are selling for (if not more) the same price as pure breds with papers.

Many years ago, I had a girl, one of the prettiest I'd seen, she had the blue speckled nose of a cattledog, but colouring she was a piebald of the tan of my dobies and white. She was about the size of a working kelpie and the flightiest dog I'd met, if she wasn't happy, the first thought would be flight. No idea what she was, she and all her littermates just turned up on our street.

I have a client at the moment with a CKCS/Beagle mix. He looks Beagle with a bit of whisp in his tail and a slightly odd ear set and rounded skull. I'm yet to see the CKCS in his behaviour. He is very Beagle.

Yes, we do get GSD/corgi cross all the time for our vallhund. We actually met some on the beach once, and they looked nothing like Erik. They were tan with black masks and a wee bit of sabling.

We get a few of these, and pug x beagles. Not a fan of the look of either mix, but :shrug:

Yep.

It's a cross bred dog. Probably bred without any health testing of sire and dam and sold for more than a pure bred. frown.gif

Yes,Frenchie x pug - Usually cheaper than a pure frenchie for those who want the trendy dog but dont want to pay the price for one

Yep.

Yeah, probably people who like pugs & frenchies (very fashionable at the moment) and can't decide. Also puppy millers who are breeding both and had an oops? Or on purpose. Makes me angry though. Puppy farms/mass breeding without major health consideration is bad enough for any other breed. But then throw in unhealthy breeds like pugs and frenchies, who often need c-sections, and have the brachy face and breathing problems. Not a good idea to breed them like rabbits in my opinion! Really bad for the breeds. :(

I know that there are unhealthy Frenchies and Pugs bred, but do not throw all of us into the category of breeding unhealthy dogs, I have been breeding Frenchies, previously Pem Corgis, for 35 years and most of my dogs have lived to about 14 years old also the ones I have sold only needing the vet for annual check ups, yes the girls do have to have c sections, but then you only ever have two litters, if you are ethical, from the one bitch.

It is a lot of homework to be done before doing a mating to make sure that you have health tested dogs also what has been produced by the Sire or Dam from previous litters.

but I just wasn't sure what breeds made up the new word. [/font][/font][/color]

French Bulldog crossed with Pug? Frug

I can't think of any other dog breed that starts with 'Fr', except something French.

Whoops! Sorry, Scrappi&Monty ... you beat me to that guess. Didn't see it.

Edited by mita

Yep.

I know that there are unhealthy Frenchies and Pugs bred, but do not throw all of us into the category of breeding unhealthy dogs, I have been breeding Frenchies, previously Pem Corgis, for 35 years and most of my dogs have lived to about 14 years old also the ones I have sold only needing the vet for annual check ups, yes the girls do have to have c sections, but then you only ever have two litters, if you are ethical, from the one bitch.

It is a lot of homework to be done before doing a mating to make sure that you have health tested dogs also what has been produced by the Sire or Dam from previous litters.

Oh no I'm really sorry, that's not what I meant ❤️ I meant the puppy millers and BYB breed without the necessary health testing etc which really effects the poor little guys. Slack BYB & puppy millers don't bother with C-sections, even if necessary and can put the dogs through lots of issues from that. I have a lot of respect and admire awesome breeders like you guys on dol that put so much effort in, and in turn have great dogs. :)

Edited by Scrappi&Monty