Retained Testicle

Rozzie

Depends. For show, they can't be shown after 6 months with only one testicle.

I've had one drop the second one at 9 months of age and he has gone on to sire litters and none of his sons had the same issue.

The disclaimer here is that he did have two at 8 weeks, then it disappeared when he was teething.

So if you have the luxury of time, I would say maximum 12 months and if no sign of it then, it's time for neutering and retrieval from inside.

My parents' new pup had a retained testicle. He's just been neutered at 7mths. It was discovered hidden in muscle all the way up in his abdomen. His breeder and the breeder who used to own his dam said to desex at 6mths if it didn't come down, but my parents were away at the time.

Their puppy also had some baby teeth pulled that were starting to affect his bite. With his jaw still developing the associated adult adult teeth can now move into their proper position. So that's another thing to consider.

Can the vet feel it anywhere? Often they can feel a hard lump under the skin. If it's where it should be you may feel confident waiting a bit longer. I was told by someone else that they had a puppy's come down sometime between 7-9mths.

If it's not down by 3 months then that's it as far as I am concerned. Had a pup that was to go OS but only had one down at 3 months and while the overseas person was happy to wait a bit longer I wasn't. He was going to be used at stud and I didn't think he was suitable. Sold as a pet/show and was desexed at 12 months and shown in neuter class for his title. Missing testicle never came down. Both found at 7 weeks.

My dog had his retained until 9 months and then suddenly it popped down! Desexed him just as that happened. Is pretty rare for that to happen but at a younger age the vet could feel it and push it into position. My plan was to desex at 12 months.