Puppy Car Restraint - Necessary Or No?

busymum01

Hi all, I'm trying to get ourselves all sorted with the necessary paraphernalia for when we pick him up in the New Year. The one thing which has me stumped is a car harness - are they a must (by law or otherwise?) or is it something not to worry about just yet? We have a lengthy three hour drive to bring our pup home and since we live rural, anywhere we go will ultimately be quite the drive thereafter.

Also if it is a must, please, PLEASE give me your recommendations for what I should look for. We're being owned by a golden retriever so he'll grow FAST - but I don't want to be constantly spending money on buying bigger car harnesses all the time either. Please help! TIA!

I think it depends on the state re: law.

Otherwise, personally, yeah they're a must: 10-30 kilos of airborne dog can do a lot of harm to other passengers and themselves in an accident.

Admittedly i use a very simple clip which goes in the seatbelt & other end attaches to a collar or harness. (I don't use the collar in case my dog is flung off the seat & kinda hangs :( )

A new puppy, how exciting!

It's my understanding that dogs have to be restrained in a car, but they don't specify how? So it could be a harness or a carrier or a crate. Either way you don't want your dog becoming a projectile. :eek:

I personally would always go with something crash tested but with a puppy with a lot of growing to do that's a bit harder. Are you crate training? An airline crate may be a good option though you then need to worry about how to secure it.

Crash-tested harnesses that I know of:

Kurgo (two options)

Sleepypod click-it

Petlife Roadie

My dog travels in a sleepypod (crash tested carrier that doubles as a bed) but he's little.

The other thing to consider is a long car ride ride with a new puppy which may become motion sick.

Even though he will grow out of it very quickly I would be buying or borrowing a crate for his first ride. Keep on hand spare towels for possible clean up and clean bedding and a garbage bad or something to pop any soiled bedding in. A packet of non-perfumed baby wipes is also great for clean-up.

The other thing to consider is a long car ride ride with a new puppy which may become motion sick.

Even though he will grow out of it very quickly I would be buying or borrowing a crate for his first ride. Keep on hand spare towels for possible clean up and clean bedding and a garbage bad or something to pop any soiled bedding in. A packet of non-perfumed baby wipes is also great for clean-up.

I didn't even think of this. :eek: Thank you!

Papillion Kisses, I'll definitely check out your suggestions, thank you!

Hi there!

i believe that if your dog cant be in a restrained crate, then at least a harness/ belt of some sort should be worn. imagine a 30 kilo dog sitting in the middle

of a car, having an accident and seeing your dog go out the windscreen. our dogs are our children, there safety is of paramount importance :)

What type of car do you have? Mine travel in harnesses in the back of an SUV, with the harnesses attached to the child restraint anchors. No matter how safe a driver you may be, others are idiots. I had a car written off at a red light as the guy behind me (I was 10 cars back mind you) thought stopping was optional. From the moment I'd stopped at the light, I watched him drive about 300m and plough into the back of my stationary vehicle, he didn't really brake until he was on top of me. I was on a bridge, so no escaping........ Ever since then, dogs are harnessed for all car trips.

When I picked up my pup, he was travelled in the cat crate,but he was a tiny 2.5kg.

Edited by karen15

What type of car do you have? Mine travel in harnesses in the back of an SUV, with the harnesses attached to the child restraint anchors. No matter how safe a driver you may be, others are idiots. I had a car written off at a red light as the guy behind me (I was 10 cars back mind you) thought stopping was optional. From the moment I'd stopped at the light, I watched him drive about 300m and plough into the back of my stationary vehicle, he didn't really brake until he was on top of me. I was on a bridge, so no escaping........ Ever since then, dogs are harnessed for all car trips.

When I picked up my pup, he was travelled in the cat crate,but he was a tiny 2.5kg.

How scary for you Karen :(! We drive a Mazda CX5, with three kids across the back typically so my fur baby pup will be travelling in the cargo space when we head to the beach. I've been looking at the Ezydog chest plate range and adjustable car restraint to have him secured in the first couple of months as he grows into his 'bigger size' and I invest in something he'll be wearing for a while.