Aldi Dehydrator

RuralPug

OK, so I was in ALDI yesterday and they had dehydrators for around $40.

Instant dreams of more home made treats, but I managed to hold back. laugh.gif

Have searched on here for threads re dehydrators but really didn't find any reviews of the ALDI ones. Are they worthwhile or should I keep waiting for a better brand to appear second hand?

I'd just like to know of anyone has tried the ALDI one or will I be the guinea pig LOL?

Ams used to dry chicken necks and breasts for the pei but she had some fancy looking thing that looked like a desktop filing cabinet with shelves that slid in and out. I think it was around $100 and it wasn't from Aldi's. I don't think she's on DOL anymore to comment but I remember once she mentioned problems with the necks rotting quicker than she could dry them out with the machine. It may have been related to our summer heat at that time. I know she did successfully dry a lot on a ongoing basis. I'm thinking once you dry meat though you probably don't want to use the same set up to dry fruit.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes I bought one! It does have a timer, variable temp control and 5 stackable trays.smile.gif

I bought roo steak and a couple of chicken breasts to make dried treats but before I had the chance to thinly slice then, my %^*&^$%$#& Siamese got around the child-proof lock on the fridge and removed them!!!icon_smile_mad.gif

Pug puppy happily assisted in the opening of both packages - the cats started on the chicken while pug puppy played wiith the roo steak. I arrived on the scene in time to see foster staffy dragging the roo steak through the baby gate and that was the end of that.

I cut the remains of the breasts into chunks and shared them amongst the tribe.

I have to replace the child-proof lock before I purchase new meats to dehydrate - dragging a heavy bin in front of the fridge door is getting old very fast! icon_smile_mad.gif

Guest crazydoglady99

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha OMG!!!!!!!!

Sorry I shouldn't laugh. I've never had a pet get up to that much mischief, I'd be horrified!!!

Edited by crazydoglady99

When you use it with meat or liver make sure you slice the meat really thinly (if you 1/2 freeze it is easier) and do it all underneath the house if you live in a high-set house or in the shed as it stinks, I mean it REALLY STINKS (especially liver or heart)

Good luck and have fun :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...