Spirit Of Tasmania Dog Traveling.

Pailin

We are soon to be traveling around Australia with a van and my beautiful dog Lolly will be coming with. Everything is very up in the air and rushed at the moment. House sale finalises on the 7th December, we have to pick up the caravan (leave from Brisbane, collect it from Gladstone) and then we have managed to get a last minute cancellation spot on the Spirit of Tasmania for the 17th December. It is going to be insane but my sister (who I am traveling with) is determined to spend Xmas with our brother in Tassie.

Problem is that the spot we have secured and paid for does not include a kennel space and the kennels onboard are booked out currently. I have rang a few places and gotten quotes to fly her over ($300) but I really would prefer to keep her with me. My SIL and brother are the only possibility to pick her up from the airport if I go that route but it would be early Saturday morning (we would arrive the next day), they have a selective staffy who is super full on and my girl is getting older, will fret being away from me and may not tolerate their dog (I would like to be there for the introduction).

So at the present moment I will be calling daily to check if any kennel bookings have been cancelled and booking the flight if we cannot get her on BUT I have been told that if I sign an indemnity waiver she can travel over on the boat and remain in the car or caravan (will be in the canopy of the Triton). This information has been given by other people, not by the Spirit booking people I have talked with so not even 100% sure if it can be done. There seems to be quite a few people who have done this, we are on the night trip so heat shouldn't be a factor, but I have read an article where two Rottys passed away 5years ago on the Spirit and the owner suspected carbon monoxide poisoning...

So my question is, what would you do if this option is even a possibility. Would you leave your dog in your vehicle where they are comfortable and used to being and traveling, with their own comfortable bedding, water etc but with a possible risk of carbon monoxide and not being able to check on them, or would you fly them- a short flight-, not knowing how they will cope and knowing that they will spend a day fretting with strangers?

Has anyone taken their dog/s over on the Spirit? Thoughts?

Thanks

Edited by Pailin

I went on the then Abel Tasman ferry across the Bass Strait as a kid on a family holiday. We took the car so we could drive around the island for the trip. I would not leave a dog on the car deck for the trip.

Yes carbon monoxide poisoning is a concern, but so is temperature, the car deck is down low so no heat evaporating, plus it's weird and creepy on the car deck, even a dog comfy in the car isn't used to being alone, in the dark, on a rolling ship...

I'd go for the flight and a day with strangers personally.

Edited by Simply Grand

I went on the then Abel Tasman ferry across the Bass Strait as a kid on a family holiday. We took the car so we could drive around the island for the trip. I would not leave a dog on the car deck for the trip.

Yes carbon monoxide poisoning is a concern, but so is temperature, the car deck is down low so no heat evaporating, plus it's weird and creepy on the car deck, even a dog comfy in the car isn't used to being alone, in the dark, on a rolling ship...

I'd go for the flight and a day with strangers personally.

This.

If you fly her into Launceston, you might be able to organise with Pets Now Boarding to pick her up from the airport and bring her back to their kennels. They're right near the airport at Breadalbane, which is on the way to Hobart (if that's where the OP is going) but still only about 15 minutes out of Launceston.

Their website- http://petsnowboarding.com.au/

I have taken dogs on the boat once and would never do it again. You can't check on them for 12+ hours and if something goes wrong, tough cookies.

I'd fly her - but I know plenty of show people who have travelled across with dogs in canopies on utes or cages in the backs of wagons without any problem

We have taken dogs over and back a few times, first time we used cages, other trips they stayed in their trailer..I would NEVER leave dogs in a vehicle over summer in case it was hot, even at night, dogs have died, ferry people will put you in best spot if you have animals but they will be heavily booked on that date .....I would fly her over, maybe using a kennel to collect her until you pick her up but I fear they will be booked out too, or you could kennel her in Melbourne and have them send her over when you get there, think you would need a pet transport company....is Waynerod still around?

A lot of the kennels will do drop off and pick up. I would recommend Cottage Kennels in Plenty. Leave the dog with them, travel over and arrange to pick the dog in Tassie

Great idea that smoothes out any concerns.

The issue with the spirit and the two Rottis that died (one on the debark and the other on docking) is because the parking officials forced my friend to park on the 4th level. She tried arguing but they insisted it was fine. She'd left her dogs in her 4WD many time on this trip and knew the 5th deck was the only place the dogs should be. Their is enough dissipation for the carbon monoxide on the 5th deck, but not on the 4th.

Definitely only do the night crossing if you decide to keep your dog in the ute and do not let the officials make you park anywhere but on the 5th deck.

Personally, after receiving my dear friends phone call early that morning and her telling me she'd just returned to her car to find her two dogs dead, one on departure and the other on arrival and the third dog affected and her explaining it all graphically to me, I just don't think I would ever risk putting any of my dogs on the spirit. The carbon monoxide from the cars parking and then driving off is the problem. There are so many cars left running for such long periods of time.

It is not uncommon for animals to die on that crossing. We rarely hear about it because of what the Spirit put owners through afterwards.

Edited by Starkehre

The issue with the spirit and the two Rottis that died (one on the debark and the other on docking) is because the parking officials forced my friend to park on the 4th level. She tried arguing but they insisted it was fine. She'd left her dogs in her 4WD many time on this trip and knew the 5th deck was the only place the dogs should be. Their is enough dissipation for the carbon monoxide on the 5th deck, but not on the 4th.

Definitely only do the night crossing if you decide to keep your dog in the ute and do not let the officials make you park anywhere but on the 5th deck.

Personally, after receiving my dear friends phone call early that morning and her telling me she'd just returned to her car to find her two dogs dead, one on departure and the other on arrival and the third dog affected and her explaining it all graphically to me, I just don't think I would ever risk putting any of my dogs on the spirit. The carbon monoxide from the cars parking and then driving off is the problem. There are so many cars left running for such long periods of time.

It is not uncommon for animals to die on that crossing. We rarely hear about it because of what the Spirit put owners through afterwards.

Thats just horrible :(

I think I'd find a way to have my dog declared a therapy dog for my anxiety...

Otherwise I'm going to have an anxiety attack worrying about her on the spirit.

There really ought to be a space where owners can be with their dogs, especially ones that are crate trained. Never occured to me that things left in cars on the car deck could be killed by carbon monoxide. My travelling car spiders would not be happy.

My Border Collies have travelled frequently on the Spirit. They haven't used the ship kennels since Rory was a 12 week old, 8 years ago. Yes, you do have to sign an indemnity .. absolving TT line of responsibility for everything up to and including World War 3. And I alsways pay for a kennel ( or 2 if I have to) so that I get the dog on board thingy that hangs off your windscreen, and you can insist on being parked on one of the two kennel decks .. 5 and occasionally 3. There was one memorable trip where I was parked down on deck 3 next to a big piece of earth moving equipment, and something else right behind .. I couldn't have got the dogs out to put them in kennels if I'd wanted to .. should have asked for my kennel money back, but couldn't be bothered. :)

My dogs are secure in their wire crates, complete with dog beds and their water bowls hanging on the crate. I leave the car windows down as much as is necessary .. right down in summer. Yes, some security risk, but the decks are locked before sailing, and the security guys do patrol.

I don't think the dogs sleep much .. lights are on all night, and it's a bit noisy, so I always leave a day between sailing and competing. But I haven't seen dogs really distressed .. some do bark in the kennels. And for a very large dog, I haven't seen a ship's kennel that I would consider big enough for the crossing.

Having said all that .... it may not be an option for you if you can't book a kennel for the voyage .. I wouldn't travel without that yellow hanger thing that lets you insist on not being on Deck 6.

I have flown my dogs across once since they were puppies .. had to do it in June this year, as the Spirit sailings were cancelled because of the floods. I arranged my flights at very short notice, and used an agent to get the dogs on ... very good service.

We have travelled backwards and forwards on the spirit, set up a crate in the caravan. You should be on the deck with the caravans. Have left the screen door open to let the air flow through, dogs have been fine.

Problem is that the spot we have secured and paid for does not include a kennel space and the kennels onboard are booked out currently. I have rang a few places and gotten quotes to fly her over ($300) but I really would prefer to keep her with me. My SIL and brother are the only possibility to pick her up from the airport if I go that route but it would be early Saturday morning (we would arrive the next day), they have a selective staffy who is super full on and my girl is getting older, will fret being away from me and may not tolerate their dog (I would like to be there for the introduction).

Perhaps you could fly with her and let Sis bring the van over.

I wish Australia would catch up with countries that allow dogs in shops and on transport. Really tragic about those two rotties, my heart just breaks for them and their owners.

i'd fly your dog over and get professionals to pick it up - that way its safe.

I did read about a dog that died flying, hadn't even got on on the plane - it was a 36 degree day - Sydney airport. The dog was with all the luggage in a crate on a trolley thing in one of those hot sheds that have the front section open waiting for the guys to come get the luggage to load up the plane. Dog died from heat exhaustion. It was a French Bulldog which would not have helped, but thats simply horrible. Since reading about that I have sworn if I am ever flying with my dogs, I will cancel if its a hot day. I don't care what it costs me, or whether I make the trip.