Scrappi&Monty

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's too small.

That was the biggest one across all the stores today! :eek:

15338371_1792094751079084_2698376507234975744_n.jpg

Another angle. She can definitely turn around in it and I think she'd be able to lie down on her side flat (she was too worried to test this for me).

What would next size up be? I think I am running out of sizes!

Edited by Thistle the dog

So this overpriced store one I rudely shoved her in was 107 L x 71W x 76H

The Vebo place have one that is 107 L x 70W x 80H

and a 122 L x 75 W x 85 H

so perhaps that latter one? I had just noticed they have 30% currently off on crates... but then the sizing guides say not to give too much space?

Could someone let me know if they are indeed as easy to unpack and move around as claimed? :)

(Sorry to hijack scrappi! I had been looking around lately...)

Edit: Woops missed your post Maddy, so suggesting the size you gave me yesterday based off a verbal knock off greyhound description :laugh:

Edited by Thistle the dog

So this overpriced store one I rudely shoved her in was 107 L x 71W x 76H

The Vebo place have one that is 107 L x 70W x 80H

and a 122 L x 75 W x 85 H

so perhaps that latter one? I had just noticed they have 30% currently off on crates... but then the sizing guides say not to give too much space?

Could someone let me know if they are indeed as easy to unpack and move around as claimed? :)

(Sorry to hijack scrappi! I had been looking around lately...)

Edit: Woops missed your post Maddy, so suggesting the size you gave me yesterday based off a verbal knock off greyhound description :laugh:

122cm is a 48" and that should give her room to lie down comfortably on her side. Not giving too much space is recommended if toileting in the crate might be an issue (for puppies or adult dogs being toilet trained) but otherwise, there's really no reason to restrict space. A larger crate will be heavier but I can easily carry and put up a 48", most come with a carry handle anyway and to put them up, they just sort of.. unfold in different directions. I'm probably not explaining that very well but they're very easy to put up. You just unclip the clips that hold it closed, unfolded out the one side/the roof and then lift them up. That pops up the other side and then you just have to stand up the ends and clip the clippy bits over the wires to secure it all. Like I said, I'm not great at explaining but it's very simple :p

Larger also means more room for food and water in there, without it being knocked over by turning dog bum.

Edit: Oh! The other thing is, get a crate with a plastic tray, not a metal one. Metal is assumed to be better because.. metal? but trust me, the slightest whiff of something corrosive nearby (bleach, for example) and even the slightest, tiniest chip in the powder coating and that sh*t will rust like nobody's business. After binning a few trays with rust developing on them (and being stuck with crates that are now useless), I've switched to the plastic trays and they're awesome. They're slightly deeper than the metal ones anyway, the plastic seems really thick and sturdy and they come out of a big crate smoothly, unlike the metal ones that wobble around and are a general PITA. Easier to clean, lighter, less noisy.

Edited by Maddy

Launching off this, when buying a crate online how do you know you're getting the "right size" for your dog? We have been measuring in person (putting her in crates in stores lol) and comparing prices - I am not sure if should go more space is better, or just enough to sit, stand, turn around and not have her head hitting the roof? Tossing up between 36" and 42"

It would be a wire crate for packing her away at noseworks and tracking.

I am worried about getting the "wrong size" :/

How big is Thistle compared to a greyhound? I've always used 48" crates for my greyhounds and found that size to be reasonable for most of them. The Shitty Whippet has a 36" crate and she's an 11kg whippet, so I'd think that size crate would be way too small for Thistle (judging just from how big she looks in photos, anyway).

Shes a little bit shorter and not quite as long but could probably pass as a small knock off greyhound ????

PK I had not thought about laying on side... thank you for the link. Having never owned a crate before it is hard to picture what we will need ????

I use 48 inch crates for my greys at home and 42 inch at shows. The 48 is heaps of room for my 75cm, 36 kilo boy. The 42 inch is also good, he can lay on his side etc, I just prefer the bigger one for home use. Mind you they very rarely have the door shut on the home ones. I'm happy to have my dogs in the 42 inch for 3 days at a time while away at shows.

Scrappie I think you just snapped up the one I was after for the car , I was watching it and it's gone ???? I have a 42 for my bully as she is big , but after a 36 for the car , I'm temped to try a soft crate to contain the white hairs but not sure it' will hold her ????

Those animates crates are a bitch to fold unless you like losing fingers. I've been procrastinating taking mine down for weeks lol. My kelpie or vizsla fits in it easily but you definitely need bigger. They can be hard to get in store though.

Lol. Really? Im quite good at it & akways feel like an origami ninja when i put mine up or down :)

Those animates crates are a bitch to fold unless you like losing fingers. I've been procrastinating taking mine down for weeks lol. My kelpie or vizsla fits in it easily but you definitely need bigger. They can be hard to get in store though.

Lol. Really? Im quite good at it & akways feel like an origami ninja when i put mine up or down :)

I assumed all wire crates opened the same? And assuming that is the case, maybe we're just awesome at folding/unfolding stuff? :noidea:

Scrappie I think you just snapped up the one I was after for the car , I was watching it and it's gone ???? I have a 42 for my bully as she is big , but after a 36 for the car , I'm temped to try a soft crate to contain the white hairs but not sure it' will hold her ????

The one about 20 mins from thornleigh? 36" for $50 and an old Vebo one? Someone else did, not me. I went to check and it was gone! :-( haha

You can have ours - for free.

I believe we have two. One is huge and fits a golden retriever and the other is a size below that.

I can't be bothered selling them for $80 each, I just want room in my attic space.

If you want them, they're yours. You just have to pick them up, from Goulburn.

They are metal, foldable with I'm pretty sure a tray, but can't remember if it's metal or not. I have a feeling it's hard plastic (due to weight).

Edited by poochmad

The Vebo fold the same way as any other wire crate I have had. Occasionally I struggle to undo it to fold up because it is a thicker wire and stronger than others I have. They are also fairly heavy (it says the XXL one is 24kg). I have a Large (36inch) for the Kelpies and I certainly couldn't carry anything bigger than that!

I believe we have two. One is huge and fits a golden retriever and the other is a size below that.

I can't be bothered selling them for $80 each, I just want room in my attic space.

They are metal, foldable with I'm pretty sure a tray, but can't remember if it's metal or not. I have a feeling it's hard plastic (due to weight).

Aww that would be great poochmad! Only problem is Goulburn is too much of a hike for us! I'm sure someone else closer by will snap them up though! ????

Aww that would be great poochmad! Only problem is Goulburn is too much of a hike for us! I'm sure someone else closer by will snap them up though! ????

I'm sure there are a few rescues that would be happy to take up the offer of free crates... would you be amenable to donating them to rescue?

T.

I'm sure there are a few rescues that would be happy to take up the offer of free crates... would you be amenable to donating them to rescue?

T.

Yes that would be a lovely idea!

T.

Of course.

Who's the rescue group in Goulburn?