Crates- Where To Buy Cheap

Scrappi&Monty

Back to metal trays - I have only one wiith a metal tray (49" and pink LOL) and I cut a piece of flooring vinyl (tossed out free from a carpet laying place ;) ) to fit the tray to protect it and it works really well. In between uses I can pull out the vinyl and F10 the whole lot thoroughly.

One of my crates has no tray at all LOL and I line that one with a bit of flooring vinyl too so that the bedding does not get caught on the wires on the bottom. :)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can have ours - for free.

I believe we have two. One is huge and fits a golden retriever and the other is a size below that.

I can't be bothered selling them for $80 each, I just want room in my attic space.

If you want them, they're yours. You just have to pick them up, from Goulburn.

They are metal, foldable with I'm pretty sure a tray, but can't remember if it's metal or not. I have a feeling it's hard plastic (due to weight).

Aww that would be great poochmad! Only problem is Goulburn is too much of a hike for us! I'm sure someone else closer by will snap them up though! ????

I'm sure there are a few rescues that would be happy to take up the offer of free crates... would you be amenable to donating them to rescue?

T.

Of course.

Who's the rescue group in Goulburn?

I'm sure a Sydney group could organise a pickup from Goulburn... Sydney Dingo Rescue is always looking for crates, and could probably get someone to pick up from you. They are in Menangle, so only about an hour drive... would you be able to PM me a phone number, and I can pass it on to them?

T.

Okay set up was easy... it's not too big I hope? I don't want to be a bother to noseworks class ppl but really want that extra solid metal security for peace of mind :o

Plan was to put it in place of her bed in my room. Ain't going to fit. It can be a new table for the lounge once I get a cover??

Edited by Thistle the dog

Okay set up was easy... it's not too big I hope? I don't want to be a bother to noseworks class ppl but really want that extra solid metal security for peace of mind :o

Plan was to put it in place of her bed in my room. Ain't going to fit. It can be a new table for the lounge once I get a cover??

Good price! Great find! You will need to place a piece of plywood on the top if you want it to double as an extra lounge table through, cover or not! laugh.gif

Poor Thistle does look uncomfortable at the moment in there. I would be giving her all meals in that crate (door open) to help her with that.

It does look extra roomy for a crate for trials etc. Once she is really comfortable with crates, and if she becomes more reliable and less reactive you may be able to graduate to a slightly smaller crate for trials and events.

Size is roomy but looks fine to me as a regular crate, she's quite a tall dog and when you deck it out with soft furnishings the crate will become smaller.

I agree with what Rural Pug says above including keeping the door open. This is the crate training handout we got from our VB but we were instructed to keep the door open or take it off completely: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/56fc3a5f07eaa0d5a30b3e0f/t/5717ee507da24f347b1e5969/1461186131386/Crate-Training-How-To.pdf

I doubt the Nosework people will care to be honest.

Thistle, if you want any extra crate help, Susan Garrett's Crate Games DVD is great! This is what the DVD says:

Allows anyone to produce:

* Focus and motivation for work

* A dog that can relax in his crate even while you work another dog

* A phenomenal sit stay

* A speedy and dependable recall

* Distance skills for obedience or agility

* Self- rather then imposed-control

* A remarkable working relationship

* Confidence while being proofed during any tough distraction

* A dog that keenly offers responses when being shaped

* ...and much more!

You guys were right about the bed, picked one up $40 on impulse (christmas sales!) and it looks much smaller now. Assuming in the future it will have a water bowl and a solar powered fan for summer, I can see all that space going!

I've come inside and she's fast asleep in it :o could she be any more perfect?

15439964_10157737439550161_497125479681481752_n.jpg?oh=40943acf19a46b6d7982b839bc9a633d&oe=58F81DFF&__gda__=1488293224_81157bc2ab7c1c68b2e9214247258c5f

Hoping you're having some luck scrappi? I'm sure if keep stalking gumtree one will surprise you!

I don't want to be an enabler or anything ( :angeldevil: ) but what I have in my crates is the 48", thick foam mats (like this) and then a bolster bed on top (like so) and that gives you a nice, soft base, and gives them a bit of something to snuggle back against. For extra cold weather, a piece of unbacked vetbed, cut to fit inside the bolster will also keep them very warm. Allllso, if the noise of the tray against the base bothers her (or you) a towel laid between the two fixes that. I'd also probably chuck a blanket in there for digging around. And maybe some unbacked vetbed between base mat and bolster to make it absurdly soft (but I have comfort monsters who are used to living it up, less fussy dogs may not care for that sort of softness).

This was Bosley's original wire crate setup- (It changed depending on what improvements I could buy for it, the final product is still set up out in the sunroom if you want a look for ideas)

post-19844-0-39829500-1481429437_thumb.jpg

You guys were right about the bed, picked one up $40 on impulse (christmas sales!) and it looks much smaller now. Assuming in the future it will have a water bowl and a solar powered fan for summer, I can see all that space going!

I've come inside and she's fast asleep in it :o could she be any more perfect?

15439964_10157737439550161_497125479681481752_n.jpg?oh=40943acf19a46b6d7982b839bc9a633d&oe=58F81DFF&__gda__=1488293224_81157bc2ab7c1c68b2e9214247258c5f

Hoping you're having some luck scrappi? I'm sure if keep stalking gumtree one will surprise you!

Aww Thistle looks so comfy! :-) Might have another look otherwise we won't bother for a while.

Another crate question...

For the cover, was leaning to the vebo ones that kind of look like my camping tent (lol) but perhaps might be better to get a silver shade one? Thoughts? They'll both obscure her from view but I'm also thinking harder to keep a dog cool than warm?

Also i'm doing a k9pro order soon anyway...

would silver shade ones keep the water off if it should happen to drizzle? Obviously noseworks wouldn't go ahead in a downpour and I can't think of any other reason I'd have Thistle crated outside of my home.

this is it:

http://k9pro.com.au/silver-shade-mesh-tarp/

PS she been chilling in it, now only keep the one door open. Been leaving the manners minder on over it