Crates- Where To Buy Cheap

Scrappi&Monty

we got our crates from Realsmart.com.au - perhaps just compare websites and see which offer the best prices as our crate looks like the vebo ones and realsmart also has puppy play pens of different heights too

Oh ok so realsmart is pretty good? I was going to buy from them but was a little apprehensive because so many people had bad experiences with them. As well as a lot of perfectly fine ones. Is yours easily bent or rusty or anything? Thanks rubiton :)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vebo!!

Otherwise you may find a good quality used crate on Gumtree. People buy them for flights or toilet training then sell them on. When you start researching crates you learn which brand is which and those that haven't been rated very highly, at least by DOLers, and can pick them out online. :grimace:

thats the best way, but I was dropping off a pup and was so impressed by the crate they put him in I bought one. then thought, hey I need 2

so chuffed. received this today, this is why so many prefer to breed or buy their own instead of a rescue. time will tell how long before freedom of choice no longer survives in the nanny states of australia now.

"Hello

This is Jodie from Mount Gambier SA I purchased a Blue bitch pup off you a couple of years ago and had her flown to Adelaide her registed name is " Callie" out of Princess by Lightning (we call her Ellie)

Just thought I would just let you know she is going GREAT I couldn't be happier with her, a lot of people call her small or think she is still a puppy but I think she is the perfect size and has a perfect temperament she is a fine example of how great the breed is and we are turning heeler haters around where ever we go the usual comment I get is "I don't like heelers but I do love yours she is beautiful" half the time it feels like I am defending the entire breed because someone had a bad run in with a heeler and now don't like or trust heelers even when their owner is standing their with them on a lead??

We have been attending Obedience classes since June as I wanted a bit of me time away from the kids and I LOVE it we have moved up 2 classes already and are now in grade 2. I remember our first club competition to see if we would pass to go up to the next grade I still wasn't sure how it all worked anyway we entered and Ellie had be playing up a bit that day not behaving as she usually did in training/class, anyway I told the judge on the way in she's being a bitch but we will see how we go, and well we came out with a score of 195 out of 200 and took out first place won a ribbon and all I was so excited to show my husband when I got home, we are now into our 3rd week of Agility training and she is doing great as well, at home she climbs the ladder up into the kids cubby house which is quite high but she taught herself that just by following the kids up and down. "

Um yeah asal, I just read through my original post and seriously don't understand how the rude comment about rescuing fits in. I don't really care about such and such's brilliant heeler... I wanted to know what crates people liked for a lower price. Yes my dogs are both rescues, as that is our family's choice. I was nearly going to buy a purebred Shetland sheepdog or Papillon, but then we met our rescue pup that we have now. In my opinion there should be that choice to get either a rescue or a pedigree if you wish. I love both!! Yes rescues sometimes have behavioural problems, but if you aren't up for the task then don't get one! Sorry but I don't really like someone being nasty when I was asking a completely unrelated question...

it was in my head as I had just been reading that 20 pages of the

http://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/ima...ember_2016.pdf

and Pulford couldn't seem to see if pet shops are so unsuitable for puppies from a breeder, how on earth are they suitable for rescues, they are dogs as well too, last I looked.

it wasn't meant as a dig actually, well not at the dogs, but the stupidity of Pulford who I just cant believe has the Agriculture portfolio. But I see now that's how it came out. then to receive that totally unexpected email made me realise why Ive stuck it out now that to breed your own is to be perceived to be no better than being a prostitute these days. have a bad habit of writing what im thinking.

I tend to like the plastic crates because, no rust and as I mostly transport puppies in a crate, the adults share a seat and seatbelt. Puppies can throw up when you least expect it or decide they just HAVE to go and the sight of a doo, even worse a sloppy doo shooting (travelling seems to upset some just like kids) out the side of a wire crate onto the seat or seat or boot cover takes my mind totally off driving and the urge to clean up is too distracting if in traffic and cant pull over

Ok then. Maybe next time re-read what you are saying and make sure it's at least somewhat relevant to the topic please. Not a good idea to go offending people on a completely unrelated thread. If it was about rescue vs breeding, then I'd maybe consider your opinion, but we weren't talking about that. Cheers.

Vebo - and a good crate is a lifelong investment. Ours has also housed a sick little rescue dog for weeks, our cat when we moved house, a random found kitten, a found rabbit (again for a few weeks, outside) and with a bit of extra wiring kept some visiting guinea pigs safe overnight.

Launching off this, when buying a crate online how do you know you're getting the "right size" for your dog? We have been measuring in person (putting her in crates in stores lol) and comparing prices - I am not sure if should go more space is better, or just enough to sit, stand, turn around and not have her head hitting the roof? Tossing up between 36" and 42"

It would be a wire crate for packing her away at noseworks and tracking.

I am worried about getting the "wrong size" :/

Edited by Thistle the dog

Launching off this, when buying a crate online how do you know you're getting the "right size" for your dog? We have been measuring in person (putting her in crates in stores lol) and comparing prices - I am not sure if should go more space is better, or just enough to sit, stand, turn around and not have her head hitting the roof? Tossing up between 36" and 42"

I used this website: http://www.petspantry.com.au/size-chart-pp-iata-airline-approved-pet-carriers

For measuring, that is. I bought the actual crates elsewhere.

Edited by Papillon Kisses

How big is Thistle compared to a greyhound? I've always used 48" crates for my greyhounds and found that size to be reasonable for most of them. The Shitty Whippet has a 36" crate and she's an 11kg whippet, so I'd think that size crate would be way too small for Thistle (judging just from how big she looks in photos, anyway).

How big is Thistle compared to a greyhound? I've always used 48" crates for my greyhounds and found that size to be reasonable for most of them. The Shitty Whippet has a 36" crate and she's an 11kg whippet, so I'd think that size crate would be way too small for Thistle (judging just from how big she looks in photos, anyway).

Shes a little bit shorter and not quite as long but could probably pass as a small knock off greyhound ????

PK I had not thought about laying on side... thank you for the link. Having never owned a crate before it is hard to picture what we will need ????

Shes a little bit shorter and not quite as long but could probably pass as a small knock off greyhound ????

PK I had not thought about laying on side... thank you for the link. Having never owned a crate before it is hard to picture what we will need ????

For that sort of size, I think you'd probably need at least a 42". A tight fit is usually recommended for puppies to discourage them for toileting in the crate but for an adult, no reason she can't have a bit of room to stretch out. Other thing is, if you get a decent size crate that she can comfortably sleep in, it can be used as a hidey spot/bed for home use.

we got our crates from Realsmart.com.au - perhaps just compare websites and see which offer the best prices as our crate looks like the vebo ones and realsmart also has puppy play pens of different heights too

Oh ok so realsmart is pretty good? I was going to buy from them but was a little apprehensive because so many people had bad experiences with them. As well as a lot of perfectly fine ones. Is yours easily bent or rusty or anything? Thanks rubiton :)

No - both the puppy play pens and the crate exactly as in the photos on the site. Ordered on Monday nights and arrived Friday in SA

Re-read your post. Having a hidey spot/bed in the home as Maddy puts it would be a great thing for Thistle when guests come over. She can take herself off when she needs/wants a break. So yeah I'd go larger. Give her room to stretch out.

And a nice crate cover :D

You can get some incredibly pretty ones on Etsy these days :provoke: Although for travel, I'd also get a cheap oxford/waterproof one to keep other dogs from eyeballing her while she's crated- most of those covers come with velcro windows now so you can pick which bits of the cover are open.

Re-read your post. Having a hidey spot/bed in the home as Maddy puts it would be a great thing for Thistle when guests come over. She can take herself off when she needs/wants a break. So yeah I'd go larger. Give her room to stretch out.

You can get some incredibly pretty ones on Etsy these days :provoke: Although for travel, I'd also get a cheap oxford/waterproof one to keep other dogs from eyeballing her while she's crated- most of those covers come with velcro windows now so you can pick which bits of the cover are open.

Enablers ???? You know my weaknesses

No - both the puppy play pens and the crate exactly as in the photos on the site. Ordered on Monday nights and arrived Friday in SA

Oh that's great! Thanks again. 30" is on special for $35 if I remember correctly so might chance it with that. I found on Gumtree a second hand Vebo crate in perfect nick for $50 (usually around $80-90?) which is only 20 mins away from my cousins house so we can pick it up on the way to theirs at Xmas. I think we're sorted now. Thanks a bunch :)

Enablers ???? You know my weaknesses

Yeah haha. Those pretty crate covers are very tempting... since mine are mainly for Xmas at first I could get a Christmassy tablecloth or something (if it's not too hot) ????

And a pretty one for Scrappi every other day in my room. (At the moment he sleeps under my bed or my desk and goes there when he's worried or tired so a crate would be really good. ????

Wow so hot today, third warehouse was quiet and cool enough to have people help us out. (Have you noticed every single pet warehouse and store keeps their crates above head height? Which means need at least 2 staff members to get it down to try the size? )

This is...I don't know what this is, they called it the 800 series. It is 107 L x 71W x 76H

Looks about right?

14723016_1751756071812863_780431966120968192_n.jpg

(she found the whole thing a bit alarming but really needed to just SEE the space with her in it)

$269 :eek: