Keeping Cars Cool At Trials/shows

Papillon Kisses

Please help!

We are going to a Nosework event on the weekend. Top of 30 for the day and most probably no shade. How do I keep the car and Malcolm cool?

It's a sedan. Malcolm has a car bed and a soft crate. He has a cooling mat I can put in his crate... assuming I can get the crate to fit nicely in the car (will have to check that!). We have a front windscreen shade.

He is a reactive dog so I cannot have all the doors and windows open. I might be able to open some windows if I can cover them in material.

Do I buy shade cloth material and cover/wrap the car?

And refresh my memory but does the cooling mat need a towel underneath to avoid getting things wet? It's been a lifetime since I used it for our Papillon.

Edited by Papillon Kisses

He must be kept in the car in the reactive dog section. It can be open (windows?) so long as he's secured in a crate but I do need to keep both visual and auditory stimuli lower for my anxious one. He does have a calming cap I can put on and calming music I can play.

There are other people who do this quite well especially at Nosework events. Many of the dogs are dog reactive. I'm just wondering what on earth they do.

I've left a message with my Nosework instructor, she has a reactive dog too.

I do agility and I would not keep my dog in the car with no shade on a hot day, even with all windows open etc. Cooler even under a tree, or the shade that the car creates with its shadow if you have no shelter with you. If you had to keep the dog in the car and the day was scheduled to be hot, I would probably just pass.

Have you a gazebo? With no walls you can erect a gazebo and park the car under it for shade. Sandbags instead of tent pegs if it is hard surface.

And a crate fan for the crate, but you may need to acclimatise him to the fan noise if he is very reactive.

I do agility and I would not keep my dog in the car with no shade on a hot day, even with all windows open etc. Cooler even under a tree, or the shade that the car creates with its shadow if you have no shelter with you. If you had to keep the dog in the car and the day was scheduled to be hot, I would probably just pass.

I made shadecloth covers for my metal crates, or you can buy silver mesh (try and get the more open weave one), I don't like soft crates in the summer....you can rotate a crate to suit the sun if it is out of the of the car....and I don't mean to be hurtful but would Malcolm benefit from a break from the outside world whilst he deals with his social issues?

I am entered in Obedience on Sunday but we won't be going as they forecast 32 deg, last trial of the year, I love going and seeing everyone at Croydon but this year we will give it a miss, dog comes first, bath day instead and they can all drip dry!!! Always next year, it's a long break in Victoria but I think a lot of dogs enjoy the change and come back fresh after the big holiday

Not hurtful at all Dragonwoman. :)

Yes these are things I always keep at the back (or forefront!) of my mind as the owner of an anxious dog. I'm told the event I'm going to is incredibly well-run for reactive (and all) dogs. I'm prepared to call the quits if he's getting stressed or it's too hot. He loves his Nosework, it brings such joy to his life and it's great for his anxiety, but if the situation around it becomes too stressful or the car isn't cool enough I'll put his health first and go home. :)

We went to a Nosework event last week and he was great in the car for a couple of hours before it all got too much. We'll play it by ear. But I'd like to set him up for success by getting all the car stuff sorted.

I'm not sure of the shade situation at the event. Trying to get more details. It's at the Castle Hill show grounds if anyone's been? Federation building. Afternoon arrival for us at least!

Thank you for your help, and RuralPug and Kavik too.

Not hurtful at all Dragonwoman. :)

Yes these are things I always keep at the back (or forefront!) of my mind as the owner of an anxious dog. I'm told the event I'm going to is incredibly well-run for reactive (and all) dogs. I'm prepared to call the quits if he's getting stressed or it's too hot. He loves his Nosework, it brings such joy to his life and it's great for his anxiety, but if the situation around it becomes too stressful or the car isn't cool enough I'll put his health first and go home. :)

We went to a Nosework event last week and he was great in the car for a couple of hours before it all got too much. We'll play it by ear. But I'd like to set him up for success by getting all the car stuff sorted.

I'm not sure of the shade situation at the event. Trying to get more details. It's at the Castle Hill show grounds if anyone's been? Federation building. Afternoon arrival for us at least!

Thank you for your help, and RuralPug and Kavik too.

PK that's where I train in nosework. Glad I gave the sniff and go a miss as there's hardly any shade and it's going to be a scorcher of a day...

Castle Hill Showground is my homeground training ground for agility :) Not sure which is the Federation Building, think it is a different grounds to where I do agility.

The area where I do agility has an undercover section with currogated iron roof. That is where I sit for our trials, but it can still get quite hot under there. Other people bring gazebos but I don't have one. I'm not sure if there is shelter at the Federation Building section