Training Recommendations In Se Melbourne

mowgliandme

Peeing and scratching to let your dog friends know you've been by - is not the same as dominance.

I did observe my dog check a p-mail that was quite high up a post, and then elect not to pee there - like she wanted to keep her presence unadvertised. That was interesting. Must have been a very big scary dog.

Most of the time she adds her message.

dog trainers around melbourne - I agree with PM TSD.

Meanwhile you might find this helpful. It's a podcast you can download and listen to - I usually load them up on an mp3 player or my phone.

Tim Ferris interviews Susan Garrett on dog training...

2hours and 4 minutes jam packed with dog training for an awesome family pet

includes descriptions of its yer choice, restrained recall, call once game, collar grab, how to potty train and more.

Most of all it covers why you use reward based training (faster and better bond) and why you don't use punishment (fallout).

http://fourhourworkweek.com/2016/11/14/susan-garrett/

True - ususally many reasons why dogs do things - wish we could just ask them! :)

Ooh love Susan Garrett - hadnt seen that one before

I should probably clarify that i'm not after training consultations or even a few weeks obedience course at this stage - she is perfectly behaved in 99% of situations :)

I'm after a sort of weekly or ongoing type obedience class that i can use for distraction work with lots of dogs around on leash ideally outdoors in a park - i train with her a lot so she's got the basics down quite well (sits/downs/loose leash walking/recalls/settles on mats etc) and we do a lots of tricks and are able to work in most settings - the hardest setting so far being when we are moving around in obedience classes in parks :)

Peeing and scratching to let your dog friends know you've been by - is not the same as dominance.

I did observe my dog check a p-mail that was quite high up a post, and then elect not to pee there - like she wanted to keep her presence unadvertised. That was interesting. Must have been a very big scary dog.

Most of the time she adds her message.

dog trainers around melbourne - I agree with PM TSD.

Meanwhile you might find this helpful. It's a podcast you can download and listen to - I usually load them up on an mp3 player or my phone.

Tim Ferris interviews Susan Garrett on dog training...

2hours and 4 minutes jam packed with dog training for an awesome family pet

includes descriptions of its yer choice, restrained recall, call once game, collar grab, how to potty train and more.

Most of all it covers why you use reward based training (faster and better bond) and why you don't use punishment (fallout).

http://fourhourworkweek.com/2016/11/14/susan-garrett/

True - ususally many reasons why dogs do things - wish we could just ask them! :)

Ooh love Susan Garrett - hadnt seen that one before

I should probably clarify that i'm not after training consultations or even a few weeks obedience course at this stage - she is perfectly behaved in 99% of situations :)

I'm after a sort of weekly or ongoing type obedience class that i can use for distraction work with lots of dogs around on leash ideally outdoors in a park - i train with her a lot so she's got the basics down quite well (sits/downs/loose leash walking/recalls/settles on mats etc) and we do a lots of tricks and are able to work in most settings - the hardest setting so far being when we are moving around in obedience classes in parks :)

Is KCC park anywhere near you? That's a bit south of Frankston if I remember right. There's often something going on there with lots of dogs on lead.

But a lot of obedience and agility classes shut down over summer ie from December through Feb cos it gets too hot to train - too many days get cancelled to make it worth while trying. Ours have all finished in SA. Tho I think there's New Years at Gawler. That sometimes gets way too hot.

for now - the dogs are in numbers at the beach - but mostly off lead which can be exciting - depending which beach you are at.

To up your distractions where you can't find other dogs, you can try moving things at home - like tethered balloons or bowls of fave food, or you doing weird things during a stay, or playing music ... (can you get a finish when you're sitting in a chair? on the ground?...)

Did the spotted dog provide you with some trainers or classes?

Is KCC park anywhere near you? That's a bit south of Frankston if I remember right. There's often something going on there with lots of dogs on lead.

But a lot of obedience and agility classes shut down over summer ie from December through Feb cos it gets too hot to train - too many days get cancelled to make it worth while trying. Ours have all finished in SA. Tho I think there's New Years at Gawler. That sometimes gets way too hot.

for now - the dogs are in numbers at the beach - but mostly off lead which can be exciting - depending which beach you are at.

To up your distractions where you can't find other dogs, you can try moving things at home - like tethered balloons or bowls of fave food, or you doing weird things during a stay, or playing music ... (can you get a finish when you're sitting in a chair? on the ground?...)

Its about 30minutes away but happy to travel for distraction work etc :)

is that on a specific day of the week? and are non-event people allowed?

Shes pretty good with all the distractions at home - she's very into fetching the ball but will wait until released if i ask her to sit/down and then throw it etc

I have done lots of jumping around/crazy movements/thrown food or toys etc

But we haven't really started working on distance work yet though so i cant get her to go from sit to a down from more than 1.5 metres away at this stage

I also havent played music or doorbell noises though so will try that too :)

I have PM'd TSD but not sure if she has received it

Edited by mowgliandme

Have you gone to the botanic gardens? Only been twice with dog myself and each time there's been a nice scattering of different dogs. Some good, some bad and nearly all on lead.

Also provides lots of distractions like bikes, prams, tour busses, kids, walking groups, bbqs etc. and many many smells according to T ????

Maybe you could join us! She needs practice ignoring puppies, especially fluffy ones!

Edited by Thistle the dog

OP there are usually people who train up at KCC Park during the week informally. Usually just small groups of friends who go up and train their dogs together. Most days there are members up training but you need dogs vic membership to be covered by insurance as it is private property. This is being clamped down on now after a number of non members and their dogs have caused problems or have been abusive or just have blatantly ignored the sign posted rules. Sure no one would have any problems with you training your dog but just be aware. :thumbsup:

Ive been there once but she was only 4.5 months so with the train ride and short walk there she was too tired and had to be carried around for much of it :p I'm not even sure we got all the way to the botanical gardens...probably just the Alexandra gardens actually!

(I am trying to keep exercise sort of as per the puppy culture recommendations... and she is also a pretty low energy puppy most of the time apart from the few minutes of zoomies a day and the excitement of new meeting people)

We would love to join you if Thistle wants ignoring fluffy puppies practice :) will send you a PM when i get home!

OP there are usually people who train up at KCC Park during the week informally. Usually just small groups of friends who go up and train their dogs together. Most days there are members up training but you need dogs vic membership to be covered by insurance as it is private property. This is being clamped down on now after a number of non members and their dogs have caused problems or have been abusive or just have blatantly ignored the sign posted rules. Sure no one would have any problems with you training your dog but just be aware. :thumbsup:

Awesome i was actually just about to sign up for Dogs Vic membership anyways as i wanted to use the library :)

There is an agility club called k9 agility which has quite a few Susan Garrett fans (and at least one Say Yes instructor - Katie K on their contacts page). I think there is a wait list for actually joining and participating and they've probably stopped over summer...

I would put me down on the wait list (if I lived in Vic on that side of the bay), and I would show up on their training nights for over there to the side distraction training. And try to make friends and get advice on the foundation stuff (well behaved healthy and strong puppy).

I would also email Katie and ask her to recommend (or be) a trainer for you. There are at least 30 Victorians I know of that are signed up with Susan Garrett's Handling 360 course and that's all about positive training (tho some of the newbies might still be adjusting). Katie should be able to help.

http://k9agility.org.au/Home.html

Its about 30minutes away but happy to travel for distraction work etc :)

is that on a specific day of the week? and are non-event people allowed?

Shes pretty good with all the distractions at home - she's very into fetching the ball but will wait until released if i ask her to sit/down and then throw it etc

I have done lots of jumping around/crazy movements/thrown food or toys etc

But we haven't really started working on distance work yet though so i cant get her to go from sit to a down from more than 1.5 metres away at this stage

I also havent played music or doorbell noises though so will try that too :)

I have PM'd TSD but not sure if she has received it

Sorry! Had a crazy week. Will reply as soon as I can. My apologies!