Nz Import Question

yarrr

Hi everyone!

I am importing a puppy from New Zealand and would like some advice on whether or not its worthwhile to use a customs broker.

Purchase price for the pup is $1000NZD or $950AUD

I am not a breeder and have no commercial intent but she is young and obviously not going to be desexed yet.

Edited by yarrr

I am also importing a pup from NZ next month (all going well!) and the breeder has recommended a broker for us to use. Yes you will need to pay GST on puppy price and transport costs.

Is that because the animal is for breeding purposes or the value of the dog is over $1000?

I haven't had a chance to call customs yet but I did manage to sneak in some more reading today

My interpretation is now that GST is not due when the value of the dog is under $1000

However in order to lodge a SAC declaration I will have to pay a customs broker or get my own digital certificate

https://www.border.gov.au/Factsheets/Documents/importinganimals.pdf

https://www.border.gov.au/Importingorbuyingfromoverseas/Documents/self-assessedclearancesacdeclarations.pdf

No, I don't intend to breed and value of dog is not over $1000

I was told GST needed to be paid on price of pup and price of transport.

Hmmm we are flying some siblings together and one of the other pups is valued over $1000, maybe that is why we have been told GST needs to be paid

Edited by Kavik

I think unofficially it depends on the mood of who ever is processing. I paid more for Scottie than I was anticipating (Senior and desexed, not registered as a pedigree) ... Can't remember for sure if we paid GST but I'd always budget for it if I ever did it again.

Edited by Scottsmum

Some of the emails I got were really confusing.

Under $1000

SAC Declaration required

No GST or duty

$115 per submission from a customs broker or $209 to register for a 2 year digital certificate so you can diy

Over $1000

Import form required (can diy)

GST + duty on purchase cost plus transport costs

The tricky thing with us is that we are bringing over a few pups from the same litter. As they are coming together it sounds like we have to combine their price which will then be over $1000 and pay the GST?

I've imported quite a few times from NZ and also USA but never needed or engaged a broker.

Maybe things have changed but if it was me I would be phoning as many animal transport companies as I could find and talk to them all about your needs.

By the end of all those phonecalls you would absolutely know what the best way to do things would be.

You can only be guided by those who do this on a regular basis so my advice would be to find an animal transport company that you like and be guided by them. After all they should be the experts and part of the reason you are hiring them is to guide you through the sometimes difficult process of importing a dog.

If you re doing it yourself, just make sure that you set aside a day to spend at the airport, trailing round from department to department collecting departmental "stamps", talking to lots of people, waiting in queues etc etc getting hungrier and hungrier and more frustrated and (most important) keep every piece of paper you collect on the way. I like to take friend so that at least I have someone to talk to!

I brought on three from the same litter - not all for me - and eventually paid GST on just one of them but it was a lengthy process.

Edited by JRG

Is there a reason you are not going with an animal transport company who will do all this for you?

Everyone that I spoke to would handle everything except for arrival in Aus

Everythings organised now.

My 'partners' christmas present will be arriving first week of the new year ????

We recently imported our girl from NZ. I rang the broker to get a quote and he told me I didn't need him. I didn't. It was quite simple. I didn't pay import tax. If she were for breeding I would have had to. Apparently, Melbourne airport has streamlined its processes because it has become the new animal handling centre and all imports come through there. You have to use an animal transport company, but basically the only thing they did was arrange the flight and make sure the crate was ok (my breeder supplied one anyway). Freight handling and quarantine took so long! I was waiting for about 3 hours after her flight landed.