Dog Breed Selectors

cannibalgoldfish

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Iams quiz is the best dog breed selector I've seen!

I got:

Lagotto Romagnolo (84%)

Australian Shepherd (83%)

Portuguese Water Dog (83%)

Bearded Collie (79%)

Standard Poodle (73%)

Pumi (72%)

So my two chosen breeds (Aussies and Std Poodles) are on that list!

I admit I only googled it but I think it's interesting.

I assumed the Purina one would be the same but it's very different.

https://www.purina.com/dogs/dog-breeds/dog-breed-selector

Still better than the Pedigree one.

My results for the Purina one were..

1. Greyhound - I guess I could have a few more :shrug:

2. Mastiff - No way, ever. I'm definitely not a molosser person. They're too heavy, they are the polar opposite of the type I like and I can't stand dog drool. Every mastiff I've ever met has had one of those gross drool stringers hanging out the corner of its mouth and I live in terror of ever getting one of those things on me.

3. Clumber spaniel - Just looking at clumbers makes me sad. To save offending any clumber fans, I'll just leave it at that.

4. Ibizan hound - Love the way they look but apparently they're fence jumpers. If it weren't for that, they'd probably be on my "one day" list.

5. Weimaraner - I have to agree with Thistle, their eyes are creepy.

Bedlington second on the list for Bedlington Bob, nothing else appealed.

Would consider Kerry Blue, Irish, Airedale or perhaps even Lakeland terriers, (Lakies just on the list as I saw some absolute crackers at Perth Royal this year).

Others I would consider would be the Pumi and Miniature Schnauzer or Schnauzer.

Cheers,

There's no point doing them for me (although I know it's only for fun!!) because I don't have preferences for things like size, coat type, grooming and exercise requirements (well I don't want super super high energy). I feel like if I want a particular breed I'll make the other things work. I suppose temperament is the main thing I look for...but right now I really don't want another dog (3 plus long term foster plus random other fosters) is plenty so I'd just want to be like "No" to all the questions :laugh:

Did the pedigree one, with what I would describe thistle. It suggested a British bulldog?!? Urgh! Also suggested a labrador which I am quite partial to the working lines and wouldn't rule out.

The purina one suggested borzoi and corgis. Neither are breeds that appeal to me. Also the clumber spaniel is back for me, where is my "no excessive skin or smooshed face" option? I'd think many people decisions equally guided by what do not like!

Like that iams one so much more than the rest.

I actually found my perfect breed in one of the online breed selectors. Can't remember which website it was, but I'd never heard of a Field Spaniel before and now we have one she is just perfect. I researched the breed for a good 18 months before committing, went to shows, met breeders, so I think as long as you use it as a starting point and go from there, some are helpful. You have to be very honest about what you want and how much you are going to put into your dog, and be prepared to consider the top 5 recommendations.