Male Uti - Bladder Stones Update

Lisey

So I'm still waiting back to hear what type, etc. but I knew it would take a little. Think I need to book him back in for checkup though.

He seems totally fine, blood all gone and peeing ok, but just today I've noticed a lump where the incision was (but it's not swollen skin, if that makes sense). And it's only when he lies on his back, it pokes out. When he is standing I can't feel/see anything but it doesn't look right.

I've taken a photo to show the vet. I'll call and book him in tomorrow

Edited to add - it's not his 'excited' lumps either, a bit further up......

A vet check is a good plan ..(at the vet's I worked for we always had a (free) post op check after 3/4 days just to make sure everything was ok) After surgery there is often some swelling .. scar tissue/reaction to stitches ...if it is very soft ..it may be a fluid lump .if it feels harder ...it's probably the body's reaction/objection to being cut open, stitched back together ;)

• 5 weeks later...

So a further update to this.

We have heard back that they were cystine stones, which are quite rare. 

Ive been told that I can now only feed him the Hills Prescription UD for the rest of his life. He is only 4!! 

Has as anyone ever dealt with these type of stones before and have any advice. 

Are there any any alternatives to Hills? 

I have never had direct dealings with a dog suffering this type of stone. Predilection to this is believed to be hereditary.You certainly will need to monitor his diet for the rest of his life, unless you want to try surgery to redirect the urine release away from the penis into a new, created opening which can safely pass bladder stones even of the largest size.  Mastiffs I believe are prone to this condition and you may be able to source a home made cystine precention diet from Mastiff groups. There is no other commercially produces alternative that I am aware of.

The Hills UD diet is low purine. low protein and there seems to be strongly differing schools of thought in veterinary research circles whether or not diet can assist in the future prevention of cystine stones, as they are not directly caused by bacteria in the bladder but by a congential defect in the kidneys which does not process the amino acid cyestine correctly. Ph of the bladder needs to be kept very alkaline to prevent cystine stones, so alkaline in fact that it may encourage the development of different types of bladder stones. :(

Here are a couple of references that you might like to check out:

What are cystine bladder stones?

Canine Csyturia Email Group

Would it be worth trying cranberry tablets?My girl had high PH level in her urine with struvite stones.

Put her on the tablets and didn't ever have another problem. The composition of the stones is different but may be worth some research

10 hours ago, CavsRcute said:

Would it be worth trying cranberry tablets?My girl had high PH level in her urine with struvite stones.

Put her on the tablets and didn't ever have another problem. The composition of the stones is different but may be worth some research

Unfortunately cranberry is contraindicated for cystine stones. :(

It is excellent for struvite stone prevention as it acidifies the bladder.