Desex

moosmum

Another over bite here.

Pup will be desexed , but after opinions on age here because I want to give over bite best chance of self correcting as much as as its going to. Will desex at 6 months affect that, or would a delay be better?

This pup has a job, displays very good drives for it, and I though I'm prepared for less intensity I rarely neuter a working dog so unsure if 6 month neuter will ruin his drive or it should be allowed to develop more 1st.( vermin alert/control)

I am prepared and experienced at management, but this pup is showing signs of being an over sexed humper!

So opinions please- 6 month desex or delay to 18 months?

Early desexing I have found does not allow a puppy to mature too their full potential, I would not be desexing a dog the size of a Labrador until 12-18 months, in your puppy's case the head would develop more if you leave it until later and most probably give the mouth more chance.

Even with my breed my puppies go on a desexing contract to be done once they have turned 12 month, I sold a puppy years ago and his owner had him done at six months, he came back for a holiday about 12 months later and he never did develop properly, who looked more like a bitch, sad.

Thanks for the reply. :( :laugh:

He is a Tenterfield if that makes any difference? Over bite isn't terrible, but any improvement possible I will encourage.

Bigger dogs I am more familiar with growth, and never needed to deal with an over sexed one! I haven't had such a small breed from puppy hood, any other small dog I've had has been a rehome.

Happy to delay if its still for the best in such a small breed.

Edited by moosmum

Sorry, getting threads mixed, even so with your little one I still would not get him done until 12 months, give him the chance to develop into the amazing little boy I am sure he is going to be.

As for the problem you have with him, be assured it is not an unusual thing in male puppies, they do grow out of it, just try and keep him occupied with toys and games, it will all come together believe me it will, been there too and done that :laugh:

Is there an absolute need for him to be desexed at all? Not all males get the urge to wander and find the source of female smells...

I'd hold off on desexing as long as is manageable (on the off chance he does want to wander when older).

T.

If theres a good chance his sex drive will moderate, I am happy to keep him entire. None of my 'big' boys have been neutered and it has not been a problem so might wait and see how it plays out.

The girls are pretty good at putting him in his place, The smallest and oldest needs back up now and again.

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

I can always change my mind or do it later...council Rego due next month and with his enthusiasm, I thought it was worth considering IF it wouldn't cause probs. so its good to know it might sort itself.

Keeping him busy is easy, keeping myself from being just as busy running after him is harder

He Is shaping up nicely but hes like a cat in where he can get to! A 'high drive toddler' and him together has me spinning in circles :laugh:

Edited by moosmum

In this case, I'm pretty sure its sexual.

He is not bored with over an acre and a half to run with at least one VERY active playmate/teacher besides the old girl, horses and chooks, kids AND his toys when he must stay inside.

The last thing I needed was a 2nd puppyhood in my 10 ( 11!?) yr old, shes as bad if not worse than he is all over again. Lots of time outs for the pair once she starts carrying him 'round by the collar or has him bolting from one hole to another 'round and 'round the house.

I gave him my bed spread after he ruined it, left it on the bed for now. At least it might save the 2nd layer. :confused: He tunnels under besides adding to the fluff to picked up :laugh:

He may be asserting some dominance with the old girl , I will keep an eye on that, and try some more formal training.

Edited by moosmum

Will def. give that more work than I have been.

From being able to discuss this, I'm thinking maybe Over stimulation could be be part of the problem? And he does seem better the last few days, so touch wood, we can get past this with out drastic measures.