Humping Posture In 10Week Old Rotti.

Paul777

I was told years ago that its harder to find a bitch that will defend ( other than their young). But when they do, they are often the best. Don't know if thats right, or not. Makes sense tho'.

Same as Tdierikx's Uuuhh! with variations. For realy persistent bitey pups, I might give them more of my limb than they wanted so they gag it out.

I like very confident dogs. If its realy persistent and pushing the boundaries, a loud and sharp growl as I swing to eye them. Worst case, grabbing the scruff same time. Not hard, just holding firm til the pup lets go of its arousal, and me. I like very confident dogs, and watch my bitch train some pretty testing pups. She makes it simple and clear.

We play rough and I know she has great judgement and control, she got the same until she did (plus game ends) if teeth meet flesh.

Edited by moosmum

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the tips Persephone & Simply Grand

I'll see if my pet food shop has "lamb puffs" (never heard of them before) & "goodos" are in the supermarket I think.

Zagans a little guts & eats everything that I put in front of him.

I like giving cheese to pups for the calcium (learnt that from Great Dane breeders in my youth)

When I first got Zagan, it seemed that he didn't tolerate cheese (only gave him little bits) & like all of my dogs, he loved it.

Is it worth trying very small amounts now that he's a month older?

Someone mentioned goats cheese might be more easily tolerated. I think it's because it's lower in lactose if memory serves.

Edited by Paul777

Moosmum

I don't think that the little terror is any worse than the average pup. It's just that his teeth are so sharp.

And yes, I really like a confident dog. IMO, a confident dog is less likely to make a bad decision.

My last Rotti was very confident & very level headed (unless I was in public & someone dared to walk too close to me)

Yes, the stare down, lol. It's hard not to laugh at times, like when he goes to attack my shoe (while I'm wearing it off-course) When we lock eyes he'll freeze mid action, with mouth open, deciding what he should do next, hahaha.

Thanks for sharing.

Lamb puffs are dried lamb lung... and most dogs love them to bits. I always have some on hand when I'm at work for the more timid dogs so we can make friends...

As for extra calcium, be careful you don't overdo it... if Zagan is getting a balanced diet, then he doesn't need extra calcium... and dogs are notoriously lactose intolerant. If you must use cheese, definitely go for goat or other low/no lactose products.

T.

Thanks T.

Dried lamb lung, yum yum, lol. Well I guess if he loves the taste of cat poo, dll should be simply delicious.

Extra calcium - So even a large breed gets sufficient calcium from their diet? That's good to know.

Zagan is fed 3 times daily - 3-4 chicken necks, approx mug full of beef mince & a good handful of grain free kibble every feed. And he still looks up for more once finished, the little guts.

Was going to report that Zagan had been so good over the last few days, licking my hand & arm before nibbling gently.

Then in a fit of over-excitement, he sunk his teeth into my arm yesterday, drawing blood. I pinned him down while growling until he relaxed & then ignored him for several minutes.

He has improved quite a bit, none-the-less.

Thanks T.

Dried lamb lung, yum yum, lol. Well I guess if he loves the taste of cat poo, dll should be simply delicious.

Extra calcium - So even a large breed gets sufficient calcium from their diet? That's good to know.

Zagan is fed 3 times daily - 3-4 chicken necks, approx mug full of beef mince & a good handful of grain free kibble every feed. And he still looks up for more once finished, the little guts.

Sounds pretty good to me... shouldn't need extra calcium input.

You don't want to grow him too fast either. Check out http://www.greatdanerescue.com.au/Docs/diet_section.pdf - written by one of our very own DOLers... it will explain a bit about growning giant/large breeds, and where caution needs to be exercised.

T.

Thanks T.

Sounds pretty good to me... shouldn't need extra calcium input.

You don't want to grow him too fast either. Check out http://www.greatdanerescue.com.au/Docs/diet_section.pdf - written by one of our very own DOLers... it will explain a bit about growning giant/large breeds, and where caution needs to be exercised.

T.

That's a very informative link, thanks T.

Zagan had his booster vaccine yesterday & the vet said that he was 1/2 a kilo too heavy - he's more than doubled his weight in just 4 weeks. 12.5 kilo - but he didn't say why.

I had no idea that excessive weight as a pup can often be the cause of joint issues in large breeds later on :eek: Now I know :)

I would've thought that it was something that the breeders were aware. Sent them a pic of Z yesterday & they said he looked great.

Lying down he looks all belly but standing he looks quite stout & well proportioned.

Edited by Paul777

• 2 weeks later...

I can finally pat Zagan without getting bitten, although he does sometimes lick & slobber all over my hand & arm instead.

Who was it who said a pup will stop biting "When they learn not to."? Exactly. He's learnt.

The other day I was re-potting plants & Zagan decided to 'help'. Although he has 3 soft plastic pots to play with, he preferred my pots.

The louder I said "leave it" the more berserk he became, he just wouldn't listen.

I grabbed him by the scruff (Rotti pups have heaps of loose skin, very handy) roaring in my growly voice & pinned him on his side until he relaxed.

When I let him go he jumped up & got stuck back into the pots like a hoodlum, so I pinned him again until he relaxed & averted his eyes.

Then he got up, came & lay beside me, observing my activity with interest like a perfect little pup, as happy as Larry, as if nothing had just happened.

Now if that's not dominant behaviour (or an attempt to train me to put up with his hooliganism) I don't know what is, lol.

Not that I'm complaining, I do love a dog with spirit :  )

I'm a bit concerned about the right amount to feed Zagan. He's had/having a growth spurt & is ravenous.

Although the vet said he was 0.5kg overweight (12.5kg) at 12 weeks, he's grown heaps in just 2 weeks.

On one hand I have to ensure that he's not eating too much so that he doesn't grow too fast & at the same time ensure that he's getting enough.

A week ago a half a chicken carcass for breakfast & the other half for dinner for e.g., with 3/4 cup of kibble during the day for training, kept him reasonably happy.

Now he's just ravenous at mealtime & I have had to add 6 chicken necks or cup of mince at the last few evening meals

When I stroke his back I can feel his hip bones. Is that normal for a large breed 14 week old pup? A photo sent to the breeder said that he looked 'beautiful'.

Can you see his hip bones when he's standing normally? If so, feed a bit more... if not, you are doing fine... *grin*

Pups can go through spurts of not being able to fill them up one week, and then not wanting much at all for a while... it can be bloody frustrating... lol!

My general rule is that as long as you can't actually see their hips and ribs sticking out when they are in a standard standing pose, then they should be fine... pups can carry a little extra weight, but you wouldn't want too much extra on a large breed growing pup - just to make sure he has the right start for his primary joints.

T.

4 hours ago, tdierikx said:

Can you see his hip bones when he's standing normally? If so, feed a bit more... if not, you are doing fine... *grin*

Pups can go through spurts of not being able to fill them up one week, and then not wanting much at all for a while... it can be bloody frustrating... lol!

My general rule is that as long as you can't actually see their hips and ribs sticking out when they are in a standard standing pose, then they should be fine... pups can carry a little extra weight, but you wouldn't want too much extra on a large breed growing pup - just to make sure he has the right start for his primary joints.

T.

Thanks. It is frustrating & not a little upsetting because it makes me feel like I'm not taking proper care off him. 

No, it wasn't really noticeable but could clearly feel it when stroked. And no, his ribs aren't showing (why I thought he was doing ok)

Right, so when he's obviously going through a growth spurt & extra ravenous, I should just do the same & give him extra?

Funny thing is, checking him tonight at dinner it feels less prominent, there's a bit of a layer of meat/fat over his bones already in just 3 days of extra food.

I can't believe just how fast he's growing.

"to make sure he has the right start for his primary joints" yes, someone* gave me a link that explained it very well. I had no idea & only recently learnt that I also have to be careful not to over-exercise. The breeders are lovely people but I would've thought that both was vital info for a new Rotti pup owner.

Just re-read the past posts & it was YOU who gave me the link on growth, lol. Thanks again.

Edited by Paul777

From the photos you've posted in another thread, Zagan looks like he's doing just fine... just keep feeling him over when he's going through his spurts and feed accordingly. If he's gained enough coverage in a couple of days, then ease back on too much extra, as we don't want to overdo it either... *grin*

There's no formula as to how much to feed really... so the best way to judge is by feeling/looking and going by overall condition of each individual pup. You are doing great...

T.

4 hours ago, tdierikx said:

From the photos you've posted in another thread, Zagan looks like he's doing just fine... just keep feeling him over when he's going through his spurts and feed accordingly. If he's gained enough coverage in a couple of days, then ease back on too much extra, as we don't want to overdo it either... *grin*

There's no formula as to how much to feed really... so the best way to judge is by feeling/looking and going by overall condition of each individual pup. You are doing great...

T.

Thanks so much for your support T, it's much appreciated & helps to set my mind at ease :  )

I'm surprised the vet was concerned about half a kilo on a 12.5 kg puppy. You certainly don't want large breeds carrying extra weight especially when growing  but that's such a small percentage "over" on a dog his size. Pups and even adult dogs can go up and down in literally a day or two, I wouldn't stress too much. Like TD says, I think you're doing fine.

On 18/01/2017 at 8:49 PM, Simply Grand said:

I'm surprised the vet was concerned about half a kilo on a 12.5 kg puppy. You certainly don't want large breeds carrying extra weight especially when growing  but that's such a small percentage "over" on a dog his size. Pups and even adult dogs can go up and down in literally a day or two, I wouldn't stress too much. Like TD says, I think you're doing fine.

Thank-you SG.

That was exactly my thoughts at the time. As it turns out, when buying some chicken carcasses, I mentioned the 'overweight' remark to another vet. She just laughed & said "Oh he thinks a lot of dogs are overweight. Don't worry, he's growing."

Considering his growth spurt & bony hips I'm glad he was a touch "overweight" (I still don't think that he was)

"Pups ..... can go up & down in literally a day or two." As I'm discovering, lol. Just  a few bigger servings at mealtime put some padding on his hips within 2-3 days, I couldn't believe how quickly he's growing nor how quickly he's gaining weight.

I've been so tired since getting Zagan (not myself without at least 8 1/2 hours sleep) I've assumed that I mustn't have been paying close enough attention.

Before bringing home Zagan, I had no clue that raising a large breed pup could be such a balancing act between not too much food & not enough.

So it's certainly nice to have a few DOLers to help keep my mind at ease with some sensible advice & encouragement :  )

Another vet invited me to bring Zagan in for weighing (scales are in the foyer) anytime & they'll no-doubt cast their 'expert' eye over him.

This is a free service for patients. I'm lucky to have these vets who have the same ideas on diet & vaccinations as myself  (head vet advises a raw diet & against over-vaccination) & they're within walking distance from home.

BATH TIME FREAK-OUT?

Zagans first wash was in my bathtub. Although he wasn't too fond of it, he handled it ok but not me. Bending over the bath or sitting on the edge & twisting as I wash him aggravated my back. It also left my bath rather putrid.

As it was 39*C today, I thought that washing him outside with a hose, would be a straight forward matter. It wasn't. I'm not sure if it was the noise of the spray gun, set on a low flow, that freaked him out but he was tugging on his lead to get away.

Not wanting to traumatise him, I let him go & fetched a bucket of water with a container to rinse of the lathered shampoo. That also upset him.

If he wasn't lathered, I'd have let him dry off & try again another day. So I 1/4 filled the laundry sink & finished rinsing him off there.

The water was cool but not cold.

I can't imagine what I'll do when he's bigger if he's going to react like this. He's a house dog who'll need regular baths, especially since he loves to get grubby.

Any ideas as to why he'd freakout at water?

Any ideas on how to get him used to getting wet?

A sprinkler perhaps?

Try removing the spray gun part and just slowly start wetting from the front feet upwards with the slower flow. Plenty of hands on while wetting down and talk to him... tell him what a good boy he is, and if possible, feed a treat at regular intervals to reinforce this notion.

The lathering up is the easy part... they love the massaging effect... *grin*

Rinsing off - repeat the initial slow wetting stage, and massage/rub while doing so to remove the suds... and keep telling him what a good boy he is throughout.

Slow and steady wins the race...

T.

Definitely slow and steady wins the race.  You can also practice getting them used to the process \ water when you don't actually need to do any washing which saves you from getting stressed too. I had a kids wading pool with floating balls in my pups outside pen from maybe 10 weeks on. It was great for keeping her cool and getting her used to being wet. From eight weeks on I made sure to do one thing each week related to bathing so we went from standing in ankle deep water and treating\praising, to deeper water, to dribbling water over her, to getting completely wet, lathering motions, rinsing and then eventually the real thing. I probably went too slow but I figured there was no need to rush and now she couldn't care less.  A few years on if its bath time, all I have to do is open the shower door and she'll walk straight in with the shower running and be happy to be washed lol.  

The only downfall with bathing her inside is after I've dried her she runs absolutely mental though the house, rubbing on the walls, falling over on the tiles and jumping on the other dog.:laugh: