Selling A Co-Owned Dog

BoldNFearless

I have a dog that is currently co owned that i wish to rehome.

long story but the breeder and i dont get along or talk anymore and ive had heaps of issues with them as they didnt renew their membership the past 2 years and failed to tell me which result in losing all the dogs champ points, not to mention all that entry money, fuel food and travelling interstate.

im lead to beleive in the courts pedigree papers dont stand and being co owners they only co own the papers not the dog. specialy as ive paid for the dog and its upkeep and registrations for 4 years. ... i own the dog.

has anyone sold co owned dogs before and had the breeder attempt to sue ?

end of the day im not sending the dog back to "them" and its going to live with a close by family member

thanks in advance

OK I'll jump in. I think you need some legal advice. While I understand dogs are property under the law, depending whats in the paperwork, co-ownership may be enforceable as its the transfer of the ownership that is important and what the agreement around the co-ownership and the case law actually says.

(And as an aside, these circumstances are precisely why I personally wouldn't get into a 'co-ownership' arrangement - it can get really messy - and for me, you either own the dog or you don't - and I'm not sure that its that clear here).

While the legal advice will likely cost you a few hundred dollars I think its money well spent. You'll know exactly where you stand. I doubt anyone here can give you good advice without seeing the complete paper trail.

Will be interested to know how you get on.

Edited by westiemum

Why don't you try and get the dog into your name only? If you have proof that the other owner is no longer a member of an ANKC state body you should be able to get the dog into your name only.

Is there a contract anywhere that states the dog must live with you? If not why can't it live with your family member but still be owned by yourself?

Hey BoldNFearless.

Not an enviable position that you're in. It's a good warning to others never to 'co-own'.

How many dogs have you co owned ???

To the OP i have co owned dogs for over 20 yrs ,the requirements well known well before committing so only you know what was in mutual agreement .

I would consider going to your state body & seeing if there are any options that you can pursue if wish to still show the dog or breed with the dog .

If you still have access to the dog with the family member im not sure that will be such a big deal ,i gather whilst living with the family member you will keep an eye on the dogs welfare as a responsible co owner .

thank you all ....

there was never any agreement, i paid for the dog and its papers were co owned ... thats it.

i no longer wish to show or breed the dog.

the co owners are now financial after i did a title which is how i found out they werent members so lost everything, so i made sure they rejoined...however because of them not being financial when i did the points etc they are all lost and back to square one..which is why i will no longer be showing the dog.

the family member who might take the dog also has a dog i bred and lives only 5 minutes away .....