Swallowing Large Pieces Of Dried Pigs Ear.

Paul777

G'day everyone.

I'm not certain but suspect that my 12 week old Rotti pup has just swallowed a large piece of dried pigs ear.

He was lying alongside me chewing on what I thought was his pigs ear & when he got up to move there was no pigs ear. I've looked everywhere & can't find it.

When he's chewed them down to a certain size, about 5-6 inches square, I throw it out & replace with a large fresh one. It was getting close to being replaced.

If he had swallowed a piece that large, wouldn't I have heard at least some gagging? He's behaving perfectly normally.

It's just that I can't find the piece anywhere.

If he has swallowed a large piece of dried pigs ear, should I be concerned?

EDIT; Rebanne made me realise that it was more like 3 inches square, doh! :o

Edited by Paul777

Lol. Thanks Rebanne.

I had to call the vet to make an appointment for his puppy booster shot tomorrow anyway & they basically said the same thing : )

I can't imagine him being able to swallow it without a sound.

Yesterday I found him chewing on a two inch piece of broken glass, that he must've found under/behind the fridge, the little terror.

Just thank your lucky stars you don't have a Labrador puppy... you should see what manages to get swallowed and passed through just fine by a Lab... scary!

One of my Rotti boys decided to chew carpet when he was a pup... and ended up with a rather embarrassing dangler that mummy had to help him pass fully... *sigh*... things you do for your furkids...

T.

Oh don't remind me tdierikx, my Rotti pup loves chewing the frayed edges of my carpet & have um ... had to assist completion of his business once already, hahaha.

I've got long hair & he seems to ingest some of that also.

I actually keep a little plastic bag in my pocket when going out to toilet for that very purpose, just in case, lol.

If I could communicate just one message to pup, it would be 'Whatever you swallow mate, just remember it has to come out the other end!'

Edited by Paul777

Oh don't remind me tdierikx, my Rotti pup loves chewing the frayed edges of my carpet & have um ... had to assist completion of his business once already, hahaha.

I've got long hair & he seems to ingest some of that also.

I actually keep a little plastic bag in my pocket when going out to toilet for that very purpose, just in case, lol.

If I could communicate just one message to pup, it would be 'Whatever you swallow mate, just remember it has to come out the other end!'

You know you have a Labrador when you don't even bother with hand protection to help them pass something... because you do it so often... lol!

The worst one I have for pica is actually a mutt... she will eat anything at all... and poo patrol is an adventure here... lol!

T.

For some perspective go to the 'They Ate WHAT?" Xray contest in veterinarypracticenews.com (they do this every year so there are several such pages)

http://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/2016xraycontestwinners/

My favorite this year didn't even earn an honorable mention . . .

Finn, a 2 1/2-year-old Labrador retriever, likes to eat lots of different things. She wasn’t her normal perky self when she presented after vomiting up a piece of a pacifier. A radiograph revealed suspicious material in her stomach and small intestines. A further history of her gustatory adventures included possibly eating a peach pit a few weeks earlier.

We performed abdominal exploratory surgery and recovered 23 green pacifiers (mostly intact), one peach pit, multiple pieces of white plastic and a black foam nipple.

Funnier still, there were no babies in Finn’s house. She collected the pacifiers over multiple visits to a relative’s house.

Finn made a beautiful recovery and is still a Lab who likes to eat.

Must have been an elephant ear to get down to 5 inches square. I doubt there will be a problem but just be on the look out for a bit of funny poo, either extra hard or extra soft.

I was thinking 'elephant ear'??? Consulting a ruler I see my guesstimate skills are wildly out of whack.

Let's revise that to 3 inches square, lol. Then I throw them out.

Strange thing is, I still haven't found the pigs ear & pup is usual self.

You know you have a Labrador when you don't even bother with hand protection to help them pass something... because you do it so often... lol!

The worst one I have for pica is actually a mutt... she will eat anything at all... and poo patrol is an adventure here... lol!

T.

Labradors have been very special doggies to me since childhood. At 4yo I was jumped on by an overgrown, over-playful GSD pup & was terrified of dogs from then on.

It was a neighbours gorgeous Lab that taught me to trust dogs again.

But that's really stretching the friendship T. I put a plastic bag in my pocket after finding that 'assisting completion' with an uncooperative pup in one hand & trying to use 2 sticks like chopsticks in the other, really doesn't cut it. Now if it has a handy string of carpet hanging out the end ...........

Sandgrubber

What a link. That is just downright scary.

And what about the TWO rubber ducks, swallowed without chewing!

It makes me wonder how blind people keep their seeing-eye Labs safe. It looks like they'll eat anything that's not tied down.

T.

I worry about Labrador stereotypes. They aren't all that bad.

Almost every Lab I've known, and I've owned around 20, has been a gutzer, and will eat almost anything that falls on the floor when I'm cooking. They also happily eat acorns. I've owned a few that tear their plastic toys andM tennis balls to pieces and the pieces decorate their poos. However, the only thing I've ever had to help one pass is long strands of grass, and that's pretty rare. My present trio won't even steal from the food bin when I forget to put the lid on it . . . and none of them has ever turned over a trash can.

Trouble, my Lab, used to destroy and ingest (and pass) black kongs!

She'd be your stereotypical fat Lab if owned by someone who thought that was the norm for the breed. One of my friends keeps saying she wants to take Trouble home and give her a good feed... no matter that her own 2 Labs ended up having to be euthed at a younger age than they could have reached due to the fact that they were grossly overweight and simply fell apart... *sigh*

T.

Many years ago one of our Labs escaped. He was found many miles away in a park.

On the drive home he threw up a plastic bag containing leftover barbeque chicken pieces!

It was one of those smaller carry bags that some take-away shops use. He must have been too hungry to open it!

However, the only thing I've ever had to help one pass is long strands of grass, and that's pretty rare.

I had to do that with Monty yesterday :vomit: hahaha. That was somehow a first for us!

As with the pigs ear swallowing, your pup should be ok :-) Just keep an eye on the bowel motions and if he seems to have a very sore tummy for some reason, he should be ok though.

Monty was a terror with eating things he shouldn't. He has chewed (eaten some) of a torch, 3 ant rid baits which I had to check if they were poisonous (they aren't), 2 mouse traps (had peanut butter on them and were hidden where we thought he couldn't get to!), his home made agility jump, a bit of the decking on my Grandmother's veranda, 1kg of next door neighbour's dog's dry kibble, many toys, his bed and most recently tucked into a box of those foam packing peanuts!! How he hasn't died I don't know... He also was playing under the hedge in July and got stung by a wasp/bee and had a major allergic reaction! Also spent almost the entirety of October munching on mulberries! And crunches the macadamias when we aren't looking ????Naughty monkey has been stopped these days but we could've relabeled a "staffy bully terror" instead a few months ago haha.

Edited by Scrappi&Monty

We've never found the second battery from the remote that Trouble chewed up as a pup... xrays proved that it wasn't inside her though... but there was some gravel... lol!

Pickles' specialty is coloured bedding... can spot her poos a mile away in the yard... hehe!

Harper only chews things like door jambs and skirting boards, so is crated when she can't be supervised... errr!

T.

Thanks S & M

Zagan is fine, although he gets the hiccups a lot.

Looking at the other pigs ears, some are real leathery & he seems to massage his gums on those. And some of them seem to be easier for him to demolish.

I still haven't found the piece & am starting to think that he chewed it right down?

His poos are really healthy looking (how does a little pup crap such big turds?) firm long stools but not hard & he's acting normal.

My Rotti from years ago was the best behaved house dog ever ...... except when I'd forget to take out the garbage.

If the bin held anything that contained butter or oil, I'd come home to a guilty looking Ponti, who'd hang his head rather than his usual happy greeting.

And then I'd find little pieces of packaging, ripped & sodden from being licked clean, all over the lounge room floor.

On one occasion, I'd left a dozen stale 'special cookies' in the bin. On my return, Ponti was prostrate at the door, I thought he was dead. Nuh, just very stoned, with a grin from ear to ear. He had eaten the lot, enough for 12 people :eek: He slept over 30 hours & his failing back legs were fine from then on.

• 2 weeks later...

I've realised what happened to the pigs ear. He ate it.

What took him weeks to chew from 8 weeks old, he now demolishes in a couple of hours, lol.

Worried for nothing. That's what I get for listening to a mate who believes everything he reads on the internet (he read that dried pigs ear sat like leather in a dogs stomach - what a load of codswallop)