Male & Female Dogs, Something I Noticed..

Guest crazydoglady99

Guest crazydoglady99

Hey all,

Bit of a random thread, but I am curious if this is something others have noticed.

My female dog, although loyal to me as her feeder/walker/person of fun - if I was to sleep in (for example), would want to come and say good morning, but then prefer to remain with the rest of the family. With exception of my son, he is definitely her favourite.

My male dog (and all previous male dogs), always preferred to be with me. If I were to sleep in (again as an example) they would be wanting to snooze with me, regardless of what anyone else was doing.

Do any dolers notice similar differences between the males & females?

Fyi they are both desexed, all previous dogs were also - not sure if that makes any difference?

I have 2 entire males (one of Em's pups home for Christmas!) and 2 entire girls. I wouldn't say they are different in terms of how loving I find them - my girls are happiest when they have some sort of direct contact and they all follow me from room to room - but they are different to train...the boys tend to be dependable whereas the girls have a level of fieriness and independent thinking which I really enjoy....it's like you are connected by the most delicate of silk threads that could snap at any time. Living on the edge :laugh: Just super exciting when it all comes together!

I better help even this thread out ;)

Girls are better for me, although boys have their place. Can't say I find their personalities too different, except girls have a bit more of an edge and focus, which I like, while boys are a bit... dopey. Haven't noticed a difference in either being "more loving" than the other.

Unfortunately likely to go a boy with future second dog purely for the mixed gender pair and because of the whole "dopey boy" thing. (Would honestly prefer another girl, but in the end a dog is a dog and they're not that different. Just find dicks get in the way of some good tummy rubbing :laugh: ).

Edited by Thistle the dog

Males - more sooky, more needy, easier to tell them what to do.

Females - more independent, more stubborn, smarter

Our old dog - well if you were at home sick she'd abandon you and wait til the healthy one came home. She was also a very good judge of people too.

Current adult dog - he gets it eventually but where it took the old dog 3 tries to get something (trick, training, etc) it can take him 300 repeats to kinda get the idea. Some things he picks up on quickly but others well he tries really hard to work it out. Food toys - well he eventually learnt the basic food ball but dont even bother with a buster cube and the like. Doesnt get mirrors - will stare at the back of your head wont worry about the reflection.

Female puppy - smart as - all food puzzles as early as 10 weeks not a problem, got mirrors and reflections from the time she could see in them. She will look you in the eye in the mirror reflection and then back at you when you turn around. Can be hard to outthink sometimes but picked up obedience commands very quickly.

'Andy don't you listen to Thistle' - great tummy rubs happen here despite any protrusion! rofl1.gif

ETA: And he's not 'dopey'! Far from it - he's very clever for a puppy farm rescue boy!

They get in the way! Like, I get you're happy mate but pack it away come on! :laugh: Future dogs if boys get the tummy rub test, if I can rub the tummy without anything getting in the way then they're okay with me ;)

I find males tend to be more biddable in my breed, girls can be a bit more challenging. Although if you're lucky sometimes they'll be smarter & "challenging" in the right way - my bitch breaks up any fights & doesn't let the other dogs chase the chooks. Makes my life a bit easier laugh.gif

A lot of puppy buyers just want females, thinking they're more affectionate - mine are affectionate but nowhere near as much as the boys from what I've found.

Rubiton, I have the opposite. My male dogs have been very clever and do the mirror thing etc. The female isn't as smart. Well, I think that's subjective. If something is important to her, then she gets it, otherwise she's not the sharpest.

I put the differences in behaviour down to breeds. The males have been terriers - staffy and westie - the female is a cocker.

Terrier personalities suit me. The cocker is a nice dog but obviously different to terriers.

My male dogs are the ones to shadow me. The female does her own thing, but likes cuddles etc

I put some of the difference down to having the males from pups vs being the females' fourth home before she turned 3. So she's been understandably reserved.