Pyometra And Pregnancy

Donna

Hi, our gal Tiff (st Bernard) is 7 weeks pregnant, she was taken to the emergency vet 2 days ago with inappetance, excessive thirst, lethargy, but inability to settle, distended abdomen, hard panting and digging, attempts to vomit and some diarrhoea, no temp and some vag discharge with a heavy bacterial growth. She did settle the next day, discharged on clavulox and USS was unremarkable and puppies doing ok. Since yesterday afternoon she has had a significant per vag discharge to the point its on her tail and hocks but she is better in herself, eating well, no excessive thirst and no lethargy. The discharge has now changed from yellow/green to brown/ green with no odour. I am suspecting an open pyo as there is too much discharge for it to be vaginitis has anyone else experienced pyo in pregnancy? She is being monitored very closely and any change in her current status at all she will be straight back to the vet. The USS did not show any thickening of the uterine wall or any collection either :confused:

I had a similar discharge in a bitch of mine around the same stage. We scanned herand watched her every move as the discharge got heavier and heavier until I made the vet csection her about 61 days. There was a dead puppy there but all the other puppies and my bitch wrre fine. At no stage did she have a temperature or act anything other than normal, just a horrible green discharge.

After all that, it wasn't gastro, it wasn't pyo but a drop in progesterone, it was at resting progesterone level, sadly discovered far too late, we will be burying 5 puppies at this stage. There is still one heartbeat detectable on ultrasound but we are not holding out much hope, she was 5 days with no detectable progesterone, so very sad all round :(

:) That is good to hear that that little heart keeps on going.

Poor Tippy having to go through the tests but please God it will be all worth it with an amazing baby at the end of it all.

Hurry up Wednesday. Is this day 63? I have had puppies born at 59 to 63 days gestation, so if your vet feels that to save the baby before Wednesday do not panic, they are usually very viable.

She will be day 62 day post ovulation on Wednesday, the vet did suggest Mon or Tues but given what's just happened I would rather leave longer if possible. The thing is she was TCI on a Friday and the Monday so we are working from the Friday, it could still be very prem if conception was the Monday and as she is having progesterone injections we have no way of knowing exactly where she is at so its daily assessment. Today her progesterone had dropped markedly to 26 so she has had another injection to cover her for tomorrow with further assay and USS on Monday. The prog was 94.5 the day after injection, 87.3 2 days after and then bam 26 three days after, we have everything crossed but no high expectations :(

I can understand how you feel, but at least you seem to have a wonderful vet and I am sure that with the monitoring that is being done they will do the right thing and take the puppy when they think it is right, with only one puppy, I am only speaking from experience here, she may not go into labor so that has to be taken into consideration, I had an elective c section done on my girl last year for the singleton, she was day 62.

Oh wow what a drop in her progesterone, no wonder she is having difficulty in holding onto her pregnancy.

Fingers crossed and a prayer that she will at least make it through to Tuesday, will anxiously be waiting to see how it all goes.

Hi Mjosa, we could not detect a heartbeat last Monday, we elected to go to Caesar and sadly the baby was dead, the placenta had detached at some stage over the weekend. We will be burying 5 little girls and one little boy together. The really sad thing is that we collected blood for a prog assay the previous Thursday night but she was diagnosed cautiously with gastro, had it been sent off instead of discarded maybe the outcome would have been better :(  bless her she has bounced back really well and is not looking for them. The real smack in the face is we are currently raising a litter of 5 staffie x puppies for WAPP, the mom was dumped by a back yarder 8 weeks pregnant, she is about 7 and has had too many litters left on her far too long over her life.

:kissbetter: Oh Donna that is just such sad news about your beautiful babies, breeding is such a hard thing to deal with at times and this is one of them, when I had not heard anything for a while I felt a little sad at heart thinking the worst, bless those precious little souls.

Glad that your girl Tipsy has bounced back, hopefully you will have better luck next time around.

There is the irony and well done you for taking on that poor Mother and her babies, some that were obviously not planned nor wanted, but they are in safe hands with you.:)