French Bulldog Racks Up 215K Vet Bill

Guest crazydoglady99

Yup! You beat me!! Thanks Gruf!

Cute dog isn't it. Lucky they had insurance.

They're not a dog that float my boat but Jones sure is lucky to have landed on his paws with the owners he got!

Yup! You beat me!! Thanks Gruf!

Cute dog isn't it. Lucky they had insurance.

They're not a dog that float my boat but Jones sure is lucky to have landed on his paws with the owners he got!

a member of my family has bought a cute little one, he isnt 3 months old and is going to need surgery to shorten his palette he has such difficulty breathing, another friends mum lost their's during the heat wave he died before they could get him to the vet, breathing difficulty too. he was only 7 months old.

I gather if you want to get one, pet insurance is certainly a very good idea

Edited by asal

I wish Health Insurance companies would get it together to have some type of discount for dogs bred from health tested parents, or whatever genetic testing\x'rays might be relevant for the breed in question. I'm sure it would offer some type of incentive for people to buy a little more carefully.

I wish Health Insurance companies would get it together to have some type of discount for dogs bred from health tested parents, or whatever genetic testing\x'rays might be relevant for the breed in question. I'm sure it would offer some type of incentive for people to buy a little more carefully.

Makes sense to me, but LOL I can imagine the wording : "

Your Cuddlehound is not covered for Breed Specific Genetic Conditions, unless we have sighted (A) DNA tests of both parents declaring them both to be NN for all such conditions; (B) DNA proof of parentage linked to your Cuddlehound's microchip ID and © both items have been duly notarised by an Authority acceptable to us.

If those requirements are satisfied, we are happy to cover those conditions in your pet!"

Already there are exclusions such as only one round of treatment is covered for an ailment, any future treatment won't be covered under the "pre-existing" clause. For instance if your puppy is treated for an injured joint that is covered, but years later if he develops arthritis in that joint that won't be covered because it is deemed as pre-existing due to the earlier injury.

Some policies make entire body parts "pre-existing" and won't cover any future claims. For example any skin complaints at all ( excema, allegies etc.) won't be covered once a claim has been paid on ANY skin complaint ( e.g. mild demodex in a puppy) eek1.gif. So you do need to compare the fine print when choosing an insurer!

Yes, unless they are extremely well bred, Frenchies aren't the healthiest little chaps. And with such popularity these days the BYB and puppy millers are selling them for upwards of $3,000. I've seen "rare" colours that "carry blue & fawn" for nearly $9000.... and then the new owners often have to go and pay even more for vet bills in a few months time.

Not sure of how long the poor pup will have to deal with this, but are they talking keeping him on all those meds for the rest of his life? And the prescription diet being eaten upright only? Sounds like not much fun for anyone :(

Yes, unless they are extremely well bred, Frenchies aren't the healthiest little chaps. And with such popularity these days the BYB and puppy millers are selling them for upwards of $3,000. I've seen "rare" colours that "carry blue & fawn" for nearly $9000.... and then the new owners often have to go and pay even more for vet bills in a few months time.

Not sure of how long the poor pup will have to deal with this, but are they talking keeping him on all those meds for the rest of his life? And the prescription diet being eaten upright only? Sounds like not much fun for anyone :(

it isn't. Adult dogs get this as well. My old girl had it and while I didn't feed her upright I did a lot of things to help her out. In the end she was miserable so was PTS.

I don't think these sorts of problems are specific to this breed. As part of his GOLPP, Mac was fed using an elevated bowl to help gut motility.

Agreed Rabanne. Sadly I suspect this pup won't have a very long life but good on his family for giving it a go.

Edited by westiemum