Foundation Cav Bitch

TCP

This is my best-dog-in-the-world, Misty. She's aka Misty The Wonderdog :heart:

15826087_10154280119060488_8985789469349567045_n.jpg?oh=c91ade5b264c582ad9c266e7a3ff14c7&oe=58DD8389

We love her. She's a support dog for my son who has Autism and just spreads love to all of us. However at the age of 8, she has a level 5 heart murmur, she's had issues with sensitive skin, eye issues, and is now showing some neurological issues - possibly Syringomyelia :( We purchased her from a registered breeder as a puppy, who had apparently done all heath checks.

After planning for years, and moving to a rural area in Victoria with heaps of land, I now want to get back into breeding dogs (we used to breed and show Shetland Sheepdogs, many years ago) and my dream is to have a line of Cavvies that are clear of 'issues' such as her heart murmur. I don't want another family falling in love with their Cav, only to deal with what we are facing in the next few years.

My question is, how can I find a pup to train and love and if she's suitable, to breed?

I have completed the Victorian Dog Breeding Course, and will be joining the Cav Club in Victoria. While I'm waiting my year to obtain the prefix, I can continue to work / plan towards our goal.

There don't seem to be many shows here where I can meet other breeders, and all listings / advertisements that I see have pups available on Limited Register only so I'm not sure where to start for a foundation bitch?

You are in Victoria? Cause the State under your profile pic says Queensland which is the default. I'd be making contact with breeders and and getting to know them, and they to know you. Health tests don't always guarantee you don't end up with a problem. I'd be looking at how old grand parents and great grandparents are and what their health is like for starters. You might meet some resistance on getting a good quality bitch pup as most breeders would be wary of "oodle" breeders trying to get one of their pups. You need to be very open and honest.

Thank you. Yes, we were in Qld and I haven't changed it over yet. :) Doh!

Thank you for the tips. I didn't think of being seen as an 'oodle' breeder - why would you bother when Cavvies are 1000 times better :D

You will really need to build up a rapport with your selected breeder.

CKCS are sadly popular with puppy farmers and BYBs, so be open to half-way measures before your get your desired foundation bitch such as first owning a dog or bitch in joint names, so that you can build up lots of evidence of trust and best intentions.

It will probably take you a few years to decide on the breeder and the line that you want, make use of that time to become known and trusted. Joining the breed club AND actively attending all he club functions that you can is an excellent start in that direction. I have no idea if your state breed club has internal politics or "clumps" of members who are at odds with each other - I hope not - but it does sometimes happen, if it does try not to be blindsided by that.

Finding a pup easy ,finding a pup to just breed with difficult.Remember your dream is no different to any good cavalier breeder and even the best produce issues and that is something you need to be realistic about .

Puppy listings are irrelevant at present,you need to be contactingbreeders and discussing what your intentions are,what they are trying to do to minimise the risks .You need to see who is out there ,be prepared for lots of questions and many will say no because like already mentioned cavies are popular for cross breeding and people just breeding them

Like Showdog said, you're best off getting to know a breeder with a similar goal to you & the type of dog you like, then go from there with them as your mentor. If you build a relationship with someone, demonstrate a willingness to learn & trustworthiness you shouldn't have an issue eventually getting a foundation bitch. Usually breeders are more willing to offer boys on Mains for showing & if you put in the hard yards & prove you're in for the long haul you'll be taken seriously :)

This is what worked for me;

Find the "type" and line that you like. Research that further for health problems etc. Find breeders with those lines. Contact and start communication with all that interest you. Some will reply, others won't. If you are open and honest you will find someone willing to help and mentor you. Be prepared to wait and pay for what you want. I find breeders respond best when you provide more detail about yourself, your interests and dog experience.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you. I'll definitely contact Jed :)

ETA - Doh! Jed cannot receive messages so if anyone knows Jed, or Jed if you see this, please message me? :o

Edited by TCP