Congestive Heart Failure

Scottsmum

I’d be getting an appointment at Animal Referral Hospital Homebush. I can’t think of anything much worse than not having confidence in your vet. :(

Congestive heart failure or heart murmur --- is there a difference? I don’t know.

I remember a long time ago a vet telling me that most animals who live long enough (and must humans) will have some sort of murmur to some degree.

Hope your rellie can get good and sensible advice and management program.

A heart murmur is just a noise in the heart and it can sometimes be totally harmless and can go away all by itself. Othertimes it may be an indication of a leaky heart valve which can sometimes (not always) go on to become heart failure which is of course serious. I know because I had a heart murmur and I have been one of the unlucky ones who needed surgery to replace my mitral valve. People who have a leaky valve can mostly lead normal lives. They just need to take penicillin when they have dental work done because any germs from tooth decay once they enter the blood stream go straight to the heart valves where they can cause infection. I would imagine that for a dog with a murmur dental care would be very important. I would love to know what Rappie said.

I didn't ask Rappie for advice just contact details so we didnt have to make an appointment for "Dr Rappie" lol - should they choose to see her

And if they need meds i still have almost full new bottles of ozzies, i bought a fresh supply a few days before we lost him, and they are not cheap!

Juice do you want to sell the meds you have. Do you have Fortekor? If so I'm interested. Would you message me please if you're interested.

• 2 weeks later...

If they are able to get a referral to SASH - Dr Rita Singh is the cardiologist there and she is wonderful. She will be able to conduct scans and give a clear indication of prognosis. She looked after my 7 year old weimaraner with myxomatous mitral and tricuspid valve degeneration (MMVD and MTVD) with severe left sided cardiac enlargement, ventricular premature contractions and congestive heart failure. 

Best wishes.