Puppy Photos

Paul777

Hi Paul 777, yes it has been hard on my son losing both of them so close together, so fit and healthy looking when I was in Sydney the beginning of Nov last year, to what has just happened to them, my heart breaks.

No it was not from fretting that Jackson passed so soon after Maya, they found out that she had cancer of the lungs and would have passed within a few days of her being taken to the vet, was not coping with the terrible heat, panting, the day that it cooled down my son noticed that she was still panting for no apparent reason so off to the vet and she did not come home until a week later in a beautiful box.

Jackson seemed to be coping, our son was down to Adelaide for a few days between Christmas and New year, got home on the Sunday and by Monday Jackson did not want to eat or drink so off to the first vet who kept him for four days and let him come home saying if not better in a few days to bring him back, of course my son was in touch with me every day, told him to get a second opinion and I recommended a vet that I know of near where he lives, got in on the Saturday, taking all the info from the first vet, said xrays do not show anything be skeletal, so gave him a berium meal to see further into it, son got a call that Jackson actually had a massive stomach tumor, so once again the dreaded cancer has taken two more beautiful dogs, it seems to me, I could be wrong, but this cancer seems to be the major cause of death in this beautiful breed.

Mjosa that's so sad :(

Zagan is gorgeous! He's so little still, for some reason I was picturing an older pup.

I do the cough/"ahem" throat clear with my occasionally naughty Aussie Shepherd too :laugh: She is 5 though so definitely knows her cues.

Edited by Simply Grand

On 18/01/2017 at 5:18 PM, Mjosa said:

Hi Paul 777, yes it has been hard on my son losing both of them so close together, so fit and healthy looking when I was in Sydney the beginning of Nov last year, to what has just happened to them, my heart breaks.

No it was not from fretting that Jackson passed so soon after Maya, they found out that she had cancer of the lungs and would have passed within a few days of her being taken to the vet, was not coping with the terrible heat, panting, the day that it cooled down my son noticed that she was still panting for no apparent reason so off to the vet and she did not come home until a week later in a beautiful box.

Jackson seemed to be coping, our son was down to Adelaide for a few days between Christmas and New year, got home on the Sunday and by Monday Jackson did not want to eat or drink so off to the first vet who kept him for four days and let him come home saying if not better in a few days to bring him back, of course my son was in touch with me every day, told him to get a second opinion and I recommended a vet that I know of near where he lives, got in on the Saturday, taking all the info from the first vet, said xrays do not show anything be skeletal, so gave him a berium meal to see further into it, son got a call that Jackson actually had a massive stomach tumor, so once again the dreaded cancer has taken two more beautiful dogs, it seems to me, I could be wrong, but this cancer seems to be the major cause of death in this beautiful breed.

That's just terrible.

Yes, I keep hearing of cancer in Rottis. Whether this has been the case or a late phenomena I'm not sure. I hadn't heard it in the past.

My suspicion lays with yearly vaccinations (bad reactions & even death in people from vaccinations cost BigPharma so much that they threatened the U.S. govt. to cover insurance or they'd cease manufacture) & other chemicals/harmaceuticals pushed by the Vet Industry (as advised by Harmaceutical co's off-course)

Apart from his puppy vaccinations, which are a necessary evil IMO, I'm debating whether he'll have another.

My beautiful old boy lived to 14yo, ate a raw meaty bone diet, topical flea treatments & only had his course of puppy vaccines.

It's sad that we all only want whats best for our dogs & rely on 'expert' advice that may be the cause of illness &/or worse. 

Hope your sons able to bring home a new companion/s a lot sooner than I could :  )

22 hours ago, Simply Grand said:

Zagan is gorgeous! He's so little still, for some reason I was picturing an older pup.

I do the cough/"ahem" throat clear with my occasionally naughty Aussie Shepherd too :laugh: She is 5 though so definitely knows her cues.

I had promised them for so long I had to post his little 8 week old pics (because he's so cute)

Atm he's been hassling me for his dinner since 5pm, lol. If I feed him too early he'll be waking me at 4am for breakfast (if I'm not up by 6am he'll wake me - same as my boy did when he was a toddler, lol) He's always so ravenous.

After I've fed him, I'll try to attach some updated pics.

23 hours ago, Simply Grand said:

Aussie Shepherds are so intelligent that I'd KNOW when they were messing with me.

When I got Zagan, I promised that I wouldn't compare him to my beautiful old boy, who could read my mind & vise-versa, it just wouldn't be fair.

A few times I've thought that maybe Zagan just isn't too bright, a bit of a boofhead maybe.

The last few days have been way too hot for any training, where Zagan just rests all day & is too energetic after breakfast & dinner to try.

Today being nice & cool, I took advantage of his ravenous appetite & got his can of kibble out around mid-day.

For 15 minutes, he sat, dropped, stayed & came almost perfectly (came off 'stay' twice) He's not thick at all, the little bugger.

These two pics are Zagan at 12-13 weeks old.

20170112_183751.jpg

20170114_194155.jpg

On 18/01/2017 at 9:45 AM, tdierikx said:

He sounds like a completely normal cheeky 14 week old pup to me... lol!

T.

As I'm rediscovering!

I must've completely forgotten what they're like. Now you're going to tell me that they miraculously snap out of it & become perfectly obedient by 6 months old. Right? Please?

10 hours ago, Paul777 said:

Now you're going to tell me that they miraculously snap out of it & become perfectly obedient by 6 months old. Right? Please?

Nope... lol! There will most likely be a naughty teen stage from about 18 months to 2 years where he might try pushing boundaries again...

You are doing really well so far... keep up the great work.

T.

• 4 years later...

Hello everyone.

A very sad update on Zagan [better late than never] 
as he grew it became clear that Zagan had a real bad case of PICA. 
He'd eat anything; grass, gravel, bark, dirt, anything. 
Zagan would fill his guts with whatever [despite watching him like a hawk] then I'd be awoken at around 2am to the sound of him retching before spewing his stomach contents on the bedroom floor. 
Lack of sleep took it's toll on my already compromised health.

As he grew I had no choice but to muzzle him when he went outside. Despite trying two types of muzzles Zagan still managed to gorge on crap. 
In the end I had to take him to toilet muzzled and on a leash. I built a paved enclosure to keep him safe when he needed to be outside. 

Although it became clear that Zagan had behavioural issues, he really had me questioning my dog training and handling skills. he was not stupid, learning all the basic commands, it was that life was one big game to Zagan. He would not listen/obey unless I stood over him and roared.

But I persevered. At 12mo my vet advised I'd done my best and there was only one course of action but I could not give up on him. 
Hindsight shows that I was delusional to think otherwise but dog people urged me to keep trying, that Zagan MIGHT settle by 18mo. 

We didn't get there. At 16mo Zagan was 60kg and a real handful. 
He triggered a back injury by being boisterous and silly. I was in incredible pain and could not walk quicker than a shuffle and needed to be in a hospital bed.

Over the next three days I'd have to let Zagan out to toilet on a long rope as I braced myself at the back door. 
Over those few days I contacted every local kennel then moved beyond. 
As soon as I mentioned "behavioural issues, chronic PICA and 60kg" no kennel was equipped [or willing] to board him. 
My health deteriorated over those 3 days. [As it turns out I was suffering from diverticulitis as well - try getting to the WC when the sudden urge strikes when barely able to move] 

By the 3rd day I had no other choice than to send Zagan to the rainbow bridge.
Although I never really enjoyed Zagan, I loved the ratbag and bawled like a little girl. [getting a bit teary just writing this]
An ambulance took me to hospital where I stayed for over a week.  

My mistake was that in my excitement at getting a pup I did not do my research.
Zagan was a bob-tail though I've since wondered that since he was from a very large litter [12] he may have been one of the last and may have suffered from a lack of oxygen. 

A very sad ending. 
My beautiful old Rotti boy will have taken him under his wing and will be keeping him in line. 
Until we meet again you big lug. 

That was it for me, no more dogs, my health just couldn't handle going through similar again . . . .  never say never . . . 

• Sad 2

Oh, Paul- that is so very sad. 
Thank you for the update- I can imagine how hard it was for you to write it . 
You put in so much work ..for your boy, who , as you say may have indeed had brain damage and would never be 'right' - and your health was paramount!
I hope you heal well , and that one day, with experienced help, you find a four legged companion who will help fill the void. 

2 hours ago, persephone said:

Oh, Paul- that is so very sad. 
Thank you for the update- I can imagine how hard it was for you to write it . 
You put in so much work ..for your boy, who , as you say may have indeed had brain damage and would never be 'right' - and your health was paramount!
I hope you heal well , and that one day, with experienced help, you find a four legged companion who will help fill the void. 

Thank you. 

Looking back I realise that the need to be in a hospital bed to recover was actually the best outcome because I needed to be put in that position to face the realisation that despite my best efforts, Zagan "would not ever be right".

No way could I have sought to rehome him or surrender him to the pound because he would have been confused and possibly afraid. 
It was my responsibility to do what was right by him [and myself] 

Sometimes ones best is just not good enough but I'm relaxed knowing that I gave him every chance and went above and beyond in my efforts. 

You've found my thread on Chewie. If you had said "find a four legged companion" before Chewie arrived, I would have said 'nuh-uh, never again' lol. 

• Thanks 1