Insurance.

Ruby-Rose

hi, I have a reg business with an ABN, registered breeder and a DAB and can't find a company now to insure my home as i run my business from home, along with many dog breeders. My pups are raised in the home and i have customers coming onto and inside my property, so now insurance company i had is no longer covering me:( i breed 3 litters per year. I dont need my dogs insured i need my home insured :(

Talk to the different insurance companies.

Explain that you only want normal home insurance with the public liability to extend to any customers visiting. You may have to sign a waiver that excludes any dog-caused home damage, but because your business is registered at your home address you will need to document approximately how often and how many "customers" you have visiting.

Or you may find it worthwhile to explain all this to a broker and let them find the best deal for you.

Talk to the different insurance companies.

Explain that you only want normal home insurance with the public liability to extend to any customers visiting. You may have to sign a waiver that excludes any dog-caused home damage, but because your business is registered at your home address you will need to document approximately how often and how many "customers" you have visiting.

Or you may find it worthwhile to explain all this to a broker and let them find the best deal for you.

thank you i have spoken to a broker who also is having trouble apparently a lot small farms are having problems getting insurance too.

i have tried to tell ins coy i only want the house insured not the business side, and i am prepared to have exclusions etc but nope dont want a bar of dog breeders from what i can gather.

All of which underlines what a stinking rotten business insurance is.

type delete, no point going on about it.

Brokers are your best allies, direct with the companies is like Red Riding Hood asking the Big Bad Wolf about recipes. Ask more brokers, or banks, even ones that don't hold your mortgage (if any) won't charge for a first consult, and will know what's available.

All of which underlines what a stinking rotten business insurance is.

type delete, no point going on about it.

Brokers are your best allies, direct with the companies is like Red Riding Hood asking the Big Bad Wolf about recipes. Ask more brokers, or banks, even ones that don't hold your mortgage (if any) won't charge for a first consult, and will know what's available.

thanks i am working on them at the moment, its a nightmare for anyone who thinks their home insurance covers them when breeding pups now though.

Edited by Ruby-Rose

When I ran my grooming from home I had to have separate biz ins to cover injury to clients dogs, cash and equipment etc. your situation is different. Umm is it possible to have bus insurance that covers the home as well?

Or once you've declared a business at home perhaps it's clear cut in the eyes of insurers that you need biz insurance separately?

Just another knock on effect of punitive laws

Isn't dog breeding just classified as a hobby by the ATO?

Not anymore as in Vic we have to have a Domestic Animal Business which is really the same as a permit, ATO uses the word ' business' and says we have to have an ABN and reg business.

When I ran my grooming from home I had to have separate biz ins to cover injury to clients dogs, cash and equipment etc. your situation is different. Umm is it possible to have bus insurance that covers the home as well?

Or once you've declared a business at home perhaps it's clear cut in the eyes of insurers that you need biz insurance separately?

Just another knock on effect of punitive laws

yep i have to have both.